WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have never posted in the general forum before now and was advised by an other member to share here on the general forum. Below is a compilation of thoughts and photos of my new AT 8500. For the most part, it’s a simple cut and paste of the thread I started over in the omega forum.

First off I would like to Thank our FAD for the great service he provides. Initially, I had no plans to buy another watch let alone an Omega. When I heard that he was getting cut off by Omega I thought:

a) What a shame – he’s a great guy and understands what good customer service is
b) I should get to an AD and make sure there is nothing I’ll kick myself for not buying while I could

I went to that AD and the Aqua Terra jumped out and smacked me in the face (hey, some people enjoy that)

I’m having a hard time trying to articulate the classic beauty that it is.. I’m still in an overwhelming state of WOW.

The Teak-opaline silver Dial changes colour depending on how cool or warm the light temp it’s under. The chunky indices are beautifully sculpted. They seem reflect light from interesting and unusual angles.

The bracelet surprised me in a couple of ways. I didn’t realize how much thinner and lighter it is than both my Speedmaster and Plannet Ocean. Edges are sharper but I haven’t had any hair pulls to speak of (yet). The Clasp looks amazing and wont be a scratch magnet like the others. The only problem I’m having is that it needs to be pushed a certain way to “lock”. This may need to be adjusted some how or perhaps I’m doing something wrong.

My AT fills a gap I felt was missing from my watches. As you can see, all my other watches are less dressy and have dark faces. I still feel like I can wear it with Jeans but for more formal settings this will be my go to option.

The New 8500 movement seems to be doing it’s job well so far. I’m really happy that my AT has a display back because it’s beautifully intricate. I haven’t had the chance to take apart the bracelet yet so pardon my lazy case back shots.. I’ll update these as soon as I have a chance.

I asked the FAD to somehow cherry pick my AT. Since I ordered it on a Friday afternoon, he put it on the winder over the weekend and reported the exact same time. Great I though! When I received shipment, I reset the time. 5 days later…

Its Dead on.. I know this is an automatic and I really shouldn’t expect crazy accuracy but YEAA! So far this is keeping better time then My +1 sec/ day PO and one of my Casio G shocks..

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had the time and pleasure of taking more photos the other day. It was a lot of fun and I even noticed a couple of new details. This pictorial installment is dial heavy because that's where my focus naturally gravitates. It’s easily the most interesting dial in my collection

It was nice getting up close and personal with the dial

If you look closely around the minute markers it's got it's own ribbed / textured surface.

Dial overload..

The date has a great font, different from my PO

The crown is surprisingly finished in matte! Beautiful crown!! :-!

Now some quick comparisons in thickness.

Planet Ocean

Speedmaster Pro

Lume

So far it's an amazing piece. The accuracy continues to impressing me. It's been running 5 days and is 1 second fast. This seems almost common ground with the new 8500 movement.

The AT has become my go to dress watch.

Certainly nothing to bak at :-d

As soon as I get some straps / deployant in, I plan on doing some more photos. Especially of the movement.

Thanks for looking!

Chibatastic

·
Registered
767 Posts
Beautiful pics! I love the detail on the dial - very sharp! Posts like this are what make this site so dangerous and expensive for WUS members!

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Hi Chiba. Good to see somebody from the Omega forum ventured out to the other areas of WUS. Great pics of a very nice watch. :-!

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
simply beautiful dial; it should be accorded the same status as a complication (e.g., chrono/gmt) :-!.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
very nice watch! The dial certainly rewards macro photography!

"In the category of Best Use of a Rubber Chicken in a Watch Pictorial, the winner is....."

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
It's a true classic. Hard to choose between the white and gray face I think!

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful pics! I love the detail on the dial - very sharp! Posts like this are what make this site so dangerous and expensive for WUS members!
Thanks Hall,

Secretly I enjoy influencing others to spend money ☺ hehe

Hi Chiba. Good to see somebody from the Omega forum ventured out to the other areas of WUS. Great pics of a very nice watch. :-!
Thanks ulackfocus,
I have never checked out this forum before member “acdelco” mentioned that I should post here. Since then I have read up on some interesting topics.

A bit OT but I want to learn more about horology so I can fully appreciate all the work that goes into these watches. Any other resource recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
P.S. I look forward to seeing pictures of your Brequet when you pick it up.
simply beautiful dial; it should be accorded the same status as a complication (e.g., chrono/gmt) :-!.
It’s certainly complicated enough to mention!

very nice watch! The dial certainly rewards macro photography!

"In the category of Best Use of a Rubber Chicken in a Watch Pictorial, the winner is....."
Thanks LouS,

My random sense of humor made me put that in. That chicken was my favorite thing in Walmart and needed to be incorporated somehow..
I would also like to thank the academy!

Chibatastic

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
AWESOME PICTURES!! Beautiful watch brought to life by your great pictures!!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Great pics, Chiba! I did see your post on the Omega sub-forum, and am glad to see another member get the AT8500. I've had my AT (Opaline silver teck dial like yours, but the 38.5mm version) for about two months now, and I agree with you about the detailing on the dial, hands and indices. Mine has been very accurate as well (-0.5 to -0.75s/day), and I'm very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
AWESOME PICTURES!! Beautiful watch brought to life by your great pictures!!
:) Thanks

Great pics, Chiba! I did see your post on the Omega sub-forum, and am glad to see another member get the AT8500. I've had my AT (Opaline silver teck dial like yours, but the 38.5mm version) for about two months now, and I agree with you about the detailing on the dial, hands and indices. Mine has been very accurate as well (-0.5 to -0.75s/day), and I'm very happy with it.
Thanks Mr v76,

Two months ago I didn’t even know that it existed :-s You should have told me!!

Have you tried resting it in different positions to see if you can gain time? Mine seems to eventually slow down a second if I leave it face up and not wear it. If I leave it face down over night it gains the second back.

Chiba

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Well, mine's pre-owned ... it was a little under a year old when I got it - the original owner had purchased it in Jan. 2010, so that might make a difference w.r.t. it losing slightly. Of course, I'd rather have it slightly fast than slightly slow, but the drift is so small that it doesn't bother me. I'll get it adjusted when the time comes for a full service, haven't yet checked out the positional variation yet ... might do that.

You seem to have inspired a few on the Omega sub-forum to get the 8500 :)

Thanks Mr v76,

Two months ago I didn’t even know that it existed :-s You should have told me!!

Have you tried resting it in different positions to see if you can gain time? Mine seems to eventually slow down a second if I leave it face up and not wear it. If I leave it face down over night it gains the second back.

Chiba

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Great job with the photos and what an amazing watch you have there!

I would really love to own such a piece somewhere in the near future, hopefully this year

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
hey i'm here all the time...i read all those x vs. y questions all the time...:-d
Maybe I worded the original post wrong - there are some Omega Forum members that never get out into the other forums. I know you and several others do post here, I was talking about other members (Kat, AM, etc). Even Desmond only does Omega & Vintage. It would be great to have more of them post here. Instant boost of experience & WISdom in the Public Forum, you know?

I'm certainly glad Chiba brought his whimsical picture posting.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts