WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. I have been working on this old timex electric watch. The Battery was dead. Is as a Renata 323. I replaced it with an AG5 (393). Here is the issue. If I hold the watch battery in place and spin the wheel it will start ticking. It will not start on its own. I then have to side the backing on as not to loose connection or it will stop. If I manange to get the backing on and it is still ticking as soon as I pull the adjustment pin to set the time the watch will stop. Any ideas? I know this must be basic stuff for you guys.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Likely the oils that are in the joints have dried up. For many watches this is fixed with a disassembly, cleaning, oiling, and reassembly. Most Timex watches are built to be disposable and so servicing is usually not an option.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I notice there are a million oils out there. Oils for the movement, hands, gears. Thick thin medium. Is all that neccesary? If I was to apply oil to see if that the problem. Wheres the best place to start. Oils, greese. Very confusing. I just need basic to get these old watches running.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi

some movements with electrically or electronically controlled balance actually
don't start on their own. They are stopped when pullung the crown for
setting, and the balance gets a start pulse when the crown is pushed down.

Probably your Timex belongs to such kind of designs. Just look for such
starting device; it is usually a fine wire lever stopping the balance, and
striking the balance rim, when the crown is pushed down.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
11,864 Posts
I have noticed a few of my Timex electrics or eletronics do not start without a good shake. Others are OK. I just give them a sharp whack to get them going. This one does:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts