WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...I received this watch as a gift from my grandfather probably 4-5 years back. It is a sis/gold RO with day and date functions. The exact year of production, I am not 100% sure. When it was gifted to me, it was serviced by a local jeweler in Baltimore MD. They were a very reputable jeweler who my family had used for years. This said, I don't think it was ever sent to AP.

A couple years went by and I wore it only a handful of times. Recently I took it out to wear on a special occasion and all seemed to be functioning properly a few hours later I looked down and it was slow about 5 mins. I figured maybe it wasn't wound and so reset it and continued wearing for the next day. It looked alright until randomly again at sometime the next day, 5 minutes was lost. The time was not gradually lost, but was instead rather sudden.

I reached out to AP but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have any recommendations or maybe a recommended AD or service center near central NJ?

·
Registered
368 Posts
You might try taking your watch to get demagnetized at an AD. Hopefully, that's the problem because it's extremely easy to fix. If not, well, you'll probably need to have an expert look at it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If it were me, I would take it to the AP boutique @65 east 57th street NYC. But just get ready for possible sticker shock of a repair/service bill! Good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for the responses. Yea, I did some research and I am a tax afraid for the cost at the end of it all. It's a beautiful watch though and needs to be on a wrist!

I'll let you know what ever comes of it when I get a chance to swing by an AD.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
A little background...I received this watch as a gift from my grandfather probably 4-5 years back. It is a sis/gold RO with day and date functions. The exact year of production, I am not 100% sure. When it was gifted to me, it was serviced by a local jeweler in Baltimore MD. They were a very reputable jeweler who my family had used for years. This said, I don't think it was ever sent to AP.

A couple years went by and I wore it only a handful of times. Recently I took it out to wear on a special occasion and all seemed to be functioning properly a few hours later I looked down and it was slow about 5 mins. I figured maybe it wasn't wound and so reset it and continued wearing for the next day. It looked alright until randomly again at sometime the next day, 5 minutes was lost. The time was not gradually lost, but was instead rather sudden.

I reached out to AP but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone have any recommendations or maybe a recommended AD or service center near central NJ?
Four to five years back suggests it might be a 15202 or 15300. If it's the former, you could be in for a big bill (bigger than the typical ~$1500 for routine service) and long wait to have it fixed. You may also luck out and it's something minor like the watch's having become magnetized or the lube has just dried/clumped up and a simple servicing will fix the issue.

Either way, you need to take the watch either to a certified watchmaker or Audemar's boutique or authorized service center. The latter will be the most expensive way you can go, but if "the worst" is in play, it's also the only way you can go...A certified watchmaker can absolutely tell you what's wrong, but s/he'll have no access to the parts needed to fix it if "the worst" is the cause of the problem. If it's just a lubrication issue, a certified watchmaker can handle it; they'll have on hand the oil needed, and they'll be able to make minor corrections to restore the finish on the gears/ratchet wheels if that's all that's needed.

If you want to consult a certified watchmaker before hauling off to the AP boutique, use the "find a professional" search here -- https://members.awci.com/AWCIWEB/AWCISearch/MemberSearch.aspx -- and choose one having a CMW21 or CW21 certification. At the very least, calling one to describe what's happening will put you directly in contact with someone who can give you an informed perspective of what might be in play.

Sudden:
Not that I can tell you what the issue is, but I'm curious. By "sudden," do you mean that one minute the watch was on time and you know it was because you set it and then within an hour (or less) it was five minutes slow? Did the watch stay 5 minutes slow or did it get more and more "off" as the day progressed?

I'm not going to try to sugarcoat it, and clearly I can't diagnose the issue for you, but...."suddenly" being five minutes off does not sound like a minor problem. Were I you, I'd very tightly clench my sphincter and cross my fingers. Sorry to say that, but you gotta be prepared for the "the worst." At least if you see it said here, the surprise/shock won't be as great when you speak with the watchmaker/store.

Local Jeweler:
Hard to say what they did. If they're an Audemar's Piguet authorized dealer, odds are they did just send it to the closest AP service center. That said, four years or more ago, makers like AP weren't as "stingy" with making parts available to independent watchmakers, so it's also possible that they did the work themselves if they had a watchmaker on staff. Fancy watches like AP ROs and others, in spite of all their elaborate finishing and whatnot, aren't so different from inexpensive ones having a very basic and unadorned movement inside.

The driving factors for whether "any" watchmaker vs. a manufacturer's own team of watchmakers is better suited/able to handle movement maintenance is the nature and extent of the complications -- chronograph, perp cal, minute repeater, EoT, etc. -- in the watch, and/or whether the maker uses proprietary elements that require proprietary/special tools to disassemble and/or adjust.

All the best.

Reality was dawning on him and he hated reality. If you were him, so would you.
― Carla H. Krueger, The Social Worker

·
Registered
27,202 Posts
I thought magnetization only makes a watch gain time … ?
me too, something about the balance wheel not having full amplitude and the shorter rotation makes it tick faster (I know nothing about the insides of a watch so that may be way off)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bringing this one back to life after a few years... I am finally willing and able to send in my AP for service. I dropped it off a few weeks ago at the boutique in NYC and just received the estimate for service and repairs. The estimate is just over $2300 USD.

It is certainly steep but as the watch has sentimental value and I want to wear it, I think I'm going to have them move forward with the work.

Do you all have any recommendations? I am going to ask them not to polish or put service hands on it. Is there anything else I should request based on your experience with AP servicing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you do not mind me asking... what did they tell you they will do to it? (to justify the price... Presumably something more that "standard service").
Yes, there are a number of things listed on the estimate. They have the service listed at $930 and then a number of line items including numerous nuts and screws, a new main spring and sliding bridle, crown wheel, ratchet wheel, winding wheel, stop click, setting lever and jumper, oscillating weight, and reverser. All those items are totaled to $1392.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also, as there were original questions regarding model and movement, my watch is a 25572 with a calibre 2224/2810 pictured here

1 - 12 of 12 Posts