WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Old style for a new watch

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Peter Atwood 
#1 ·
These two watches :p had been produced between 1930/1940 for air forces crew.

The Longines had been issued mainly to Czechoslovakian Air Force, the Zenith was used by German Luftwaffe.
Many other brands such as Omega, Titus, IWC, Doxa and others produced this type of watch for air forces, so that they became a classic military watch. |>
My thinking: do you think this type of watch could be interesting for being produced today by any watchmaker? Would you buy it?
In my opinion, a brand such as Stowa could be do it easily (the MO could be a starting point).
Opinions, please... :-D

See less See more
#8 ·
:p
Congrats, Ron!!! :gold
Awesome Longines. It should be the L15-26 calibre, by the dial.... isn't it?

Thanks for sharing!!!
To be honest Ugo, I don't know.
As you know, to get to the movement you have to take out the whole inner case with the movement and dial, and then open it up. There is to much risk that I'll damage the dial and/or hands for me to open it up.

#12 ·
My thinking: do you think this type of watch could be interesting for being produced today by any watchmaker? Would you buy it?
The sub-second design fell out of use in the 1930s, as the high speed of flying made the precise reading of seconds necessary. The Longines was one of the last aviation watches with subseconds, IIRC because there were not enough center-second movements available. Personally, I find the center-seconds very distinctive for aviation watches, and would not desire a small-second aviation watch. :)

Having said that, Eddie Platts at http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/index.php has been preparing a CAF Longines homage watch for some time now. If that project bears fruit, you can have your homage. Also, there is a Zeno watch which is very close to the CAF Longines (member "abraxas" has one, I don't remember the exact details).

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks, Martin

I know the Zeno's homage, but I think something coming with MO decorated calibre would be sweet!!!

The Zeno is a very good reproduction. In terms of movement ... as it is a solid back, it cannot be seen. In order to see the movement you would have to increase the height.

For a modern interpretation, see the Junghans Pilot Chronoscope range (with the Junghans 88 bezel). In the pic is the chrono version but it can be had in time-only and in PVD.

john

#14 ·
Interesting that you should post this. I was thinking of a putting up a very similar post lately. What I want is a classic railroad track on the outside with those blocky arabic numerals done in superluminova outlined with black. I want it to look totally vintage but make the case a modern size such as 40-42mm. Hand wind is Ok or auto just as long as the whole ensemble is well executed. The hands should not be like what you posted though, I would prefer simple sword style. A nice crown would be nice too.

Why is no modern manufacturer making such a watch?

#16 ·
Interesting that you should post this. I was thinking of a putting up a very similar post lately. What I want is a classic railroad track on the outside with those blocky arabic numerals done in superluminova outlined with black. I want it to look totally vintage but make the case a modern size such as 40-42mm. Hand wind is Ok or auto just as long as the whole ensemble is well executed. The hands should not be like what you posted though, I would prefer simple sword style. A nice crown would be nice too.

Why is no modern manufacturer making such a watch?
Have you checked out the Aristo range?

#17 ·
I'm personaly crazy about the Zenith with the wire lugs!
If a redo of one of them came up, I would buy it in a heart beat!
These old designs weren't just simple, legible and super functional, they also looked absolutely amazing!
If you want to start a petition, just give me a shout, I'm all for it!

These two watches :p had been produced between 1930/1940 for air forces crew.

The Longines had been issued mainly to Czechoslovakian Air Force, the Zenith was used by German Luftwaffe.
Many other brands such as Omega, Titus, IWC, Doxa and others produced this type of watch for air forces, so that they became a classic military watch. |>
In my opinion, a brand such as Stowa could be do it easily (the MO could be a starting point).
Opinions, please... :-D

#20 ·
Aristo is not bad and there's some nice watches there. But still none of them quite get it right for what I had in mind. The ones that are close have annoying fonts or the airplane images.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.