1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
From the Marrick reference the famous Earnshaw made 1784 Wright 2228 and others. Perrhaps he made this one 2437? At least we know this example is newer than 1784. It is a jeweled movement but not the cylinder which seems a lot like the 50 year earlier George Grahm cylinder. I have 1737 Grahm 5571 that for finish quality looks inferior to the Wright.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
It appears to have four hands...what other functions? Oh sorry, I see its a stopwatch, so hours, minutes seconds, stop-seconds I guess!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Great watches by great names in the world of Horology, especially the Graham. I wouldn't say
the Graham looks inferior to the Wright...square pillars, diamond endstone and I know the Graham
is a Ruby cylinder. In fact both these watches would undoubtably be of the highest quality and
technology available 250+ years ago, amazing condition for their age.
Great pics.

The wright has three hands, the center seconds having a very long counterpoise.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Was Brequet first with the ruby cylinder? Grahm first to make a practical cylinder. The source for the 1737 Grahm who had it for many years said it was not a ruby.. He otherwise accurately described the case, dial and hands an 1812 update. Hope Radger is right. It will be a first if he is not. Now I have to get my lazy self looking for accurate movement description.

Later: Read that the cylinder ruby surface was probably first used by John Arnold 1764. Brequet most famous for its use. Grahm died 1751. Maybe in later Grahm named watches.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
OOps, my bad, artB.
My memories going, did you ever post an antique English
watch with a Ruby cylinder?
I wonder where I dragged that nugget from.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never had a ruby. Actually nice to know The Perfectionist is normally human and can make a simple error.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
:-d
Haha, I'm far from a perfectionist in most things. I'll take your comments as
a compliment as I do try to be accurate even though I don't always succeedo|

1 - 12 of 12 Posts