WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day folks! Earlier today I received a Seastar from the Bay...or should I say caught from the sea? :-s Anyhow, being the first post here I thought an introduction would be appropriate, rather than to do the 'ask and run', which would be disrespectful.

Like most people I've gone through a number of hobbies, photography now being the greatest one (when I actually get time off working as a veterinarian). However the fascination with watches is one of the oldest. When still fairly young I inherited a couple of my parents' old watches by digging through their drawer and begging them to give it to me.

My Dad's old JLC was subsequently destroyed by yours truly when I stupidly tried opening it at around the age of 10 in order to repair a stuck minute hand. My Mum's square hand-wind Tissot subsequently ceased to function even though I took all care in the world to preserve it, and the lucky survivor is a Rotary that's still on my shelf, running after 16 years in my hands.

So it's only with the advent of the necessary evil called 'work' that I had enough savings to start up this old hobby again but the collection is lean, and for better or worse I hope to keep it that way! :) Other than the three watches I routinely use (the beaters and the dress watch) there's two Rado watches, plus maybe a dozen more cheapies that were accumulated a number of years ago.

About a week ago I chanced upon this Tissot Seastar and it was priced so low I couldn't resist. The photos weren't particularly good and when it arrived I was somewhat dismayed to find it in good-used condition rather than 'near mint' as described in the listing. Worse is that even after sizing the bracelet down to the extreme, it still wouldn't fit my bony wrist. It's such an interesting piece however and I thought this would be the best place to seek more information about it:

This watch has an absolutely bizarre, almost bangle-like bracelet with very large links. The whole bracelet just screams 'solid'. It has the 'T' emblem on the clasp, and on another portion of the bracelet it is signed 'Tissot 2043-44670 Stainless Steel'. It looks like the dial has aged gracefully and it sparkles in the light as if it were made of semi-precious stone.

The caseback is plain with no inscriptions and while there's marks on it, it doesn't appear to have been opened in the past. I have not ventured into opening it myself because I don't have the tools and worry about breaking it like I did to my Dad's watch many years ago. :oops: Hope to hear any info on this model, the year in which it was made, the movement it's likely to have, real, fake, monster...whichever term is appropriate.

Thanks for your time.

·
5,156 Posts
I can't give a positive identification, but judging from the styling I'd say it is from the early 1970's.

Is it running and keeping good time?

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
I can't give you any useful information regarding this watch other than I LIKE IT!

Congratulations on a great pick-up. Good luck with finding the answers you're looking for, and I hope you enjoy the watch!

Best,
Wallace

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I also think it's from the 70's as Lee pointed out, and I also think that reason it's too small for you is because it might be a women's watch. In the 70's, unlike the 40's 50's or 60's even the ladies models were bigger and that one looks like something like that. The dial however looks OK to me, I wouldn't say it is aged, in that case the words would've been messed up too, but those and even the Tissot logo looks untouched.

As you might know, without seeing the movement there's really nothing more we can say about the watch. You should take t tot a pro and have him open the case back, then note down or take a pic of both the case back and the movement and post the up here...

Hope I could help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone! Good to receive such a response to a relatively obscure watch. I didn't check properly this morning but thus far it's running well and keeping time. The day/ date changes very close to 12am. The dial is most interesting with its sparkles.

Actually the watch bracelet is way too big (not small) for my wrist even after adjustment. The case measures some 37mm across without crown. With the crown it's close to 40mm.

If it's necessary to get the case back off then I'll try to get that done. Only pain is that the local watch repair guy charges something like $20 just for me to have a look.

Another thing I noticed last night: this watch still has decent lume after all these years and I was rather surprised. Not bright, but adequate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it because I was looking into some info on this very style of Tissot watch. It has been one of my favorites since I became interested in automatic watches a couple years ago, and I have found that Tissot manufactured the Seastar with this style bracelet from about 1972 to 1975. You do have to see the serial number inside to track down the exact year though, I believe. I have an old Baylor TV dial automatic with a large section Rado band at this point, but these old Tissots are still some of the most interesting I have ever seen from this period. The dial, the wide steel band with large links, and the robust, old automatic movements they house create the perfect retro blend of looks and mechanical movement. I've seen several on Ebay but they were either without the iconic "cuff-style" band or else they are so far overseas that I worry about getting them shipped all the way to the U.S.

By the way, I believe a jeweler could carefully remove one or more of the links from the bracelet without damaging the parts in case they ever need to be reattached. I almost had to do that with my old Rado band, but my 6.5 wrist was right on the small end of adjusting it with the clasp pins.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts