WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I took a road trip to a small town about 3 hours from where we live to check out an arts and crafts show on the square. They also have a few antique shops nearby that we walked through. Before we left town to head back home, we stumbled on a couple more shops, and figured, "Why not? We're here, so we might as well look." Now all I can say is, "Merry early Christmas to me!" And yes, I really found this watch hung on a Christmas tree! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355630442.167703.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355630462.331553.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355630476.712297.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355630494.309288.jpg
Can anyone give me a clue as to the model? The dedication on the caseback reads, "Erna/To my love/6-26-67/Max", so at least I have a really good idea of when the watch was new. And by the way, I paid a whopping $10 for the watch, and it's running and appears to be keeping decent time. Funny thing is, there was an old Timex on the same tree for the same price, so I guess all vintage watches are worth $10, at least according to this particular seller! Lol!!

Sent from my iPhone to the interwebs and straight to your brain using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,919 Posts
get it serviced through al archer or nesbit and enjoy it

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Agree - get it serviced, it's worth it! And get your repairman to tell you the watch's movement calibre/caliber, as well as the serial number. Knowing both will allow you to precisely date the watch, as well as look up relevant models on Omega's superb - free - online database.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Congratulations - an early Christmas present for yourself.:-!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just love the milanese mesh bracelet on your Omega! Delightfully retro.

Congrats on a great find, and wear it in good health.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like the bracelet, as well. It has a Bulova logo on the clasp, but I'm ok with that. As far as the shop being everything for $10, they had glass perfume bottles that were $25 and up, and they weren't even Swiss made like the Omega!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Excellent...The best ten bucks you've spent in awhile I bet. Good looking watch. Thanks for posting a find that will keep us all looking for that next stealin-deal. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
734 Posts
A great find! Did you examine the pocket watch about 1 foot to the right on the tree?

John

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did. They were asking $30 for it, the face was unmarked, and I didn't have anything to open the caseback and examine the movement with. Good eye, by the way.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Can't tell if it is a mens or ladies watch from the picture, but at that price, who cares? Also, there is a hallmark on the back of the case near the lugs. Could it be 14K white gold? Many of these diamond dial watches from the 1960's had solid gold cases.

Excellent pickup!
gatorcpa

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gator, I was thinking it might be white gold, as well. It is stamped "14kt" between the top lugs on the case back. The case measures 30 mm, so I'm thinking it is a men's watch. They were a lot smaller in that era, and most of the ladies watches of the day were tiny by comparison. But I'm with you. Who cares at that price? I'm still gonna wear it!

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, Gator. That link is interesting, as well. For about $80, the Omega is currently in for a service and having a new crystal installed, as the one it had when I bought it was scratched up pretty badly, and wasn't original anyway. I'll have movement and serial # data forthcoming later in the week after I pick the watch up from my watch guy. He told me he'd price the watch at around $350 in his shop, as is, and that's before he even cracked it open to see what movement it has. I can't wait to start wearing it.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Hi there,

don't want to disturb the common excitement, but without a look at the movement, I would not bet that it is an Omega.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the watch did have an Omega movement, but at some point in its lifetime it was fully invaded by water, on top of missing some parts. This would have necessitated a full rebuild, so I opted instead to sell it to my watch guy as a parts watch. Not exactly how I had hoped things would work out, but, having only paid $10 for it, I still came out ahead. It's too bad my first Omega was only mine for a week, though!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts