WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Have you tried this tool on a PO or SMP??? If so, where can I get one, and what is the name of it?? I'm about to buy an orange bezel for my black/orange PO and need to get a tool like this that is very easy to use.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,633 Posts
Is this a universal bezel remover? This would be a great tool for the DIY WIS.

Now is there an equal tool for putting the bezel back onto the watch?
Hey Derek, it looks like a simplified version of the tool the watchmakers at Omega use. I've actually handled the genuine tool. It's nice... I want one! The entire area that comes in contact with the bezel assembly should be made of plastic, or other soft material, and NOT bare metal. It's hard to tell what this tool is made of in that crucial contact area.

Anyway, the tool works by applying a perfectly even grip all along the circumference of the bezel assembly. Then the user simply pulls up; it often takes significant, steady force to prize it off. How hard the bezel assembly is to remove depends on how tight of a grip the old bezel spring has on the metal "cylindrical" part of the case that it attaches to.

Re-installing the bezel, or installing a new bezel, requires no tools other than one's hands. It just snaps back on. This too may require significant force, depending, again, on how "tight" the bezel spring has been adjusted.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Thanks Kevin for the great advice. I might just have to add one of those tools to the rest of my watch tinkering kit. Mind you I'd be practicing bezel removal on something like a Seiko diver first.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Here is the Omega tool being used to swap the bezel on an Omega Planet Ocean.

First the correct size disk is selected - as noted above these are made of urethane, and are non marking. The tool is placed over the bezel, squeezed and rotated, and the bezel pops right off:

I always clean the watch case and click spring, then the spring must be inserted so the tab facing down is in the correct location on the watch case:

Here it is in place:

Lubricate the tabs with Fomblin grease:

Then snap the bezel back in place:

I have used several different bezel removers over the years, but the Omega model is the nicest. I stay away from metal designs, as no matter what the material they can still damage the finish. I've used the Omega tool for Omegas of course, but also Rolex, Oris, Panerai, Tag, etc.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there,

The Aluminium tool wont mark the case in general use and as the sides are straightsided works perfectly well. The rubber neoprene insert on the Omega tool looks good but I don't know how hard wearing the insert is as haven't tried the $1000 tool set.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there,

The Omega tool certainly looks a work of art, I had the tool made so that I could remove the omega bezel and couldn't afford the $1000 Omega set would also have her shipped over to the UK so more cost etc etc.

The 6082 or 7075 Al is a good grade of material hasn't marked the DLC'D Omegas I've worked on yet, but do get your point about using a tool with rubber/neoprene I haven't tried that route yet but will.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you could make the bezel remover with rubber/neoprene i bet you could sell quite a few of them :-!.

Hi there,

The Omega tool certainly looks a work of art, I had the tool made so that I could remove the omega bezel and couldn't afford the $1000 Omega set would also have her shipped over to the UK so more cost etc etc.

The 6082 or 7075 Al is a good grade of material hasn't marked the DLC'D Omegas I've worked on yet, but do get your point about using a tool with rubber/neoprene I haven't tried that route yet but will.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Of course. If there was a market for these things I guarantee I could give their price an absolute thrashing, and I can get custom urethane parts molded no problem. I've done it plenty of times in the past. If you haven't already guessed this, I'm a machinist. (I also do sales/estimating and purchasing for my shop). They should be embarrassed selling that tool for that price. I bet I could get awfully near that $200 price with an order for 10 or 15 of these. And they are mass producing them! This thing is a prime example of why all the manufacturing work in the U.S. and Britain has been driven overseas to Chicom countries.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm in, will definitely take a copy of the Omega Set for $200

There must easily be another 10-15 people out there who will also buy to make this happen.

I'm tired of struggling to remove the SMP Rotating Rings w/out bending them.

Lets get this group buy happening!!!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Of course. If there was a market for these things I guarantee I could give their price an absolute thrashing, and I can get custom urethane parts molded no problem. I've done it plenty of times in the past. If you haven't already guessed this, I'm a machinist. (I also do sales/estimating and purchasing for my shop). They should be embarrassed selling that tool for that price. I bet I could get awfully near that $200 price with an order for 10 or 15 of these. And they are mass producing them! This thing is a prime example of why all the manufacturing work in the U.S. and Britain has been driven overseas to Chicom countries.
I'm just curious which countries are, ah, "chicom countries"?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.