WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as much as I try hard to stay away from gold watches and gold plated/filed watches, I wound up getting a good deal on a working and fully serviced Omega f300 tuning fork watch.

The watch is a gold capped over stainless steel case watch.

I am not very familiar with gold capped watches. How do they hold up to constant wear and tear? I have several old Benrus and Bulova watches that were gold plated and have pitting all along the underside of the watch and in the case of the Benrus, the wearing of the plating has created a small hole in the case near where the case back is.

As it looks like gold capped is simply a "cap of gold" over top of a stainless steel case, any wear through of the cap will just show stainless steel?

Anybody have a gold capped watch? How has it held up?

Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Well, my experience of them is limited to my dad's omega and an eterna I sold cos the dial was too damaged for me - with that said, I would have no problem buying a gold capped watch, in my opinion you'd have to abuse it, to wear through the gold.

My (lucky) old man just picked up a stainless f300 in box at a very very good price recently, he now leads me 5-0 in Omegas, and is getting increasingly smug about it!

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Congrats on the f300hz gold capped is pretty thick unlike gold plated. Look forward to pictures, its funny the older I become the more I don't mind Gold watches.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just today I found this description of Omega "gold top" cases. (Same as gold cap?). Says consists of solid 14k bezel and 100 micron plating on lugs. Maybe this is what you have ? I have an f 300 but it clearly states on caseback that bezel is 14 k gold filled. This also seems fine to me- no wear thru noticeable.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts