WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a cheap Omega Seamaster quartz parts watch (ended up paying like $35 for it). The watch uses a Omega 1315 movement which is looking like it will be quite difficult to source. I was wondering about getting another movement possibly an Omega 1310 or something else (ETA?, Ronda? which one of these might be nice as it would allow for easier replacement parts) to use instead. Which would of coarse make the watch a franken but I would never try to pass it off as an original and I know it wouldn't have much value.

What are your thoughts? And what movements might work?

I'd rather have a running working watch then a non-working one and I would also rather not buy another parts watch that could possibly be salvaged.

·
Registered
18,163 Posts
Cousins used to have a book on potential movement substitutions. Of course the book will probably cost you more than the watch! LOL

Generally ETA quartz movements are easy to replace with newer ETA quartz movements - they made them so. This caibre was actually made by Omega and is, itself, collectible. But finding a substitution may be harder. It might be repairable... almost all good quartz movements are. Usually it is cheaper to just replace with a substitute -- indeed, I see Swatch companies are now often just replacing mechanical movements instead of servicing them. Labor costs > wholesale cost of new movement. Such is life.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cousins used to have a book on potential movement substitutions. Of course the book will probably cost you more than the watch! LOL

Generally ETA quartz movements are easy to replace with newer ETA quartz movements - they made them so. This caibre was actually made by Omega and is, itself, collectible. But finding a substitution may be harder. It might be repairable... almost all good quartz movements are. Usually it is cheaper to just replace with a substitute -- indeed, I see Swatch companies are now often just replacing mechanical movements instead of servicing them. Labor costs > wholesale cost of new movement. Such is life.
I would consider repair if most of the movement was still there. Lol. I have access to a pretty decent 3d printer that I could use to make a movement holder. The problem is with two things. One finding a movement where the date lines up with the date window on the watch and two finding a movement which uses the same size hands.

Any idea of title of the book? It sounds very interesting.

·
Banned
4,045 Posts

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
It is a pdf file, do you have a pdf file reader like Adobe?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts