WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It appears to still be available on the leather strap on the U.S. site. Also both sapphire sandwich models are available. I'm hoping to pick one up "soonish" so I hope it doesn't get discontinued but I don't think that would happen. What I'm more afraid of is a significant price increase after the new movement.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If anything Omega will likely add another variant of Speedmaster with 4 different variants and maybe a rose gold option to make the Speedmaster catalogue even bigger and more confusing. :) What's more is that you can now also get Man on the Moon sunglasses to go with your watch.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If anything Omega will likely add another variant of Speedmaster with 4 different variants and maybe a rose gold option to make the Speedmaster catalogue even bigger and more confusing. :) What's more is that you can now also get Man on the Moon sunglasses to go with your watch.
where do i get said motm sunglasses. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
So, consensus is that there's nothing to see here and the good old Speedy Pro will be back on the international Omega site any moment now (because currently none of the 1861/1863 based models seem to be available directly from the international site)?

(I'd be bummed when it turns out I've procrastinated just a week too long before ordering my Sapphire Sandwich and seeing it replaced by a more upmarket model.)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
According to Bruce Williams it might be last chance to get the Speedmaster at 5000-6000$.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's possible but would be a terrible idea. Moonwatches shouldn't be 7 to 8k i mean the 2018 seamaster update was HUGE massive improvement in movement and quality and didn't go up in price that much

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
What do you guys think will happen with the Apollo 8’s 1869 since it’s just a decorated 1861?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
More fuel for the fire. Jaguarshark just posted this in another thread.
I'm not making a prediction either way, but I was at an AD here in Vancouver yesterday and they've just received 4 Hesalite Speedy Pros this past week.

The sales associate, who's a watch enthusiast himself, claims that in the near future the 3861 will be replacing the 1861 and 1863 movements in the Speemaster Professional lineup. Now, whether that means OMEGA will continue to have a Hesalite with engraved caseback AND a sapphire sandwich version remains to be seen.

I'm my opinion, everything is speculation until OMEGA unveils their new Speemaster lineup. It's fun to speculate though...so keep it coming. We can all use the entertainment.

René

Reactions: rjohnson56

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
Thinking about this more this could be Omega taking a page from the Rolex playbook. There’s no shortage of 1861s but if they move to replace the Speedmaster line with co-axial movements this would create more hype for the Speedy; at least for the small population of WIS.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm my opinion, everything is speculation until OMEGA unveils their new Speemaster lineup. It's fun to speculate though...so keep it coming.
Ok, let's play this game.

I doubt they'll tinker too much with the form factor. They'll instantly lose at least half their sales if they change their moonwatch too obviously. So what's left then beside the 3861 movement?

Their twisted lugs design is pretty much a brand signature for Omega, so if they'd change that, they'll probably do that across their main portfolio. Have we seen any hints of that yet?

So I'd guess we could see a ceramic/enamel tachymeter bezel, new bracelet with fancier clasp (micro-adjustable), updated faceplate - probably a slightly different finishing with applied logo.

I'm not sure what else they could change (beside introducing precious materials or sci-fi-grade steel such as Sinn's tegimented steel treatment) without losing the "moonwatch" claim to fame?

Key question: would that be enough to warrant a substantial markup as rumored?

·
Registered
9,803 Posts
I also doubt that they’ll change too much of the original design as the case and lugs scream Omega. My guess is they’ll update the movement, add a sapphire crystal and maybe a ceramic bezel and call it a day. Then raise the price to slightly above the D300m to create two entry level pieces in the two lines.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
What do you guys think the chances are of them continuing to produce the "Moonwatch" as it is today...same case, engraved caseback, same tachy bezel insert, Hesalite crystal, 1861 movement, and maybe just with an updated bracelet.

The sapphire sandwich would be the model to get the upgraded 3861 movement and all the other talked about changes.

If they chose to do it this way they manage to hang onto the First Watch Worn on the Moon legacy and keep their history with NASA relevant.

My only question with this scenario is...would it be a big to-do to continue to manufacture the 1861 for the "Moonwatch"? Thoughts?

René

This thread is lacking pictures;

20200706_094603.jpg

101 - 120 of 120 Posts