WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My first post ever and please accept my apologies if this topic has been done to death.
I am starting to build up a little collection of Omega's. Currently I own a Constellation hidden crown 565 model from 1966 an Omega Great White and would like to add to the collection. As you can see it is all over the place but perhaps that is a bit like me!

I am thinking of adding an Aqua Terra as a go anywhere watch. The main question I have, is it worth spending more on an 8500 and possibly buying it new grey market or nearly new, or just getting the best condition 2500 I can find. I do really like the flatter faced 2500's particularly in blue or black so part of me is saying get the 2500.

Is there any major issue in terms of reliability?
Do I need to worry about the differences between 2500a, 2500b and 2500c?
Is there any issues in terms of legibility of dial between the two
Do you think anyone model would fall away faster in value? I am not looking to flip but may sell in future to fund a Chronograph purchase.
As you may guess I am thinking of buying second hand

Best regards
Mark

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
Hi and welcome. You should also post this in the Omega sub-forum. Also do a search here as this is fairly often discussed (though usually with regard to PO).

Many prefer the lower profile case with the 2500, and many prefer the silicon hairspring of the 8500, though if you get one of the early 8500 AT's it won't have the silicon hairspring. I don't think you'll notice any difference in performance between the two movements. It may become more a question of whether you prefer the teak or flat dial.

Are you sure your Connie is a 565? That was used in Seamasters. I'd think you'd have a caliber 564 certified chronometer. The GW is one of their best divers. You'll need to post pictures in the Omega forum.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
IMHO the first generation Aqua Terra is a modern classic with some really nice dials on offer. Also the Railmaster is pretty cool.
The teak dial does zero for me. I would like to see some new dial options without the teak.
One looks like old money while the other looks like new money.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The 2500's imo are some of the best looking watches ever made. I truly wonder what Omega was thinking going to the 8500, I couldn't imagine owning one as I"d never stop feeling like a I bought the lesser watch.

That said, I'd ask around about the movements. I've read some iffy stuff with some of the early movements but don't know enough to comment (also why I'd be scared to buy used).

That said if you like teaks and are ok with a thicker watch the 8500 is a better movement by most accounts.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Having owned both, I'll chime in with a dissenting opinion from the previous ones - the 8500 is far and away a better watch. The details are better, the movement is fantastic, and it toes the line between sporty and dressy better than the 2500 AT (which is a touch bland to pull double duty IMO).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts