WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just back from the mall. Went into the Omega AD for some try-on and chit chat with the sales ppl. This is what they told me about the SMP:

1) SMP will be discontinued/ final production soon; ie maybe in the middle of Y2011:think:

2) PO will be replacing the SMP and a new PO (I presume with the 8500) will be out together with the new Bond film in Y2013:think:

From my personal opinion, these are just rumours and comments from the AD.
I was there trying on the AT8500 for size and just fooling around in AD:-d.
Sorry, I was not allowed to take any pics in the store:rodekaarto|

Posting on the board to gauge what do you guys/ gal think about this story/ rumour?

Please do not flame me:). Im just sharing what I heard from my area.

Cheers

·
Registered
871 Posts
this doesnt sound too far fetched. Omega has discontiniued far cooler watches than the SMP in the past.

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
Hi,

Just back from the mall. Went into the Omega AD for some try-on and chit chat with the sales ppl. This is what they told me about the SMP:

2) PO will be replacing the SMP and a new PO (I presume with the 8500) will be out together with the new Bond film in Y2013:think:

Please do not flame me:). Im just sharing what I heard from my area.

Cheers
Can't comment on the Omega content Broleo, but I can assure you, whoever ends up making and distributing the new Bond movie, they will move heaven and earth to release it in 2012, that will be a very, very significant anniversary for the Bond series, and one that they will not let slip by.

Sean

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
I like the SMPs so I hope not. Although the PO is the apple of their eye at the moment so I wouldn't be surprised. If I had to choose between a PO & SMP, the SMP would win. Lucky I got both :)

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Two things: In the Stephen Urquhart interview, he said that the SMP would only be given a minor revision as it was a very strong seller for Omega. Also, as part of the MGM Bankruptcy/refinancing deal, they are planning for a November 2012 release for Bond 23 (of course, no one really knows anything for certain and I suppose it could be a sign of the times that the best info' regarding a movie release would be in the hands of one of the product placers).

·
6,880 Posts
I can see that.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this.

I like it that Omega innovates on their product line-up and continually makes room for new styles, designs and technologies, instead of offering the same stuff for years and decades.

On the other hand, I'm not (yet) such a fan of buying second hand something as personal as a watch that I would also like to pass to my children.

And since I find my tastes changing over the years, I've already missed the boat on a few purchases of watches that I didn't consider buying when they were available and which were ultimatley discontinued, such as the Seamaster Professional GMT and the "electric blue".

Who knows, maybe I'll change my mind over time on second hand watches and product discontinuation will become less relevant for me...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't say I'm too happy with this decision if it truly does go through. Even though I am a fan of the PO, I wish Omega stuck to their seamaster lines a little more like they stick to their speedmaster lines (with little revision).

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
As an owner of both I think it would be insane to discontinue the SMP in favour of the PO, I've always viewed them as siblings, clearly from the same family, but far from identical twins. The SMP especially has a character all of it's own, it wears much slimmer than the PO and is arguably Omega's most recognizable model, my wife has a mid-size quartz and loves it to bits.

It would be a very sad day if they were to retire it, I for one certainly hope they don't.

Sean

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
this would, to me like them stopping doing the speedmaster doesnt make sense. i see so many people wearing this watch. unless its because its one of the cheapest autos

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I sincerely hope they don't, its an iconic piece. The bond SMP has been in production in one form or another for 17 years, I'll also bet it's no slouch on the sales either

·
Registered
385 Posts
When I was shopping for my SMP, I talked to a sales person at my local Jared's. She, too, said that the SMP would be discontinued. This was late November-early December.

If true, I think it's a poor decision. While many like the PO, I found it to be less wearable and less comfortable to wear.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
Perhaps these jewellers meant the seamaster would be discontinued in it's 'current' form or didn't know a newer model will take it's place.

/posted via mobile device\

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Can't comment on the Omega content Broleo, but I can assure you, whoever ends up making and distributing the new Bond movie, they will move heaven and earth to release it in 2012, that will be a very, very significant anniversary for the Bond series, and one that they will not let slip by.

Sean
OMG! Sean, this didn't even occur to me. Fifty years since the release of "Dr No". We Bond fans will be in heaven. You'd perhaps better start saving for the limited edition commemorative Seamaster/Planet Ocean that Omega will no doubt be releasing.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Thinking about this, I'm wondering if the SMP is just seen by Omega as too cheap given their much discussed move upmarket. There are only so many times you can slap a price hike on a model which has built it's reputation on value for money.

·
Registered
19,860 Posts
Omega has to kill the SMP because they are better than the PO ?

·
Moderator Omega Forum
2,731 Posts
OMG! Sean, this didn't even occur to me. Fifty years since the release of "Dr No". We Bond fans will be in heaven. You'd perhaps better start saving for the limited edition commemorative Seamaster/Planet Ocean that Omega will no doubt be releasing.
Oh no, Tee, now you've thought of something I hadn't, the Limited Addition 007 50th Anniversary Seamaster, damn, ok I need to start a fund for that immediately......

Sean

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Oh no, Tee, now you've thought of something I hadn't, the Limited Addition 007 50th Anniversary Seamaster, damn, ok I need to start a fund for that immediately......

Sean
Yes. Sorry. But at least you've got until Christmas 2012 to get the money together.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts

Sean

I really hope these rumors are false, or greatly exaggerated. However, when you think about it, a 50th Anniversary 007 LE SMP would make a hell of a swan song for the line....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts