WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The original bracelets for these watches, in stainless, carried part number 1209/202 (pics below). Some time ago, Omega replaced these with part number 3018/202. I had been wondering for some time what the difference was between these two bracelets -- the new one and the old one. Well, now I know, because I had to get one of the new ones. The newer bracelets look identical to the old ones except for the clasp, which is a bit smaller and narrower on the new ones. The major difference is the weight: The links on the new bracelets must be hollow, because they are much, much lighter. Accordingly, they feel a bit flimsier, and the relative lightness of those new bracelets doesn't match the weight of the watch head. So, I prefer the heavier, old-style bracelets, although the newer ones aren't too bad.

Here's a pic of the underside of each bracelet style on different halves of this watch -- you can see the difference:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Damn, what is it with Omega and their modern versions of the older bracelets - the 1171 is the same... such a shame :(

On one of the forums (Omega on WUS I think) I think MarkEg (possilbly) did a refurb of the centerlinks of an original bracelet like these with 8mm springbars, If we could find a reliable way to get the links out, Id hapily refub the ones I have...

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info, Craig! :-! In the pic you attached, is one of the bracelets the new type?
No, all 3 are the original style.

Here's a good example how my life works . . . so for months, I've checked eBay to find an original bracelet, a 1209/202. Never could find one, although an Australian seller often posted the 3018/202 (new bracelets) for sale. I then gave up and got the new style, and after it arrived, I made the post above (yesterday). Literally right after I made the post, I said to myself, "Just for the hell of it, I'll check eBay again." [You know where this is going.] And there, before my eyes, was someone who had just posted the old-style bracelet (1209/202) for a price that was a bit less than I paid for the new one (it was in GBP, roughly $170 USD), "Buy It Now" price. So I grabbed it. Assuming it arrives safe and sound, I guess I'll have a spare new-style 3018/202 bracelet in a week or so! C'est la vie.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If they won't, I know I will :)

Actually, I managed to change a few spring bars on my Chrono-Quartz (similar bracelet) by getting a scalpel blade in the gap. One could then get just enough leverage to lever the pin out.

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good catch! With all the 15xxs you have, pretty soon Bienne will be contacting you for spare parts. :-d
We'll see what happens. I just typed the tracking number into the Swiss Post website and it says the package is well on its way to Great Britain. That'd be great news . . . if I were in Great Britain. :think:

That's what I love about eBay -- ALWAYS an adventure!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I saw that bracelet as well Gino. I emailed him and asked for photos of the back and he ignored me.. will be a good catch if its as good as it looked from the top...

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Excellent info, BTTT, wish I'd seen it before ordering a replacement bracelet from Ofrei...interestingly it's called the 3019/202 now.

Before taxes, Ofrei have it for $242 and CousinsUK for £116.95...quite a bit cheaper

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Damn, what is it with Omega and their modern versions of the older bracelets - the 1171 is the same... such a shame :(

On one of the forums (Omega on WUS I think) I think MarkEg (possilbly) did a refurb of the centerlinks of an original bracelet like these with 8mm springbars, If we could find a reliable way to get the links out, Id hapily refub the ones I have...
Would any 8mm springbars do the job? Not sure how available these are...

A couple of years ago a guy in France told me he'd bought these small springs that Omega used to connect the links in their bracelets in the 70s, such as on the 1209/202 of the 2.4Mhz Megaquartz but also on many others. He was going to give me the link but I guess he forgot...

I'm guessing it would be CousinsUK but I'm probably not looking in the right place, anyone know or rebuilt one of these old bracelets? They do tend to stretch over the years!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts