WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just in from Italy - an A386 in good condition all around. Gay Freres bracelet is stamped 3/71. Case has been polished, but the faceting along the top of the case sides remains evident. No logo or case number on the plain case-back, but that is a recognized variant as indicated by the inside of the case-back. Movement is in great shape; original crystal has a flaw on the edge at 9 o'clock. Most importantly, the dial is in wonderful condition. Bonus: the seller supplied a red paddle second hand for free (una lancetta rossa dei secondi) for restoring my A385 that I acquired long ago not realizing the enormity of the missing original (it had been replaced with a paddle-free impostor).

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Bravo, bravo, bravo! The arrival of an A 386 into the family is always an occasion for fireworks and champagne! I am delighted this turned out to be everything promised - hearty congratulations!

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
aaah... everybody's grail ... congratulations !

don't see the bridge signature in your pic, but the movement looks ok

polished case I guess that is normal, including the polishing away of the serial number

the dial and hands are simply great!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ah, now you're talking. These look good in photos but the dial really is a thing of beauty when seen in reality.

Congratulations.

Dave

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
polished case I guess that is normal, including the polishing away of the serial number

the dial and hands are simply great!
Thanks, SV (and Lou, Dave and deep blue)! On the subject of polishing, I'm not sure that it is the culprit for the condition of the case-back, the flat centre of which has a flat grained finish, and is replete with many scratches consistent with its years of use. Normally I would expect a glossy finish if over-polished. From LouS's 'Preliminary Notes' thread: "Interestingly, there also appears to be a plain caseback which I believe was available for watches when the buyer wanted to inscribe the back. This also has a 12 sided polygon, but has no star." But I haven't seen enough examples to know whether a 'D' series case number should nevertheless always be present. Anyone?

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
https://www.watchuseek.com/f27/a386-find-query-579679.html

El Segundo's A386 does have a serial number. Yours will not be the first Zenith El Primero where the serial number was polished away.

Thanks, SV (and Lou, Dave and deep blue)! On the subject of polishing, I'm not sure that it is the culprit for the condition of the case-back, the flat centre of which has a flat grained finish, and is replete with many scratches consistent with its years of use. Normally I would expect a glossy finish if over-polished. From LouS's 'Preliminary Notes' thread: "Interestingly, there also appears to be a plain caseback which I believe was available for watches when the buyer wanted to inscribe the back. This also has a 12 sided polygon, but has no star." But I haven't seen enough examples to know whether a 'D' series case number should nevertheless always be present. Anyone?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Congrats on a rare find!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Wow, that's a beauty, huge congratulations are in order Chris!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts