WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to drool at a Speedmaster in person at an AD. I found the closest one to me in the DC area, and was told they weren't allowed to carry Omegas since a Boutique opened just across the mall aisle from them. (Luckily they have other branches.) So I moseyed across to the Boutique.

The saleswoman was very knowledgeable (she said they were regularly quizzed by their management). The most basic Speedy they had on display was an auto date model. I got the impression that this was the new "basic" Speedmaster model. Can anyone confirm or deny that idea?

She said they had the windup non-dates in the back. I thought it odd that they wouldn't have the full range of models on display. I asked her to bring out a day/date; she said they had a blue dial model available.

It was beautiful! So elegant...and much smaller than I'd thought from the pictures. So now I'm in lust again. All I need is a few thousand dollars...

Arthur

·
6,880 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Arthur!

I'm afraid this place won't help your wallet much, but it's a fun place to hang out and discuss our favorite brand (and others). If you have any questions, just ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't know if there is such a thing as a "basic" speedmaster, but it sounds like she was talking about the Speedmaster Professional. It's the most basic in the sense that it is a manual wind with no date display. But it is also (many would argue) the best Speedmaster of the bunch. Kind of surprised it was not on display.

The blue triple-date is really nice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if there is such a thing as a "basic" speedmaster, but it sounds like she was talking about the Speedmaster Professional...
That's what I meant. The Speedy that's most close to the original. No date, no day, got to wind...that's basic to me.

My best friend in high school in the late 60s wore a Speedmaster (not Professional) that his grandfather had bought in 1961 or so. It was Kevin's daily watch. I'm sure his parents were appalled that he'd wear something that valuable to school. I thought it was just the best watch anywhere, ever. And I still do.

He always joked with the principal that his watch keep better time than the Simplex master clock system that ran all the bells.

I'm lusting after the "basic" model (in memory of my bud, Kevin, who was killed in Vietnam in 1971)... No commemorative, no fancy colors, no nothing.

And the date/date (leaning toward the black/gray face, though I wouldn't say no to the blue)...because I love complicated watches. (Both with stainless steel bracelet.) Nothing in between! <g>

Arthur

·
Premium Member
5,740 Posts
They had a Speedy Pro on a black band on display the last time I was there (a couple of weeks ago). BTW, there's a jeweler in Tysons that has Omegas as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Open a checking account...call it "Speedmaster Fund"...wait a few months...post pictures here when you get it...rename account to "Seamaster Fund"...repeat.
I received an auto-counting money box as a Christmas gift and it became my "watch fund". Every couple of days I'd empty my change into the jar. I also added "unexpected cash", such as birthday/christmas cash - Basically, any money I wouldn't notice or miss. I enjoyed seeing the money grow and it added up quickly. But. . . if you're like me, there are a few problems with this system.

1. I started breaking large notes when not necessary, just to obtain coin change. :)
2. Borrowing change from my normal spending money means I had to go to the ATM more.
3. It was a pest to count/bag the coins and then make trips into the bank to deposit.
4. I couldn't wait to buy my speedy, so the "watch fund" covered less than 1/3 of the cost.

Flaws aside, it was a fun way to save and there's some sense of achievement in the end. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Open a checking account...call it "Speedmaster Fund"...wait a few months...post pictures here when you get it...rename account to "Seamaster Fund"...repeat.
I LIKE that idea! In my case, I'd get both Speedmasters (Still haven't decided if I want an Original of a Day/Date first), then a Seamaster. But the point is I'd get an Omega. I've also got to do some shopping to see who's got the best price in the DC area, so I can get my SM's faster!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just charge it. You'll have up to 1 month to figure out how to pay for it. This method works best when you aren't married. :)

Reactions: Vertec

·
Registered
99 Posts
I was looking to drool at a Speedmaster in person at an AD. I found the closest one to me in the DC area, and was told they weren't allowed to carry Omegas since a Boutique opened just across the mall aisle from them. (Luckily they have other branches.) So I moseyed across to the Boutique.

The saleswoman was very knowledgeable (she said they were regularly quizzed by their management). The most basic Speedy they had on display was an auto date model. I got the impression that this was the new "basic" Speedmaster model. Can anyone confirm or deny that idea?

She said they had the windup non-dates in the back. I thought it odd that they wouldn't have the full range of models on display. I asked her to bring out a day/date; she said they had a blue dial model available.

It was beautiful! So elegant...and much smaller than I'd thought from the pictures. So now I'm in lust again. All I need is a few thousand dollars...

Arthur
check out:
lenkendorfer: at Tysons corner mall. (Tysons I)
and at Tysons II Galleria second floor, the Omega Boutique. if you go there, talk to Jason Born (Yes, his real name). He's very friendly, honest opinions, and very knowledgeable.

for discounts though, i'd go to Lenkendorfer at Tysons I, since they offer immediate 15% off retail sticker price.

hope this helps a bit, as for money....well, welcome to our world. i'm sure i'm not the only one on this forum that has a growing list and not enough funds to feed my watch addiction.
best of luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I personally like going to the Boutique at Tyson's Galleria. If I am not mistaken, Joseph Born is the sales associate that SMP89 is talking about. I've worked with him a few time and he's been great every time I go into the Boutique. I'm one to normally buy from an AD, but with the customer service I always get in the Boutique, my next purchase will be from Joseph. He has gone out of his watch to find information and bring watches that I've showed interest in. I just need to decide if I want the new PO Chrono Titan or Non Chrono??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Open a credit card with 18 months no interest, buy the watch(es) now, spread the payments out of the next year and a half.

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Went to the Boutique last week to window shop and walked out with a Speedmaster 3570.50.00. They had a nice selection of Speedys in the case and spent mucho time with me trying and looking at them. Amazingly friendly and really great service.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
Shoot me a PM and I can help with a quote from the forum sponsor. You can compare to the prices locally. He's from the EU but ships worldwide and many have used him, including myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts