WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about a Rolex for a while. Something more midsize, ss, and with a date complication. The Datejust seems like a relatively unadorned piece that might be OK on a leather strap (I'm not that into bracelets, I wear my reduced speedy on a gator strap), and very affordable.

I came across this piece on the 'bay. Having a hard time deciding whether it's cool or hideous. Certainly different. Can some of you pros tell me what you think of this piece? I'd really appreciate it...

ROLEX BLACK DIAL 1600 LARGE RARE DATEJUST VINTAGE 1975 - eBay (item 130483544586 end time Feb-16-11 04:00:44 PST)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I own a SS ref 1600 datejust. I do like the watch in the link you provided -- I am a sucker for a black dial on a brown leather strap. Keep in mind the DJ is 36mm and might wear a little smaller on leather rather than a bracelet. The gold hands are a nice touch; very elegant.

Also, the 1600 does not have a quick set date feature. If you wear the watch infrequently, be prepared to turn the crown a LOT in order to set the correct date. For instance, if it's the 7th and the watch reads 14th, you will need to turn the crown approximately 168 revolutions to set the correct date. To avoid the stress on the crown (and hassle), I keep mine on a winder.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
The 1570 is a well-respected movement from all I've heard. I've got a 1560 which has been a workhorse. He says all original, but looks like to me there's been some parts replacement--not a problem unless you're a vintage purist. All in all, a nice watch.

Jeannie

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I use a winder as well, so setting date isn't a big deal. and watches that wear smaller are fine for me and my 6.75" round ballerina wrists.. thanks your reply and pic, very much appreciated.

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
What do you think has been replaced?
Nothing in particular. It just looks awfully clean for a 35 yo watch--particularly when compared to the case which doesn't show quite the same degree of maintenance--so I assumed someone had done some overhauling. I didn't mean to suggest anything major. Not sure when Rolex went with those red reversing wheels, so they may be correct for the watch. My 1560 didn't have them (though it does now), but it dates about a decade earllier.

Here's an interesting link to a watchmakers blog where he discusses Rolex calibres and mentions the 1570:

Tick Talk » The next generation of Rolex Calibers

Jeannie

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just fell in love with this watch. I'm not to familiar with vintage rolexs though. Can some one please help me with the highest price I should bid. I know value is really determined by how much I love the watch but I don't wanna over pay.
Thanks for the help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.