WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone know year and any othe information for thiw OMEGA?
Under the OMEGA what these jewdaw letters means?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
The watch was manufactured approximately in 1912, as indicated by the serial number. The movement looks like an Omega 19"'.
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 19'''
I know what a jackdaw is, but a jewdaw? I think you meant "Hebrew", as it is Hebrew script in there. What is written there, I don't know. Possibly made for an Omega retailer who marked dials in Hebrew script(which can be used for both Hebrew and Yiddish language)? A commemorative watch with a customized dial? You'll need to find someone who will read this for you- unless someone here can. Not me though.
All in all, it's an interesting pocket watch.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Those letters are not traditional hebrew letters. It may be a form of hebrew print from yiddish or some other group-perhaps a quasi-mystical group that used hebrew letters but I can only make out an aleph(A) and mem(M) and either 4 H's or 4 T's. Its an odd inscription for sure.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Meanwhile, I have found something. The engraving on the caseback- a crowned lion bearing a cruciform staff with banner- is an interesting thing.
A similar symbol appears on an Ethiopian coin:
CNG: Printed Auction Triton XIII. ETHIOPIA, Solomonic Dynasty. Menelik II. 1889-1913. AR Birr (28.07 g, 6h). Paris mint; Jean LaGrange, engraver general. Dated EE 1887 (AD 1894).
And it appears to be a version of the Lion of Judah:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_of_Judah
Whatever it stands for here, I couldn't find anything more. No idea. DaBaeker is right- it definitely isn't exactly Hebrew script. Truth be told, Hebrew was as close as my guess could get... Possibly a variation used by some minority? Dunno. The symbol in picture no.3 doesn't look familiar either.

Reactions: eri231

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help.I see that the lion is exactly like the ethiopian coins.
I look in Amharic letters if i found something.Thanks.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
This might help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amharic#Writing_system
Tried to read the inscription using that, but I'm getting lost. Besides, even if I would have succeeded, I seriously doubt that I could understand one bloody word of that.
So, it has much to do with Ethiopia...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts