WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Congrats on your Seamaster! Excellent model, that one. Fantastic movement - loads better than whatever Rolex can come up with.

Like others mentioned, the Moonwatch has been a steady winner for Omega but the Bond franchise did wonders for the entire Seamaster line, no doubt. From the SMP, PO to the AT. Heck, even the Seamaster 300 saw some sun in Spectre.

At any rate, all these models are so diverse and vastly different that you can have one from each series. Can't say the same for Rolex. Sub/GMT/SD, DJ/OP/DD/Exp - basically just derivative of 2 base designs. Of course you have the Daytona, YM, Exp2 - essentially just having 2 versions: old and new.

Rolex models are being hoarded like Patek and AP now. I can imagine how "fun" it must be for staff - who probably earn a bit from commission - to go weeks or months without a sale...

And here you have a store in the same mall with all the action...

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Rolex generates about $8.5 billion in revenue annually; Omega about $3 billion. I’m sure the folks at Rolex are shaking in their diamond-encrusted boots. They’re both nice watches. If you like the one that’s more accessible and less expensive, seems to me that’s good all around.
Not sure if it's fair to compare an independent watchmaker to one that's under a conglomerate and may not be in full control over its direction and finances.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Congratulations, you picked up the best colour SMP :)

I often stop to look in the window of a local AD who deal in Breitling, Omega, Rolex and a couple of others. It's actually amusing to see a whole empty window display with a Rolex sign sitting proudly above - I'd be embarrassed to own a shop with no stock! I know, I know...Rolex fans will claim 'you just don't get it' and I suppose that's true in one sense...I won't be getting one simply because the other brands are happy to supply me with a watch. The crux is that life is far too short and I want to enjoy my watches now, not in 10yrs when some brand who excel at marketing above all else can be arsed selling me one. Thanks to Omega and Breitling for the years of enjoyment I have already had with their products.
I agree. For that model, Blue is the way to go.
Which way does that cut? On one hand, Omega is somewhere in the middle of the Swatch group brands in retail price - Breguet, Blancpain, Glashutte Original and a few others all tend to price higher. On the other, Omega is, unless I’m mistaken, the largest revenue generator among the group’s watch brands and benefits from greater advertising support than the others. Daniel Craig isn’t wearing a Fifty Fathoms in that movie…
That's the thing, swatch group decides on it's positioning within the umbrella. I don't think they want Omega to move beyond the middle. Who knows if it would've made more or less if it expanded or shifted up or down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts