WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello you all, last week I was at a retired jeweller store, and I had a wonderfull change of buying some old stock and collectables from the owner himself, luckely, I was the first one there, so I had the first chance to come across the beauties :) The man was a collector too, but wanted to sell most of his collection after all those years. I was able to buy a few watches (Bucherer, Longines, Hamilton, Aquastar, ..) all good vintage watches at a very good price, but what i found in a draw was something totaly different. The man had an entire map of 1960's Omega catalogues, brochures, invitations to Omega watchsalons, pictures, articles,..,so bought these too, and I could 've never guessed what i found than stuffed in a box in the back of a closet all wrapped in paper; I found 14 Omega stamps from the 1950's-1960's. These stamps were used by some juwellers in the 50's-60's to print commercials in papers and magazines. These are all in great condition and I think I got the entire Omega gamma :). They are very heavy and seem to be very good quality stamps. I also have 1 special Omega stamp made for the olympic games in Mexico in 68. Does anyone have seen these before? Because I can not find a single thing about them. Any help is most appreciated, I will share some of the pictures with you guys :)
greetings, Matthias.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Wow what a great find. Congratulations

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very cool find.

I believe what you have is both printing and foil stamping blocks that were either used in newspapers or for promotional materials for Omega. From the looks of the beveled edges it Looks like the blocks were all acid etched using copper, zinc and even magnesium. The Mexico block especially looks like it may have been used for hot foil stamping for book covers where the block is heated in a press then pressed into the gold/ silver foil and ultimately on to the book cover.

Either way you have some cool items from a gone era.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts