WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want one watch to rule them all. And, I quite fancy the Aqua Terra. However, I can't seem to find it's competition to compare and contrast. Here's my criteria:

>40mm (mandatory)
150m+ WR (suitable for regular swimming)
Dressy - I need to wear it with a suit everyday.
Swiss or German

Watches I have eliminated:
Rolex Explorer I
All Sinns (I don't like the "pilot's" hands)
All watches more expensive than the AT
All Quartz watches

Thank you for any suggestions and please include photos when possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would just buy the AT and be done with it. I don't think the Explorer does anything for me. I live on the ocean, have a boat, and dive so I am into the divers. But if I were to get another watch it would be the AT.

·
Registered
514 Posts
how about a VC overseas. An explorer II would be ok..prob the only rolex i'd ever consider buying

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the Aqua Terra is your grail watch and you can afford it, then go for it rather than mucking around with cheapies that you may regret purchasing.

If you're curious about alternatives, check out the Hamilton Jazzmaster range.

JazzMaster, American Classic, Gents Collection, Hamilton Watch
It's not an issue of finding a "cheapie" or some such alternative. Prior to purchasing the AT, I want to make sure I haven't missed anything else. For example, I hadn't even thought of looking at Ball Watches, because I don't care for the "tubes." However, I very much like the Red Label listed above and will investigate.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
The AT8500 is a really nice watch, and as you say can be dressed up or dressed down without a hitch ... the generous WR is a huge plus as well. For me, what tipped the scales was that superb movement ...

Give the movement family a few more years to see whether it has remnants of the gremlins that plagued the 2500 series, but news thus far remains positive! I'm pretty certain that it is going to be a reliable "tractor" (along with the cal. 9300) for more complicated Omega movements for a few more years to come ... Mayhaps, a harbinger for Omega's ascent back to its wonted fold (the rarefied atmosphere they occupied in the '50s and '60s).

The accuracy is quite astonishing for a mechanical watch, and Omega claims a maximum of 4s/day deviation between any two positions which is exemplary (COSC requires 10s/day).

Reactions: Radharc

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
For example, I hadn't even thought of looking at Ball Watches, because I don't care for the "tubes."
Yes what they've done with a few of the 2011 models is to put the tubes in/on applied dial markers which conceals them while still giving you the full benefit of tritium lume. I think it will draw many people to the brand who previously didn't like the "tube look" of their dials.

And FWIW I have several Ball and Omega watches and can safely say the build quality and finish of the two are comparable. Of course with Ball you give up some brand recognition and the in-house 8500 movement but you get paid handsomely in savings for that tradeoff as well. You also gain the tritium capability which to me is one of the most functional features you can add to a watch that will be worn at night.

That said, I'd still love to have an 8500 AT. Just look at that gorgeous movement :)

·
Registered
20,576 Posts
Rolex Explorer I

Because you can afford a Rolex, let's buy the Sub. It exceeds all your criterias.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
No bueno....150m+ WR (suitable for regular swimming).
Though I'm not sure why 150m is required for swimming, even 50m would do ... :think:

Diving is a different matter, though.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
yeah probably. but i see it aint mandatory for OP, so no harm for another suggestion :)
Check out Grand Seiko. The 8500 is very nice, but GS is more exclusive and overall quality compares favourably.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Narwhal,

You did not provide a budget in your criteria, so excuse me if what I suggest is out of reach. I recently went though a similar seach and I chose a Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim Grande Date (Ref. 2850b-1130a-71). Since you speak of swimming, I assume the AT 8500 you are considering has a bracelet. What I can tell you is after handling both the BP and the Omega, the level of finish on the BP is much finer. Of course there is no such thing as a free lunch. The BP is also twice the price of the AT.

40 mm
100 m WR (suitable for swimming)
Sporty, yet dressy
Swiss

I would also add that I think the AT 8500 is a fine watch. It is however, quite popular and as a result there are many out there. This may be of little consequence to you.

Good Luck,

Bob

Here are some photos:

I posted this on the Public Forum to reach a wider audience. But, I would also like an Omega slanted answer too. AND, to be clear, I am not seeking an AT alternative, I just want to know the competition better, to make sure i haven't missed anything prior to buying the AT. So:

I want one watch to rule them all. And, I quite fancy the Aqua Terra. However, I can't seem to find it's competition to compare and contrast. Here's my criteria:

>40mm (mandatory)
150m+ WR (suitable for regular swimming)
Dressy - I need to wear it with a suit everyday.
Swiss or German

Rolex Explorer I
All Sinns (I don't like the "pilot's" hands)
All watches more expensive than the AT
All Quartz watches

Thank you for any suggestions and please include photos when possible.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Narwhal, You did not provide a budget in your criteria,
The BP is a beauty, but the OP did eliminate anything more expensive than the AT.
For me it would be the AT everytime, over most anything else in the price range. Not so much because I think the AT is inherently 'better', but because of the case design and those distinctive inwardly shaped lugs. It's unmistakeably Omega, and looks different to anything else on the wrist. And obviously I happen to like the look.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I did read that, but I also read that they had considered a Rolex Explorer which is more expensive than an Omega AT 8500. So given the mixed signals and the OP's desires, I threw the option in the ring. One other to consider is a Grand Seiko SBGH001 or SBGH005. Again, they lists for a bit more than an AT 8500 (less than the BP) but it is worth considering in the OP's category. I suspect with Omega;s new pricing policy the watches are quite similar in street price.

:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts