WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Great Work Desmond.. a wonderful resource for all woud be buyers of connies.
I would say that maybe a section on black dial connies may be helpful as 99% of black dialled connies for sale and reprsented as original dials are infact redialled.
I guess someting about the vintage omega database service may also be useful as i have found many collectors are not aware of this.
All the ebst and great work:-!
Mamas

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the reference to the Omega site is tucked away a bit in the dot points.

Good point re black dials. Interesting that one of the better ways to tell quickly if a black dial is real is to look at dial degradation. Ive never seen a black one that didnt have some signs of ageing. Seen some very pretty example where dial spot looks copperish against the black background.

Black dials as far as I know were made in very limited quantities - whats your understanding?

Cheers

desmond

Great Work Desmond.. a wonderful resource for all woud be buyers of connies.
I would say that maybe a section on black dial connies may be helpful as 99% of black dialled connies for sale and reprsented as original dials are infact redialled.
I guess someting about the vintage omega database service may also be useful as i have found many collectors are not aware of this.
All the ebst and great work:-!
Mamas

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Desmond i completely agree with you. I doubt all that large a number of black dial connies were prduced even though ebay is awash with them. I must say the one thing which i find very surprising is that although i have seen / have mint examples of black dialled semasters / 30mm calibre watches etc etc one hardly ever sees a mint black dialled connie. It may be that the connie cases left them more susceptible to water damage?

Like you i am very suspicious of mint black dialled connies. The ones in matt black are invariably fakes but also ones with dial that is too glossy. The JFM NOS fake ones are also matt black...again which is incorrect.. should be more gloss. I have found that original black dialled connies as they age have a starry sky type appearnace with flecks of gold / brown patina which is quite appealing. On e obvious marker of a redial is in TT connies some poepel do the constellation script in white.. all the original ones i have seen are in gold.
I dont have any black dial connies except my 505 honeycomb dial.. but i do have a friend who as a couple of original black dial connies so i can forward his email address if you need pictures. PerK also has a nice original black dial one too:
http://www.30t2.com/page3/const_odlund.htm

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hi Desmond. Excellent article! Has it grown since I first looked at it? I don't remember the illustrations on page 4. Very helpful. :-!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts