WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wonder if anyone can help with some identification.

I bought what I am told is an 18K gold Ladies De Ville auto from late 60's/early 70's.

I had to get the bracelet, which is integral to the case, altered to fit the slender wrist of its recipient. We took the cut off bits of bracelet to a goldsmith to do a trade in and they have returned them saying that "it is not gold". Now I know 18 is not pure gold, only 75%, but they are adamant it is not 18k. Which raises some questions about the watch.

I attach a photo. Quality not great, the macro doesn't work well, and I have only had the back off at my local watch shop, couldn't take photo.

On the clasp of the bracelet it reads: 7511.1527 and 750
Back of case reads
18K 0.75
B7847

Movement seems to read (but so small, hard to be definite)

I can't find any of these numbers at the Omega database.

Any insights or comments gratefully accepted

Worminger

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Replying to my own post to correct some detail. I have now had the opportunity to look at the inside with a better magnifier and correct teh info as follows:

Movement no 30034188
Cal 620
Case back has 18K over 0.750 in an enclosed cartcouche
Below to the right that a symbol that looks like a key with the number 20 in it
Below it to the left a symbol of a lady's head facing left enclosed in a triangular line with curves where a triangle's corners normally are
Below that Omega symbol and Omega Watch Co in a triangle
Below that Fab.Suisse and Swiss Made
Then following numbers on two lines:

Still can't find those reference numbers or the movement number on the Omega website vintage watch search, but a search of the 620 calibre shows this watch (unfortunately no picture so identification is hard):

BA 711.1530

which sounds similar.

I think the goldsmith is probably blowing smoke and just didn't want (for whatever reason) to give me credit for the gold cut offs, but I am keen to make a positive id.

Any thoughts most welcome.

Worminger

·
Registered
512 Posts
From your photos and the data you've given I'd be really shocked if the watch wasn't 100% genuine omega. Remember that watch collecting is a mostly male pasttime, and this makes the data on ladies watches sometimes lacking.

I would also be suprised if the band was anything but 18KT gold. Personally I think that your jeweler is either mistaken, or is trying to get a couple of chunks of "free" gold.

If you're really curious, then look at the cut end of the metal using a 10X loupe. Look for different color base metal indicating a gold filled construction.

My wife has several Omegas from the same era and we've never seen anything but solid gold and where applicable VVS clairity diamonds.

Fellow collectors should take note that womens gold and diamond omega watches can be had at bargain prices. This can lead to a hobby you both participate in.

...Kevin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts