WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Images for my newly acquired Flightmaster 910 - Vintage 1970/1971. The watch is 100% original and very lightly used. After 40 years it still keeps great time.

Speedmaster vs. Flightmaster

Thickness of Speedmaster vs. Flightmaster (They actually appear to be just about the same and wear almost identically).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great, congrats. The 910 case is slightly thinner than the 911 but sits level in overall height due to the domed glass.
Thanks for the clarification. I notice the Flightmaster thickness is about equal to my Speedmaster. I thought the Flightmaster would be much bigger based on the photos, but it wears almost identically to my Speedmaster. It also feels much lighter than my Seamaster. I think this is largely because the Flightmaster has the 1116 band on it which feels far less substantial than the Seamaster band (especially the clasp mechanism).

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I think this is largely because the Flightmaster has the 1116 band on it
Isn't the 1116 a 20mm bracelet for the Speedy 321? I'm not aware of this being fitted to the 910/911.

Don't get me wrong, it looks stunning, especially the dial (wow). It would usually be originally fitted with a 22mm 1159 or 1162

·
Registered
875 Posts
It looks to be in stunning condition congrats!
Good to see some more flightys on the forum :-!

I think Jon is right about the bracelet. Mine has the 1159 but most FM:s seems to have the 1162

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My research indicated that an 1159 or 1162 should have been fitted. But the watch is 40 years old so who knows the full story. It has a 1116 on it now. I may buy one of the others to bring it back to original condition.

Another question for Flightmaster pros. The subdials are a brown color. Some people have said this would be due to fading or "rust". But honestly I've looked at them quite closely including under the photo magnification and the color is even and the numerals are all very crisp. I think this is the color the dial came but can anyone confirm? Every replacement dial I've seen has been black with black subdials. But this one is a dark gray with brown subdials. I've seen other versions that were very faded in person. But this one really doesn't look faded at all. The lume even still works if charged under a light. It may even work longer but I haven't tested it yet. In any case, the lume is very dim compared to my Seamaster and Speedmaster so the Tritium is nearly dead at this point.

Here are some magnified closeups of the subdials for your viewing pleasure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts