WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
As far as the watch itself is concerned, it's inevitable that it will evolve. Heck, it already has! Otherwise it would still be a symmetrical case with 321 movement. Kudos to Omega for having kept it as close to the original as possible. It's really neat that while everyone else is releasing re-issues of older models and vintage-looking new models Omega has kept up with virtually the same formula. I look forward to see:
- 3861 movement (isn't it the co-axial version of the 1861 with silicon spring and hacking, otherwise the same?)
- Sapphire glass that is curved so it looks like the hesalite model and doesn't show the milky ring
- Ceramic bezel
- Still 42mm, asymmetrical case

As far as the 'moonwatch' part is concerned, that is trickier. Someone suggested that Omega could do the same original tests, and I'd be fine with that. Does NASA even qualify watches any more?? I'd be curious to learn more on this aspect if someone knows something. I know that the X-33 has the OK from NASA as well as nearly every G-Shock on the planet, but all pictures I've seen of astronauts doing an EVA the only watch I see is the Speedmaster. Is it possible that EVAs are still only possible with the speedy? That would be incredibly cool if it were true (in which case I would hope a hesalite version to continue to be on the menu.
I’ve read that G-Shocks and similar digital watches are not used on EVAs. If I recall the reason had something to do with the electronics not able to handle the extreme temperatures.

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
Could Omega still style a 3861-powered Speedmaster Pro "The Moonwatch"? I think that it's a stretch, is Omega really ready to drop the Moonwatch moniker?

Yes, the 1861 is different to the 321 - but it's pretty darn close.
The 1861 is basically the same as the 861, which WAS qualified for space flight by NASA, so that's not much of a stretch. 321 to 861 is more of a change going from a column-wheel to cam operated chronograph.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Out in the wild, there are actually way more Constellations (around half of all Omegas sold), while Seamasters (including the Aqua Terra), Planet Oceans all sell more than the Speedmaster Pro. The Speedy is a very niche watch, unlike a Submariner. WUS is an interesting bubble ;)

This is why I think it would make more sense for Omega to upmarket this line as they are obviously using it as their flag bearer despite it ironically being one of their cheapest watch. A Speedmaster should be more expensive given its brand, heritage, and iconic status. I would say $5-6000 would be a more reasonable price with 0 discounting.
Interesting perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
How do you guys think this will affect the Apollo 8 with basically the same movement? Think that one might be coming to an end as well?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do you guys think the new 3861 will also get a ceramic bezel?

I'm hoping to acquire my first ever Speedmaster, but I heard that Speedmasters can be a bit of a scratch magnet.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Do you guys think the new 3861 will also get a ceramic bezel?

I'm hoping to acquire my first ever Speedmaster, but I heard that Speedmasters can be a bit of a scratch magnet.
I'd love that. If Omega released a METAS Speedy Pro with ceramic bezel at a reasonable mark-up I'd buy one. I love the styling of the Speedy, but I want the cutting edge of Omega tech to go along with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just me two cents here..

Omega will retain the current 1861 movement in the hesalite Speedy while upgrading the movement to the new 3821 for the sapphire crystal Speedy. That way, there is a watch for everyone from entry level to modern to most history accurate and most expensive.

Omega would not discontinue one of their most popular lines. Just as Rolex would not discontinue one of their most iconic, profitable lines. It just does not make good business sense.

Agreed, especially, in light of the historic SpaceX mission and the renewed focus on astronauts and NASA.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think something can be said for this line of reasoning. Perhaps discontinuing is the wrong word but there is reason to suspect that Omega may move the Speedmaster more upmarket than it has been so far. Omega has been increasing prices dramatically. Just last year, I believe in May and October, there were two price hikes of about 10% each. The hesalite Speedmaster is now 4.700 euro in my country while it was only 3.900 euros a couple of years ago. And that aggressive price increase has been something we have been seeing from Omega for years. Since the 2000's the prices of Omega watches have more than doubled.

My own personal take is that they realized that the Omega brand can demand a much higher premium (due to heritage, technical competence, brand recognition) and they started increasing prices to capitalize on this. I think a decision was made to position Omega as a higher level of luxury brand and they are still continuing that trend. The Speedmaster may also be included in this direction. A great way to move it more upscale while staying true to its heritage is to change the movement (either revert to 321 or improve 1861) and offer it in precious metals. And that is exactly what Omega has been doing. I would not be surprised if these kinds of models replace the regular Speedmaster in time as these price increases continue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think something can be said for this line of reasoning. Perhaps discontinuing is the wrong word but there is reason to suspect that Omega may move the Speedmaster more upmarket than it has been so far. Omega has been increasing prices dramatically. Just last year, I believe in May and October, there were two price hikes of about 10% each. The hesalite Speedmaster is now 4.700 euro in my country while it was only 3.900 euros a couple of years ago. And that aggressive price increase has been something we have been seeing from Omega for years. Since the 2000's the prices of Omega watches have more than doubled.

My own personal take is that they realized that the Omega brand can demand a much higher premium (due to heritage, technical competence, brand recognition) and they started increasing prices to capitalize on this. I think a decision was made to position Omega as a higher level of luxury brand and they are still continuing that trend. The Speedmaster may also be included in this direction. A great way to move it more upscale while staying true to its heritage is to change the movement (either revert to 321 or improve 1861) and offer it in precious metals. And that is exactly what Omega has been doing. I would not be surprised if these kinds of models replace the regular Speedmaster in time as these price increases continue.
I totally agree, this is the point...

... at the end, the thing that we all want to know is if the 1861 will still be in production or is going to be replaced by the 3861.

·
Registered
136 Posts
it would make sense from a manufacturing perspective.
the moonwatch is among the few Omega models that are still using non co-axial movements.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Plus people are starting to care a lot about cosc and metas and whatnot and when even miyota movements have hacking seconds, people who aren't moon history obsessed like I am start to not see the 1861/63 as attractive for the price

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts

Great point! Agreed

·
Registered
579 Posts
Great points of view guys. Thanks. Unfortunately I’m way behind everyone. No doubt I want me a speed master but haven’t gone past the FOIS vs.MOTM deliberations yet.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts