WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Chance to post some pics here!(or, just tell us) I thought maybe some of you would like to share some of your older watches/movents here, and maybe see who has the oldest. Also... maybe it would prove to some of the "doubters" out there that China does produce some good stuff.

I can't enter myself because well,... mine aren't that old, but I'd like to see some of yours, and maybe you guys would like to share :) .

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Hello,
Chance to post some pics here!(or, just tell us) I thought maybe some of you would like to share some of your older watches/movents here, and maybe see who has the oldest. Also... maybe it would prove to some of the "doubters" out there that China does produce some good stuff.

I can't enter myself because well,... mine aren't that old, but I'd like to see some of yours, and maybe you guys would like to share :) .
There is nothing prior to 1955 that is genuinely Chinese; in spite of the ePrey sellers hawking 80s goods as produced in 1935 :-(

My oldest Chinese goes back to around 1977.

·
Registered
124 Posts
There is nothing prior to 1955 that is genuinely Chinese; in spite of the ePrey sellers hawking 80s goods as produced in 1935 :-(

My oldest Chinese goes back to around 1977.
This is slightly offtopic but at the same time in the same area... how old are Alpha watches? I mean, I've seen sellers on Evilbay touting an Alpha watch as vintage 1950's.:-s

Was there another older watch company called Aplha or is this the same Aplha watch company that's making watches at the moment.....

OR is the seller just "pushing the truth". <|

·
Registered
124 Posts
Btw, I am not really that down on Ebay...I've sold and bought on there myself for over 11 years and it just comes down to doing your homework BEFORE you commit to a purchase, remembering that if a deal seems to good to be true, it usually IS... and remembering Buyer Beware.

Sorry this post is :rodekaart

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
This is slightly offtopic but at the same time in the same area... how old are Alpha watches? I mean, I've seen sellers on Evilbay touting an Alpha watch as vintage 1950's.:-s

Was there another older watch company called Aplha or is this the same Aplha watch company that's making watches at the moment.....

OR is the seller just "pushing the truth". <|
Yes, there was an older and original Swiss manufacturer that owned the Alpha name.

It has nothing to do with the current Alpha company or it's offerings.
From what I can tell, the original Alpha watches were entry level Swiss watches at best and probably not anywhere as well made as the ones sold by Alpha today.
I guess, the biggest difference would be in QC; the old Alpha probably hand made each watch and made sure each and every one was as clean and correct as humanly possible.

The current Alpha company simply puts out a tender for X number of watches and the lowest bidder gets the deal...or something along those lines. QC is simply not factored into the equation since it costs money.
Still, your chances of getting a dud Alpha today are fairly slim.

·
Registered
124 Posts
1993. Says so right on the dial.
Thankyou for that. LOL :-d

I had noticed that as well but just thought I'd ask the question to clarify it a bit. ;-)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Does any one have an original chinese Duplex pocket watch?
There doesn't seem to be much info about them on the net. The one I've seen was made around 1870

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
Hello,

Great idea! I'm sure it would take a few of the members a few months to take pictures of all of their vintage models. :-d I don't have that many but will try to post some pics this weekend.

Cheers,
gigfy

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,177 Posts
Here's a poor photo of the back of my Tianjin ST2A WuYi from the early 1960s

I plan to get some better photos after I've got it serviced (some time between now and May Day ;-))

Otherwise I've got nothing earlier than the late 1970s.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Hello,

Hi,

I posted quite a few earlier movement images at the articles section. Perhaps these are not clear enough? I can post some more if needed.:)

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Here's a poor photo of the back of my Tianjin ST2A WuYi from the early 1960s

I plan to get some better photos after I've got it serviced (some time between now and May Day ;-))

Otherwise I've got nothing earlier than the late 1970s.
This is a 1st version WUYI. :-! congratulations!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

I posted quite a few earlier movement images at the articles section. Perhaps these are not clear enough? I can post some more if needed.:)
Oh, your pictures are quite ok, I just thought it would be fun for other members to share some of their antiques ;-) .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts