WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at possibly purchasing an Omega SM or PO with a ceramic case.

I like the looks of a black case but never liked how DLC or PVC wear. I think even the Damasko hardened or Sinn tegimented black cases will eventually show wear, albeit probably less than other black coatings.

But ceramic? Has anyone had experience with it over several years?

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
I've experienced it over 3 years with a DSotM. No scratches and no dings, and I've had some bad knocks against door frames, knobs, tables, car door, etc. I'm sure it can crack/ding with a really, really hard knock, but it seems perfectly fine for daily wear so far.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Omega ceramic is considered to be one of the best, if not THE. I have had them for many years, no scratches that I can see, and the gloss is very deep. I am a believer. Although, lately things seem to be trending the way of matte than gloss.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've experienced it over 3 years with a DSotM. No scratches and no dings, and I've had some bad knocks against door frames, knobs, tables, car door, etc. I'm sure it can crack/ding with a really, really hard knock, but it seems perfectly fine for daily wear so far.
What's your experience like with changing straps?
I'm contemplating an Omega Seamaster Black Black but I have this imaginary fear that I would chip the lug holes every time I attempt to remove/insert the spring bars 😅

Although, lately things seem to be trending the way of matte than gloss.
I get what you're saying with both Rado and IWC releasing matte ceramic watches.
However without some polished facets, I think ceramic can look a bit like plastic (also depending on the colour or the non-polished facets).
For instance both Blancpain and Omega tend to have various types of brushed finishing. On the Rado and IWC the review photos made them look "bead blasted" which (imo) is what made them look plasticky.

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
What's your experience like with changing straps?
I'm contemplating an Omega Seamaster Black Black but I have this imaginary fear that I would chip the lug holes every time I attempt to remove/insert the spring bars 😅
Changing straps on it is much better than a steel watch because there are never scratches... I can just carelessly use a regular pen-style tool instead of the tweezer type. Very convenient and superior to other materials in that regard.

Changing out the strap wouldn't chip the lug holes unless you are putting down some wicked force like tapping on the end of the tool with a hammer.

Reactions: Joe90

·
Registered
229 Posts
Changing straps on it is much better than a steel watch because there are never scratches... I can just carelessly use a regular pen-style tool instead of the tweezer type. Very convenient and superior to other materials in that regard.

Changing out the strap wouldn't chip the lug holes unless you are putting down some wicked force like tapping on the end of the tool with a hammer.

Thanks 6R15!
I imagined that there would be "inbuilt stress" or simply that the material around the lug holes would be more prone to chipping because of their design, so that's a relief to hear!

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Yeah, I've had a great experience with my Ceramic Planet Ocean. Admittedly, I've only had it 15 months, not 'years'. However, in that time, it's been an utter joy to own.
It's incredibly accurate, super comfortable, very resistant to scratches.........and so beautiful.
Usually, by now, my stainless steel watches are covered with tiny, yet visible, hairline scratches. This is purely from daily wear. Now, my Omega remains 100% scratch free and I do mean 100%!
About two months ago, I carelessly banged it against a metal shopping trolley. It made a horrible 'clang' and my heart sank in fear of the anticipated carnage to the watch case.
On looking, I could see two deep silver 'gouges' on the side of the case.
Once home, I inspected my watch with my illuminated & magnifying loupe, to assess the damage. I could see two silver lines on the case.
Using a pencil eraser, I rubbed the lines probably about 8-10 times, and miraculously, the marks completely disappeared! It became apparent that the marks were nothing more than the (softer) metal from the trolley, that had been deposited on the much harder Ceramic case. I was overjoyed.
So, yes, from my experience of ownership, I'd thoroughly recommend a Ceramic cased Omega watch!
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

·
Registered
229 Posts
My only other thought is around “character”.

I totally appreciate how Ceramic is harder to scratch but I’m wondering if (this positive attribute) this might detract somewhat from the “character” of the watch?

How does a Ceramic watch make you feel compared to owning a steel watch?

Apologies to the OP if “took over” over his post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think steel makes a strong case for being a top material to make a watch out of, but if you have a bunch of steel (and perhaps a titanium one or two) already, is it really cool adding a ceramic to the mix?

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I think steel makes a strong case for being a top material to make a watch out of, but if you have a bunch of steel (and perhaps a titanium one or two) already, is it really cool adding a ceramic to the mix?
IME yes, I felt it added another dimensionality to my collection personally. And no one does ceramic better than Omega IMO.
Watch Hand Analog watch White Light

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Not Omega, but I've had my Bell & Ross ceramic for a number of years now and it still looks great. Condition wise, it's much better than my SS watches. No scuffs or scratches.

·
Premium Member
39,786 Posts
I have two Omegas with ceramic. Tough as nails so far. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
This thread made me realize I don't own a single steel Omega (out of my 3 total).

Here are my two ceramics:
Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock

Love em both so far. Had the GSOTM since 2019 and there are zero scratches, nicks, scuffs, etc on it.
Had the PO since this past summer, but sadly this one has some kinda smoky matte coating on it that does get scuffed :(

It is completely matte though and I never thought it looked plastic. People usually ask me if it has DLC if anything.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
This thread made me realize I don't own a single steel Omega (out of my 3 total).

View attachment 16179655

Love em both so far. Had the GSOTM since 2019 and there are zero scratches, nicks, scuffs, etc on it.
Had the PO since this past summer, but sadly this one has some kinda smoky matte coating on it that does get scuffed :(

It is completely matte though and I never thought it looked plastic. People usually ask me if it has DLC if anything.
Very nice, indeed! (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts

View attachment 16179655

That's a V-nice pair of watches. Do the "scuffs" on the PO come out with care/rubbing... or no?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts