WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have recently started the rather expensive hobby of collecting watches. I recently purchased an Omega "Geneve" for £150, but I am struggling to find information on it's history, date of manufacture, provenance etc. The dealer was not much use either unfortunately. I have been told, however, that the italicized word "Geneve" means that it is one of the original Geneve's produced by Omega in the 1950's or 1960's. That is all I know about it.

Photo of watch attached. Not in mint condition, and the strap is new but the watch seems to keep perfect time after all these years.

Does anyone know much more about this watch? Any info would be very much appreciated.
Winchester-20111220-00084.jpg

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,638 Posts
You will want the serial numbers from inside the case if you want the definitive information and to confirm that it is still in its original condition. Photos help here a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your reply. I am so new to this that i dont know how to unscrew the back. Will go to a watch shop. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It is true that the script generally denotes the earlier generation of the Genève models. However, it is the manual wind versions that are the most sought after by collectors, as they were produced beginning in the early '50s, and were marketed (with their outstanding 30mm movements) as one of Omegas highest end models.

That being said, the automatics are also nice, and if your movement is in good condition, then you certainly obtained a nice watch for the money.

Cheers,

Tony C,

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread but I just got passed down this Omega and I have no idea about if it is original or not. Any ideas?? All I know is that it's 18k pink gold and has a cal. 268 movement.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,033 Posts
One would need to see far more detail (front closer up, back, insides.....) to be sure. If you were passed it down from a "reputable source" and you know that it has a Cal. 268, there is a high chance that it is all original, though.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Genève is not equal to Genève, to begin with. In the Fifties and early Sixties, "Genève" denoted a watch manufactured within the Geneva city limits, so they were quite exclusive. In the late Sixties and later, however, "Genève" became the "Budget" line of watches in the Omega range - for instance, the movements they were equipped with, were those that had been used in Seamasters for three to five years aleady. Also, the designers were given more of a free hand on these, so vivid colors and eye-catching case shapes are no unusual features, either.

Your watch seems to be from the late Fifties, early Sixties, so in all likelihood has been actually built at Geneva. Did you try to look it up in the Omega Vintage Database yet?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hello, I have recently started the rather expensive hobby of collecting watches. I recently purchased an Omega "Geneve" for £150, but I am struggling to find information on it's history, date of manufacture, provenance etc. The dealer was not much use either unfortunately. I have been told, however, that the italicized word "Geneve" means that it is one of the original Geneve's produced by Omega in the 1950's or 1960's. That is all I know about it.

Photo of watch attached. Not in mint condition, and the strap is new but the watch seems to keep perfect time after all these years.

Does anyone know much more about this watch? Any info would be very much appreciated.
View attachment 583348
Going to the OVDB I found this. It looks pretty similar. I have a vintage Seamaster with the same movement. Very nice classic piece. Enjoy it.

OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database

·
Premium Member
12,945 Posts
great watch

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
That is a nice vintage timepiece. Congrats

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi, I have managed to (with help) open the caseback...What I get from the movement and caseback are as follows...LC4048, Swiss 17 Jewels, Cal. 268. Serial No. 17410727. Which I can't seem to find on the database..? If you have any joy let me know! And I am very happy to know it could be exclusive..I don't know anything about these early pieces, but I must say it's got an almost pristine two-tone dial which you can't really appreciate from the lame picture! :) Many thanks for helping me out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of selling my 1959 Omega Geneve Automatic Calendar. Is there a place on this forum that you would recommend I create a listing? Also, any ideas as to how much this is worth?

It is an automatic with the 24 jewel .526 caliber movement in excellent condition keeping accurate time.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts