WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post and I could use some advice. I'm looking to buy my first nice watch which will, according to the wife, be my only nice watch until our kids can afford to buy me one... and we don't have any kids yet. So I'd better make it count.

I am leaning towards the 39.5mm aqua terra with teak-opaline dial and steel bracelet (see below).

I think it will be versatile enough to wear with jeans or a suit (perhaps with a leather strap) and it's classy enough to last a lifetime (just in case we end up with artsy kids who make no money). It's not too big or edgy which will hopefully prevent it from looking ridiculous on me when an old man 50 years from now. In that regard I've also thought about the going with the simpler plain black dial that has been discontinued but is still findable.

Any opinions on these watches (I've read quite a few reviews so don't just link please)? Votes for new white dial vs old black dial? suggestions for other watches you think would ring the same kind of versatile yet classy bells? Is it crazy to expect to be satisfied with one watch the rest of my life?

Now for the main question: The ad's in my area (Cincinnat) are basically unwilling to offer discounts. I've read on some of these forums that there are ad's (especially the "forum favorite") who will come close to the grey market prices of sites like 231.10.39.21.02.001 Omega Aqua Terra Silver Dial Automatic Watch

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would rather buy it from an AD than grey market, even if it is a fairly well known one as i'd like to just walk into a store and say "fix it" if something is wrong within the warranty period as opposed to dealing with shipping back and fourth with a 3rd party.

Thanks for the help!

white aqua terra.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
You sound a lot like me.

I graduated b-school in 2007, and I informed the wife that I required a fine watch for graduation. We shopped around, and she bought me this:

BUT- she hated the price and made me swear off buying watches for 10 years.

That AT is damn near the best of all worlds. 150m water resist with a screw down crown and caseback, looks that can span suits to swim trunks (and it's been the only thing on me at times...) She looks great on her metal band, but I've put her on alligator (brown), carbon (black), rubber, and less successfully, nylon (zulu/nato). A date is tastefully worked into the watch (sometimes the date function can ruin the aesthetics of the timepiece).

I've worn her on 3 continents and a bunch of different nations. She's been in the water (ocean, pool, creek, river), plus in the city (NY, HK, more) and in the desert... and in the jungle.

That said, I do sometimes wonder if I should have started with a diver, as I am a sporty guy and I use the bezel function often when I wear a diver (I do not dive, though). And- I wonder if I should have gone with a Rollie. Just a few thoughts... but no regrets!

Finally... I did promise the wife no watches for 10 years... but... my collection currently includes:
Speedy Pro
vintage Seamaster (dress)
MKII Blackwater (an awesome beater- just needs better lume)
Seiko Sumo
and maybe 5 other mechanical watches

Plus, I am hunting a Sub or Sea Dweller (NOT DSSD!)

Oh well. I tell her it could be worse- it could be cars or women!

Cheers- and you can PM me if you want some more insight.

Also, my watch blog is Watching Watches

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
To the OP:

I sent a PM re: forum's favorite dealer. As to your questions about the AT pictured, I have the identical one in the quartz version. I originally had in mind using it as a trial, to see if the size and aesthetics would work for me, since, ultimately I'd like to get the co-axial version. As a female, my tastes are more like you guys, than the average girl, so most of my collection is mechanical. The question about one watch lasting 10 years, depends on whether you suffer from the watch virus. Ifyou do, not a chance, more like 10 watches every 2 years, however you want to space them out. Back to the teak dial 38.5 silver opaline color AT: It is, quite simply, stunning. The detail is unsurpassed. The indices give off a 3d effect, and the teak texture of the dial has just the right depth and spacing to perfectly enhance the dial, without having it look like some sriped monstrosity. It is pure perfection. The legibility is striking. Having owned the older model (it lives in Minnesota now), I can tell you that both styles are beautifu,l for different reasons. The sunburst dial on the older model is gorgeous, and attracts the light. Because of that effect, though, it is not as legible as the new teak dial. The date on the newer version stands out much more. I noticed the script is bolder within the window. You may, or may not like this. If you don't care about the date function, consider a Railmaster, which is a work of art, with its simple retro classic design. I do miss my older version AT, and may try to source a 36mm blue dial one, since I have the silver teak dial, and also own a Railmaster. As far as the size, I'm sure you've heard that the AT wears larger than its actual measurements, and that's very true, though not as noticable with the teak dial, ostensibly do to the textured dial, and the added numerals around the chapter ring. Since I got the deal of the century, on my "As new" teak dial quartz AT, I think I'll keep it, as a stunt double, and I eventually hope to pick up an 8500 in grey. One more thing. The teak dial grows on you. I notice that I like it more each day. Weird, huh? Well, Good luck, whatever you decide.

KAT

·
Registered
627 Posts
Between the new white opaline teak AT and the old black dial AT, I much prefer the old black version. That's not to say the new one is not a nice watch, I just feel it looks a tad overworked/fussy. Between the striped dial, numbered track and curved date window it feels like too much is going on compared to the slicker dial on the previous version.

Size-wise, I much prefer the 36mm versions over the 39mm on my 7inch wrist. The Aqua Terra is a dress watch afterall, albeit a sporty one!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
You can't go wrong with the AT, ddv!
Keep us informed about what you choose!

cheers.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I am leaning towards the 39.5mm aqua terra with teak-opaline dial and steel bracelet (see below).
. . . .
Any opinions on these watches (I've read quite a few reviews so don't just link please)? Votes for new white dial vs old black dial?
My personal bias is the grey dial at 41.5mm. (I find the 38.5's dial to be too cramped, though others have the opposite opinion. Here is a great side-by-side picture.) However, confining myself to your stated parameters, I would choose the new white dial over the old black dial for the simple fact that I would want the Caliber 8500. Popular opinion on the aesthetics of the two generations seems pretty evenly split, but if you don't have a strong preference between the two -- and it doesn't sound like you do -- I would choose based on the movement. Also, if you are going to limit yourself to one watch for a while, seems that it would make sense for that watch to have as special a movement as possible -- and the 8500 is a gem.

Is it crazy to expect to be satisfied with one watch the rest of my life?
Only you can answer that. ;-) Many folks here are definitely chronic flippers, but others seem to be able to settle on a core group. One is a very low number, but with careful buying and planning having one watch for an extended period should be possible. As far as "one watches" go, though, you'd be hard put to best the AT (either generation). You might have already seen the thread, but this "dress vs. sport" thread is a great summary of why the AT is so versatile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts