WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the two biggest boom to Omega has been;
1) The James Bond franchise, and
2) the unwillingness or inability for Rolex to meet customer desires.

It would be a challenge to quantify or prioritize these two.

We were in Denver a couple of weeks ago, don't get to the big City very often, and went to one of the malls. There is a jewelry store called Hyde Park and they have split their watches into kind of boutique stores, Roles, Breitling and Omega. First was the Rolex store which had the most square footage, their display cases all had, don't remember the exact wording but "Not for sale - display model only". There was one sales associate and the obligatory non-smiling almost comatose guard (nothing to guard except for the plastic signs). We walked in and were the only ones there, the sales associate was in the back part and did respond with 'Hi', but that was it.

We then walked by the Breitling store and there were a few people in there, but I was on a mission to see an Omega Seamaster.

Entering the Omega store, there were three sales associates all helping people. We had to wait several minutes for one of the sales associates to complete their transaction. I wanted to look at the latest Seamaster to go with my Speedmaster and they were very helpful. While we were there besides the watch that I purchased they sold at least three more Omegas.

It got me thinking that Omega Management must go home every night thanking Rolex for failure to rise to the challenge. I don't think there could be anything more helpful to the sales of Omegas than what is happening with Rolex.

I'm at the point in my life I could acquire a Rolex but with the wait time involved, since I'm a more senior citizen, not sure I would have time to really enjoy it. Then again I really like the Omegas.

Here is the Seamaster that I purchased.

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
Congratulations; as a fellow senior I'm trying not to buy more expensive watches so I'm good with Rolex being hard to come by. At this point Omega isn't in my sites any more for multiple reasons. The really desirable ones are hard to come by and the less desirable ones tend to cost too much when resold.

Reactions: VictaDrappier

·
Registered
736 Posts
I think many watch brands are beginning to benefit from the Rolex shortage... anecdotal.

Between empty displays, 'relationship' building, crazy 2nd hand new watches at gray dealers.
Schtick gets old... spending money on unnecessary items is supposed to be a enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
9,279 Posts
Congrats! They're currently in a nice place indeed.

Reactions: Flash-BCR

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm sure Omega would be much happier in Rolex's shoes. One can only benefit from trickle down if someone is higher up to trickle down from. And Omega learned the hard way in the 50s and 60s that when someone says they want something, just give them that and don't bother to give them anything more.

Regardless, a new watch and good service is always worth a toast. 🍸

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I think the two biggest boom to Omega has been;
1) The James Bond franchise, and
2) the unwillingness or inability for Rolex to meet customer desires.

It would be a challenge to quantify or prioritize these two.

We were in Denver a couple of weeks ago, don't get to the big City very often, and went to one of the malls. There is a jewelry store called Hyde Park and they have split their watches into kind of boutique stores, Roles, Breitling and Omega. First was the Rolex store which had the most square footage, their display cases all had, don't remember the exact wording but "Not for sale - display model only". There was one sales associate and the obligatory non-smiling almost comatose guard (nothing to guard except for the plastic signs). We walked in and were the only ones there, the sales associate was in the back part and did respond with 'Hi', but that was it.

We then walked by the Breitling store and there were a few people in there, but I was on a mission to see an Omega Seamaster.

Entering the Omega store, there were three sales associates all helping people. We had to wait several minutes for one of the sales associates to complete their transaction. I wanted to look at the latest Seamaster to go with my Speedmaster and they were very helpful. While we were there besides the watch that I purchased they sold at least three more Omegas.

It got me thinking that Omega Management must go home every night thanking Rolex for failure to rise to the challenge. I don't think there could be anything more helpful to the sales of Omegas than what is happening with Rolex.

I'm at the point in my life I could acquire a Rolex but with the wait time involved, since I'm a more senior citizen, not sure I would have time to really enjoy it. Then again I really like the Omegas.

Here is the Seamaster that I purchased.
Congrats on the new purchase!! Beautiful watch choice.

I think you forget the whole Moon watch thingy
Hahah I was thinking the same thing

Reactions: RLS1851

·
Registered
758 Posts
Congrats on your Seamaster! I was in the same boat. Had I been able to walk into a store and buy a white dial Rolex Explorer II out of the case I would have done it. I might have even waited a short time for one to come in. But time was of the essence when it came to making a purchase, and I've always admired Omega watches on their own merits. Plus, I'm really turned off by the current situation with Rolex. I ended up purchasing one of my other dream watches, and I don't regret it one bit. Happy to be an Omega man (insert Charlton Heston joke here).

Watch Hand Analog watch Gesture Finger

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Wether the shortage is real or not with Rolex, I think both Breitling and Omega are enjoying the extra foot traffic. When a Rolex buyer gets tired of the games by not being able to walk in and buy the model the buyer wants, that leads to a sale for another Watch Company. Rolex are great Watches! Just to hard to get and then too expensive for me anymore. Vance.

Reactions: RLS1851 and TaxMan

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don’t think it’s the fact that Rolex is behind production. But more I people being on waiting lists. I know the new ad I’m with waiting on a 226570 said there 400 people waiting on a 126610LN. I’m one of 4 waiting on a polar explorer 2. So to say if I was able to at the beginning of last year walk in a get the explorer I wanted I would have never got my 2 omegas 2 tudors a Cartier and my wife grand seiko. I love all of my watches and am waiting for the day I get my explorer. It is nice being able to walk into an omega dealer and get any of there watches that day or by the end of the week.
There is coming a day Rolex will be as ap and patek are super exclusive and by then I hope the average person has the Rolex they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Congrats on your new Omega! That's a gorgeous piece and I'm a big fan of the coaxial. I think when choosing a watch you need to forget about the name on the dial and say to yourself 'Which is the one I actually prefer?' Looks like you've chosen well. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love Rolex but Omega is the shiz. I like being able to pick up a watch without waiting for months and also get a better price than MSRP.

I put down half a deposit on the newer 36mm DJ with the blue honeycomb dial as well as the fluted bezel, still nothing 6 months later and I just pulled my money out. The reason I had to leave it for that long is because I was told I had to wait 6 months before getting a full refund for it if I don't get the watch. After that fiasco I decided I will never do that again and will just put my name down on a list and wait for the call, I won't hold hope or kiss someone's ring for a watch. If I get the Explorer 36mm or Sub w/ date by them calling me that it's available cool but if not oh well.

Watch Analog watch Light Silver Clock
Rocking the datejust alternative and I don't regret it. With the money I saved on the single datejust, I bought this and plan on picking up the white dial seamaster diver 300.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Congrats on your Seamaster! Excellent model, that one. Fantastic movement - loads better than whatever Rolex can come up with.

Like others mentioned, the Moonwatch has been a steady winner for Omega but the Bond franchise did wonders for the entire Seamaster line, no doubt. From the SMP, PO to the AT. Heck, even the Seamaster 300 saw some sun in Spectre.

At any rate, all these models are so diverse and vastly different that you can have one from each series. Can't say the same for Rolex. Sub/GMT/SD, DJ/OP/DD/Exp - basically just derivative of 2 base designs. Of course you have the Daytona, YM, Exp2 - essentially just having 2 versions: old and new.

Rolex models are being hoarded like Patek and AP now. I can imagine how "fun" it must be for staff - who probably earn a bit from commission - to go weeks or months without a sale...

And here you have a store in the same mall with all the action...

·
Registered
736 Posts
I don’t think it’s the fact that Rolex is behind production. But more I people being on waiting lists.
👆. 10 years ago it was not a cool/hot brand. Most were complaining how dated they looked and what their parent's wore.. wouldn't be caught dead in one. Now it's THE watch brand to sport.

Reactions: RLS1851 and rand777
1 - 20 of 76 Posts