WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all of these Debbie downer style posts popping up as of late I wanted to just put up a post in support of Omega, their product, and what they have done for the industry.

Personally I am glad there is a company (even if it is simply a division of a conglomerate) that is still trying to be cutting edge yet classic and take on the “machine” with a product that is high quality, conservative, and expensive but still a bargain when compared to others.

I’ve had mine going on two years now along with a few pieces from another brand and honestly the Omega is one of my favorites, finish is way better than the other brand I have owned, performance is very good, and the looks are great.

Further I am glad Omega is trying to tighten down distribution and get a handle on prices, while I loved the discounts of old I do realize what it did to hurt the brand on the whole especially when compared to their competition, and since the name of the game is status they have to do whatever they can to protect and improve their image.

For everyone complaining about failures, as a comparative I just bought a rather expensive lighter, Dunhill Rollagas, a model that has been made for over half a centaury, and right out of the box it didn’t work forcing me to send it back so even the best of them can have quality control issues.

Well I am off the soap box now, just wanted to be a ray of sunlight in an otherwise cloudy patch as it seems there is far too much negativity here on the WUS Omega forum.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
You think this place is negative you should try the iPhone forum!!

As for Omega I love both of mine and appreciate the fact I have had no problems.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I appreciate Omega..... especially the Speedies. I like that you can modify them to your tastes. :-! Thank you Omega!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with you that Omega is an underestimated asset to the industry. I think the co-ax movement was one of the boldest developments of modern times. The fact that Omega also sustains a huge product range yet has so many iconic designs is also remarkable. The PO, the Bond, the 2254.50, the AT are all modern yet have recognition equal to almost any watch on the market.

My only personal experience is an SMP and it has the feel of a watch that comes from a company with history. The watch feels like it went through the hoops in the development stage, not just conjured up on a computer screen.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love Omega! They are by far my favorite watches!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Nice idea for a thread, Mathew. Nice AT too. Hope to see some nice photos in this thread. :) |>

I've been wearing Omegas for about eleven years now. I've been an admirer of Omega since I was a little kid, as both my father and grandfather were watch guys and wore Omegas, along with a few other brands. (BTW, my grandfather was, and my father is, also a fan of Rolex. I grew up thinking that Omega and Rolex complemented each other well, and that it was unnecessary to rate one above the other. They were simply thought of, by my family, as being two unique and interesting watch making companies. In fact, I had never heard anyone disparage one to support the other until I became a member here/joined a watch forum.)

Anyway, I've never had a single mechanical problem with any of the five Omegas I've owned so far. They've all been rock solid for me. I admire the subtle elegance of Omega's designs as much as I appreciate that they're designed to be tools first and foremost. I like that outside of collectors and WIS (and their families ;-)), not too many "ordinary" people have a strong opinion of Omega.

I believe the Seamaster and Speedmaster brands to be among the most iconic in the watch world. The creation of these emotive names were acts of pure genius... Even the font they use is evocative and conveys, perfectly, the meaning of these legendary names.

I hope to wear my beloved Omegas for many years to come. I also hope to one day pass along the love for our favorite brand.... :-!

My first Omega. A gift from my dad:

My Seamaster Planet Ocean:

My Seamaster Aqua Terra (gone, but definitely not forgotten):

My second Seamaster Professional 300M, "Bond":

My Speedmaster Professional, "Moon Watch":

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Got my first Omega in 1998. I have never had an issue, cosmetic or mechanical, with an Omega apart from regulation (service is another matter).
My SMP goes with me everywhere. Just recently it has gone from the summit of Ben Nevis to the waters of the Indian Ocean in the space of two weeks, accumulating happy associated memories as it went.
I don't like everything Omega does and there are other brands that I have massive respect for (Seiko, JLC...) but I am, and suspect that I always will be, an Omega Man. Not even Jeremy Clarkson can take that way from me!

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You think this place is negative you should try the iPhone forum!!

As for Omega I love both of mine and appreciate the fact I have had no problems.
LOL, there is a product I won't own and arguably the behavior one would expect to exhiibit from a truly "flawed" design.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I've only owned two Omega watches, but they are the only ones that I've never even thought of selling. And they are dead-on accurate. And quite handsome...

·
Registered
531 Posts
hi dixan, your pic is the best photo ive seen of a blue bond on mesh.

magnifique!

great idea for a thread too btw matj!:)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Dixan, I've always admired the AT in your avatar but after seeing that picture, it is an absolutly stunning watch, very balenced looking with just enough pop from the blue. Can these still be had in good condition, and more importantly
will there be a 2500 version? Also, any idea if a dial swap w/ an 850" at would be possible?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I agree with Dixan; this is a nice change from some of the other threads. I only currently have one Omega, but have never had an issue.

Working in retail I see all sorts of products and issues. QC issues happen from all manufacturers. More people buy Omega than they do smaller brands so you are more likely to hear about those issues because there are more people having them. If I sell 10,000 Omega watches and 100 are defective is that mean they have more problems than if I sell 1,000 X brand watches and 10 are defective? Which is more? They both have the same percent of defective watches by ratio, but there are more Omega watches sold. I think it is the same thing, just more people will say something about the bigger company because for some reason people expect more, when IMO, it should be the opposite.

Anyways, here is a pic...

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
And I appreciate all the Omega eye-candy in this thread. |> Great pics, people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts