WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Omega: How do I know if my watch is solid gold, or "gold filled" and what does that mean? (pictures)

Some adds say Solid Gold, others say gold filled. What is the difference and how can you tell? Here is mine, is it solid gold or plated?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Re: Omega: How do I know if my watch is solid gold, or "gold filled" and what does that mean? (pictu

Yours is 18K solid gold as can be seen by the .750 hallmark.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Re: Omega: How do I know if my watch is solid gold, or "gold filled" and what does that mean? (pictu

If you look inside the case back above the Omega logo, there is a small rectangle with [0,750] inside. That is a Swiss 18K (18/24 parts gold, or 75% fine) gold hallmark, as is the Queen's head just above it.

Always advisable to have a jeweler test the case if you are not sure.

Looks legit to me, but these are not clear photographs. Those hallmarks are very well-known and well faked.
gatorcpa

·
Registered
198 Posts

Best I can tell, the serial on the case back is "10696680", which I can't find on the omega database in any kind of combination. That would have confirmed it from source. An 8 digit ID doesn't seem right to me for a bumper, but I'm no expert.

In any case (no pun intended), that wasn't your question. There's a good explanation of what "Gold Filled" means here. It's generally regarded as a more desirable than "Gold Plated" since relatively the gold is quite a bit thicker, and less likely to wear through with age.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

The serial number won't show up on the Omega database, you need either the movement calibre number or the model number. In this particular case, I can't see the calibre number, but there are only a few bumper models, such as the 352, 354, etc. Search the OVD using movement numbers and type, as in the filters they provide therein. Hard to tell which from these pictures, I'm afraid.

And the model number is not shown; in this case, this is probably because it's a UK case, a Dennison I'd guess, and they aren't shown on the OVD (neither, for that matter, are other outside suppliers that Omega used from time to time, including suppliers from the USA and France… it's complicated).

Gold filled is not solid gold, nor is it gold plated, exactly. Have a read of this article. Anyway, as gator said, it's solid gold in this instance, which is clearly shown by the hallmark on the case back. If a case says "RG" that's rolled gold. If it says "GP," then that's gold plated. The differences are explained in my links and Thinkfloyd's. As gator says, if in doubt, have the metal tested by a jeweller; here it seems genuine, but the pictures don't show it well enough to know (and anyway, only first hand inspection can really prove or disprove the legitimacy).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Best I can tell, the serial on the case back is "10696680", which I can't find on the omega database in any kind of combination. That would have confirmed it from source. An 8 digit ID doesn't seem right to me for a bumper, but I'm no expert.

In any case (no pun intended), that wasn't your question. There's a good explanation of what "Gold Filled" means here. It's generally regarded as a more desirable than "Gold Plated" since relatively the gold is quite a bit thicker, and less likely to wear through with age.
I believe the serial number will not be in the Omega database as this is a 1945 model and the Omega database starts in 1946. In any case, I really appreciate all the help and advice, you guys are really great!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts

Serial numbers are NOT on the OVD. The OVD tells you about the various models. All the serial number databases (and those databases are not the same as the OVD…) tell you is when the movement was made. Yours dates from sometime around 1945/46. The Omega database has many models which pre-date 1946; I think you are confusing the OVD with something else. Follow the link through and you will find out more about your watch's movement if you hunt around, but you are unlikely to find your exact mvmt&case combo as the case was not made by Omega, rather it was commissioned by them, so…

I believe the serial number will not be in the Omega database as this is a 1945 model and the Omega database starts in 1946. In any case, I really appreciate all the help and advice, you guys are really great!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

Serial numbers are NOT on the OVD. The OVD tells you about the various models. All the serial number databases (and those databases are not the same as the OVD…) tell you is when the movement was made. Yours dates from sometime around 1945/46. The Omega database has many models which pre-date 1946; I think you are confusing the OVD with something else. Follow the link through and you will find out more about your watch's movement if you hunt around, but you are unlikely to find your exact mvmt&case combo as the case was not made by Omega, rather it was commissioned by them, so…

Yes! I see that! I did find it just searching with "1946" and click...click...click.... There it is! Or at least something damn close.

watch1.png

30 meters water resistance? No way. And a black band.... I have another picture of it with a light brown that I like much more.

watch3.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts