WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm lost. I seem to have chosen watches wich can't be found. I've always had automatic watches and they are all running. In search of I was directed to this site and found at last one of them (yema flygraph - patend pending 76).
Of my sector 650 auto chrono no trace and the same for my all steel Omega Seamaster Cosmic whit blue dial and silver hands and hour indicator. Date (only day) at 3. bracelet integrated. I did found an old german ad (www.old-omegas.com-pics-dieuhr-p10.jpg) but no further info. Some one who has more info about the watch??
I wonder if its worth to repair it?

bad watch chooser.
(altough, i'm looking to buy the Seamaster 2599.80 but still considering)

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Would you be able to post photos of the Cosmic? That would help a great deal in providing additional information. BTW, your link doesn't seem to be working for me.

eric

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Link works, now

That link works. Thanks.

As indicated by the catalogue date from Steve's site, it looks like you have a mid to late-70s Seamaster Cosmic 2000. I believe that the earlier date models were powered by the c.565, but yours likely uses a c.1012. This is a very solid, reliable Omega movement.

It's tough to say whether you should have it repaired. The first question is what is wrong with it? How is the overall condition? How much do you like it?

These seem to go for anywhere in the range of $200-$700.

Hope that helps a bit.

eric

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed your helping.

I bought the watch begin 1983. So it can be a late 70's model.
What is wrong with it?
it isn't moving anymore. If one pulls out the crown, the crown and a metal stift come out. I think my father (who wore it a that time) forgot to unscrew and then pulled with an instrument althus breaking the weakest part.
The crystal isn't crystal clear anymore (several schratches) but the watch was cheked before the pulling history and found in good schape.

What to do and who (and of cours how much)

Bart

pictures still in production fase

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
It's just too hard to say

I'm nothing even slightly resembling a watchmaker but, at the very least, it should be serviced, which will probably run $100-200. I can't say much about the crown issue. If the parts aren't damaged, a good watchmaker may be able to reassemble them, or it may require a new stem. Dependingon how bad the crystal is scratched, you may be able to polish it. Plain white toothpaste and a clean cloth works reasonably well; Brasso is also effective, but you should take care to keep it on the crystal.

The long and the short of it is, I just can't say what the cost would be. You're best option is to take it to a local watchmaker and have him examine and evaluate it.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
323 Posts
Eric

I have a feeling the original crystals on the Cosmic 2000's are mineral and so not able to be polished with the brasso/toothpaste method.

You can replace them with a generic acrylic crystal that are naturally domed, whereas the 2000's mineral glass are flat. I know this because I have two in being serviced (mine are 1022 day/dates), both with chipped glass and was offered the option of the less expensive acrylic option.

The mineral crystal is quite a bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion to keep it original and the profile across the top flat

They are a robust unit and properly serviced can be worn for many years and do not need to be handled like they are some precious thing - they were sports watches and can be "exercised" IMHO.

They look sweet with the strap with the holes in it - does anyone know a source for those today?

Hope to see pics of the watch soon Greybart.

Cheers

Richard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Ok, the pics should be here now. I can't see them and I wonder if anyone can. Read eptaz piece about photobucket but there must be a way to post the pic directly, no?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry,

I can't see the pics so nobody can. Searching for another way. Have done it before so I must be able to do it again.

Bart

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tried to attach the images in a separate file. Last attempt. If this doesn't work I certainly need advice. Don't know why it was so easy the last time I posted something. Must be the chrismas drinks already.

Bart

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
It is a great watch with a very good movement and very robust case, it is worth to be restored and serviced.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Are you kidding Bart ...

That's a little gem!

Get a new mineral glass crystal installed, have it serviced and polish the case and bracelet. I reckon it should top out (assuming not too many parts are required) at $250-$300 and any competent watchmaker can work on that baby.

As Eric says it has a c.1012 whirring around inside which is as tough as nails and will be very accurate for years to come if treated with only modest respect!

When you get it back it will look and operate like a new watch. Love to see pics of it when/if you get it done.

Happy holidays! santasmile

Richard

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Merry christmas to you all and thanks for the good advice.

I brought it in and my watchmaker will give me an estimation before restoring. He offer to do so for free. Why??
Because of this forum.
I've always been interested in watches (mechanicals) and was looking around a bit. In search of my old omega I kept looking in this forum and stumbeld over the Seamaster pro chronograph. Saw it som years aga at a friends wrist, thought is was the max, but let it pass.
This forum brought every thing back and now I am the proud owner of it.
Where do I send the bill???

Thanks
Bart

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got my cosmic back. (not from omega but from the AD who has his own atelier)It's repaired, has a new crystal and is keeping time (where it was made for).
Two problems left.
1) the bracelet isn't in very good shape anymore. This problem is from longer ago and when the watch was serviced at omega they did put on a new one but not the same as the original. I did found a fine metal worker who fixed the original but my watchmaker (who did the last service) told me to watch out and not losing the watch by breaking the bracelet. Anyone who knows where to find an original (or some links, only two are not reliable)?
2) the metal case is scratched around the crystal. any method to work them away without scratching the new crystal? The SS is not polished and never was (bit like the SMPchr case) so it already has sratches. On the forum I read somthing about a sponge with a rough side but that was for the clasp only.

·
Registered
26,053 Posts
Hi Greybart,

Here is mine :

I bought it second hand 9 months ago when I began to develop my interest in time pieces... I think it needs to be authentified, because there are strange issues about it, like the unmarked crown :think:

It's in a poor condition, but I only paid 100€ for it...

Regards

Hi there,

I'm lost. I seem to have chosen watches wich can't be found. I've always had automatic watches and they are all running. In search of I was directed to this site and found at last one of them (yema flygraph - patend pending 76).
Of my sector 650 auto chrono no trace and the same for my all steel Omega Seamaster Cosmic whit blue dial and silver hands and hour indicator. Date (only day) at 3. bracelet integrated. I did found an old german ad (www.old-omegas.com-pics-dieuhr-p10.jpg) but no further info. Some one who has more info about the watch??
I wonder if its worth to repair it?

bad watch chooser.
(altough, i'm looking to buy the Seamaster 2599.80 but still considering)

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Wishful thinking on the seller's part. Here's mine on the same bracelet. They are rare with this case and bracelet, but are still well under the collector radar.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice pics. I have found the cosmic on the omega vintage site with numbers caliber and all the specs. Yours must be older, I think. It has the 2000 on the dial. The ST 366.0838 not. It is a beautiful watch altough it was designer in 1973.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts