WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
𝒞 Ω ♛ ❀ ✠
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all...anybody else experience this?

Case back on the Speedmaster ck2998 pulsometer has the Hippocampus logo encircled with a sharp edge (see pics) and it’s irritating my wrist bone.

Had it on Omega rubber strap, steel bracelet, and leather strap...happens least on rubber when worn tight...but still irritates me. Love this watch but this is a deal breaker for me.

I’m think about putting a piece of tape there. Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
13,073 Posts
If it is uncomfortable, there are precisely 12 zillion other watches to choose from

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have 2 Omegas with hippocampus case backs and they don’t bother me. My Speedy MKII has a very pronounced engraving as well.

My suggestion is to wear it more often until it stops bothering you. You’ll either develop a callous or a higher tolerance for that type of pain.

But then again, I’m weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I believe my FOIS has the same case and case back and no issues for me. Worse case scenario I'd be happy to buy it off you to add to my speedy collection.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
NATO.

·
Registered
𝒞 Ω ♛ ❀ ✠
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nato? Nickel sensitivity? Had the watch around any weird chemicals?
No sensitivity and no weird chemicals. There‘s a sharp edge on the circle around the hippocampus that’s rubbing my wrist bone.

·
Registered
𝒞 Ω ♛ ❀ ✠
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe my FOIS has the same case and case back and no issues for me. Worse case scenario I'd be happy to buy it off you to add to my speedy collection.
Sure, make me an offer. Comes with original black leather strap, Omega rubber strap with deployant clasp, and Omega steel bracelet, box, papers. Watch head is mint.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have a FOIS. It doesn’t bother me but I can see how it could. I once saw an aftermarket clear case back for this. I though I saved the info I can’t find it. If you go on the omega forums you could find this info and it could be an option.

·
Registered
𝒞 Ω ♛ ❀ ✠
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a FOIS. It doesn’t bother me but I can see how it could. I once saw an aftermarket clear case back for this. I though I saved the info I can’t find it. If you go on the omega forums you could find this info and it could be an option.
Found it - thank you.

·
Registered
𝒞 Ω ♛ ❀ ✠
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wore my watches on NATO straps for most of my military career for functionality. But IMO NATO straps look terrible and make watches look cheap when compared to a metal bracelet or leather strap.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have literally the exact opposite problem as you. I can only wear omega’s with the hippocampus engraving and find the sapphire case backs extremely uncomfortable. I find that the engraving allows ventilation and moisture to escape. If it’s the outer edge that’s bothering you, try putting some 3m clear vinyl on the part that’s rubbing against the bony part of your wrist.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Any other suggestions?
If it is rubbing on your ulnar styloid process, you might be wearing watches too low on your arm. If you are convinced it is just the caseback on this watch, then you might be able to change it over for a smoother one, such as an exhibition caseback from another Speedmaster model.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I have first generation versions of the SMP and PO which both have hippocampus case backs but there‘s no sharp edge on those so it may be an issue with your particular watch or a ‘bad batch’ combined with the interaction with your anatomy and the position you like to wear your watch. I’d honestly be tempted to use a polishing mop on a Dremel and just very lightly soften that edge - assuming that you want to keep it and for it to wear comfortably? You could also consider selling and going for the sapphire sandwich speedy and leave the hippocampus behind?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same issue here with the Tokyo 2020 Speedy

I really have a hard time understanding how come Omega Desing Team didn’t see this. Whats the use of such a sharp edge? Cant be an element of Desing. This is really just bad Desing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts