WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a “C” Constellation with 751 movement and it has the date slightly higher than the day:

You can still read it just fine, but this watch happens to have an original magnifier crystal and so the flaw is magnified, making it stand out. It’s most noticeable when “FRI / 10” where I and 1 clearly doesn’t match up.

I’ve shown it to a watchmaker and he says he doesn’t want to touch the calendar mechanism and I should just leave the vintage watch alone, but to me it does stick out and I would try if it could be fixed without disturbing the mechanism too much. I mean, a lot of “problems” we share here do not interfere with the watch’s function, but I feel that once you notice it, small flaws don’t feel small anymore, especially when the rest of the watch is in pretty good condition.

If you’re familiar with the 751 movement (chronometer, pull-out quickset date) would you attempt to remedy the date, or is it best left alone because of the risks?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Similar discussion in 2013 (although connected to a different problem), perhaps this helps:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/day-date-change-constellation-751-cal-914102.html
Day and date changes occur normally. One watchmaker I took the 751 to said that the gears that click the date into position erode over time, resulting in a off-center date. So according to him there’s not much that can be done... but I wonder if minute adjustments to the wheel are possible (and reasonable)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi there,

So according to him there’s not much that can be done... but I wonder if minute adjustments to the wheel are possible (and reasonable)
In many movements the riveted star can be turned in relation to the disk with moderate force. But I just looked at a sample in my material box, and unfortunately Omega used a riveting tool that prevents this adjustment. So I've no clue what happens if you force the junction between both loose.The alternative would be to modify the day jumper by grinding off a bit on one side, but this is of course a permanent deviation from the original shape.

So finally there are some options, but honestly, I'd prefer to live with this tiny imperfection, and do nothing.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi there,

In many movements the riveted star can be turned in relation to the disk with moderate force. But I just looked at a sample in my material box, and unfortunately Omega used a riveting tool that prevents this adjustment. So I've no clue what happens if you force the junction between both loose.The alternative would be to modify the day jumper by grinding off a bit on one side, but this is of course a permanent deviation from the original shape.

So finally there are some options, but honestly, I'd prefer to live with this tiny imperfection, and do nothing.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Thanks for your honest input. I would of course prefer the imperfection to a surgery that you describe.

Since the offset is consistent across the wheel, could it be that the wheel itself is either mismatched or faulty?

I might also switch out the magnifier crystal to a non-magnifying crystal, which looks better in my opinion and hides the imperfection somewhat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts