WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Bond is nonsense - a lot of fuss over an imaginary character starring in a slew of largely mediocre and over-the-top films.

Now I do agree with you that Rolex's supply constraints have been a boon to Omega, though I'd also argue that Omega has been copying that playbook a bit by limiting availability of certain desirable pieces (e.g., Snoopy, 321, Apollo 8). But Omega also has the benefit of making some pretty substantial watches in their own right with a lot of history (e.g., Speedmaster). These pieces are every bit as good if not better than their competitors. I've considered that Seamaster 300 Diver that you purchased on more than one occasion, not least because it's a very good value proposition - the only thing that comes close to giving similar bang-for-buck is the Oris Aquis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Omega has always had their limited editions. In fact, having too many special editions is something that they often get criticized for. It's not a newly realized artificial scarcity - they just take risks more often than Rolex does, but do it on a small scale. Rolex is looking to go upscale with the current economic tide, and likewise, Omega is now trying to invade the space that Rolex is moving away from. While Rolex may not succeed in moving into the AP/PP/VC sphere (and really, they probably won't ever be recognized as being equal), Omega is cranking out some absolute home runs and is on a sustainable winning streak. The 2018+ Seamaster 300M is absolutely on par with the Submariner for thousands less. The Aqua Terra arguably has the Milgauss beat. The Speedmaster has more heritage than the Daytona, and the special editions are extremely hot. Get your Omega discounts while they last, because they will indeed have enough clout to tell their ADs to stop discounting in the next few years.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think many watch brands are beginning to benefit from the Rolex shortage... anecdotal.

Between empty displays, 'relationship' building, crazy 2nd hand new watches at gray dealers.
Schtick gets old... spending money on unnecessary items is supposed to be a enjoyable experience.
I really hope that Rolex realizes at some point they're shooting themselves in the foot but not making this situation better. Other brands get to build loyal customers. They're just assuming (and perhaps they have some smug justification to do so) that people will always flock to them no matter what.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Omega makes some great watches and are willing to take chances. I think it took the craziness in Rolex to get people to recognize this.

But these things are also cyclical. Omega used to rule the watch world. Then Rolex came to take the crown, so to speak. There was a time when Patek was in real trouble at some point and not close to the desirability they have now. AP was close to bankruptcy until Gerald Genta basically bailed them out (and they haven't been able to innovate since then). Anyway, it could be that Rolex shoots themselves in the foot with their unwillingness or inability to react to demand, but that's not going to happen overnight.

I am a very happy owner of 2 Omegas, and want to buy possibly 2 more if I can save up enough money.

I have no desire to get another Rolex after having to move the Sun and Moon and Heaven and Hell to get my current 126600, which is on the low end of the desirability scale. I could only imagine the pain and suffering it would take to get a Daytona or Pepsi GMT.

I am truly too old to be groveling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the two biggest boom to Omega has been;
1) The James Bond franchise, and
2) the unwillingness or inability for Rolex to meet customer desires.

It would be a challenge to quantify or prioritize these two.

We were in Denver a couple of weeks ago, don't get to the big City very often, and went to one of the malls. There is a jewelry store called Hyde Park and they have split their watches into kind of boutique stores, Roles, Breitling and Omega. First was the Rolex store which had the most square footage, their display cases all had, don't remember the exact wording but "Not for sale - display model only". There was one sales associate and the obligatory non-smiling almost comatose guard (nothing to guard except for the plastic signs). We walked in and were the only ones there, the sales associate was in the back part and did respond with 'Hi', but that was it.

We then walked by the Breitling store and there were a few people in there, but I was on a mission to see an Omega Seamaster.

Entering the Omega store, there were three sales associates all helping people. We had to wait several minutes for one of the sales associates to complete their transaction. I wanted to look at the latest Seamaster to go with my Speedmaster and they were very helpful. While we were there besides the watch that I purchased they sold at least three more Omegas.

It got me thinking that Omega Management must go home every night thanking Rolex for failure to rise to the challenge. I don't think there could be anything more helpful to the sales of Omegas than what is happening with Rolex.

I'm at the point in my life I could acquire a Rolex but with the wait time involved, since I'm a more senior citizen, not sure I would have time to really enjoy it. Then again I really like the Omegas.

Here is the Seamaster that I purchased.

View attachment 16254454
Hey op you couldn’t get a better dive watch. Love the smp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
I like this thread. I bought two iconic Omega watches in the last 30 days because I fell for the designs, love the movements that came with, and got treated very well at both the Boutique and another brick and mortar AD during the process. I couldn’t be happier and I know these will wear and age very very well.
Watch Analog watch Everyday carry Clock Rectangle

·
Registered
427 Posts
It got me thinking that Omega Management must go home every night thanking Rolex for failure to rise to the challenge. I don't think there could be anything more helpful to the sales of Omegas than what is happening with Rolex.
The oft quoted numbers I see say that Rolex controls 25% of the watch market by revenue, and produces a bit under a million watches a year. Meanwhile, Omega earns less than half the revenue, and produces a bit over half the number of watches. Rolex is selling watches hand over fist without any of them hitting the cases. They're hardly crying themselves to sleep. Yeah, their boutiques look moribund, but that's hardly the problem it looks like to Rolex HQ. Yes, Rolex is helping Omega, but only because a rising tide lifts all boats, and Rolex is such a behemoth that they can drive the whole market.

For the record, I'm no Rolex fan boy, am far more likely to buy an Omega than a Rolex, 'cause I'm with you that a lively and active retail experience, with something you can actually buy, is a whole lot more pleasant than empty cases and playing games with the AD and the grey market. But Rolex is above all of that. It's clear who's winning the game.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Omega has always had their limited editions. In fact, having too many special editions is something that they often get criticized for. It's not a newly realized artificial scarcity - they just take risks more often than Rolex does, but do it on a small scale.
True, but their risks have been paying off as of late, and that's been driving up their business. The 321 and Silver Snoopy have generated a lot of positive buzz for the brand.

Rolex is looking to go upscale with the current economic tide, and likewise, Omega is now trying to invade the space that Rolex is moving away from. While Rolex may not succeed in moving into the AP/PP/VC sphere (and really, they probably won't ever be recognized as being equal), Omega is cranking out some absolute home runs and is on a sustainable winning streak.
From a horological perspective, I think Omega is probably more deserving of joining those "top tier" brands than Rolex for exactly the reason you state - they take risks. Add to that some significant technical capability and you end up seeing pieces that are far more interesting and complex than what you typically find among Rolexes. Omega is also very happy to show you the movement, either through interesting skeletonizations like the Apollo 8, or through the many display case backs they have on offer.

The 2018+ Seamaster 300M is absolutely on par with the Submariner for thousands less. The Aqua Terra arguably has the Milgauss beat. The Speedmaster has more heritage than the Daytona, and the special editions are extremely hot. Get your Omega discounts while they last, because they will indeed have enough clout to tell their ADs to stop discounting in the next few years.
1. The Seamaster 300M is a superb piece, and I agree that it is very much on par with the Submariner. If only they hadn't gotten rid of the ceramic "liquid metal" bezels...
2. I really don't like the Aqua Terra, and absolutely love the Milgauss.
3. Speedmaster has more heritage but the Daytona is a little more convenient (automatic, and much nicer to wind if you want to do it), durable (100M water resistance, ceramic bezel), and practical (40mm vs. 42mm). That said, I do love my Speedmaster.
4. Discounts are pretty tough to get now - certainly hard to get anything more than 10% from boutiques, or 15% from dealers. And that's only for certain pieces no less.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Congratulations; as a fellow senior I'm trying not to buy more expensive watches so I'm good with Rolex being hard to come by. At this point Omega isn't in my sites any more for multiple reasons. The really desirable ones are hard to come by and the less desirable ones tend to cost too much when resold.
you should be buying for keeps

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
you should be buying for keeps
You shouldn't be telling me what to do with my money or my watches; that's totally my decision.

• Haha
Reactions: JJ312

·
Registered
600 Posts
Honestly I think both brands probably produce great watches. Omega is kind of picking up the rest of the market share that Rolex is 'letting go' in order to maintain a steady profit which business wise is clever.
And Rolex making more profit than Omega every year speaks for itself. Not bashing anything or any brand here, just stating my observations.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Rolex generates about $8.5 billion in revenue annually; Omega about $3 billion. I’m sure the folks at Rolex are shaking in their diamond-encrusted boots. They’re both nice watches. If you like the one that’s more accessible and less expensive, seems to me that’s good all around.

·
Premium Member
Rolex MG Green/Black, DSSD JC, SD43 Mk I, PAM176, 1305, 778, Omega PP, SeaMaster300, MoonPhase
1,877 Posts
AD has no Rolexes but I WAS able to get the new Bond Seamaster, PloProf, Moonphase, and SMP300M White. Great movements, designs...I am very pleased.

Reactions: domayotte

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Rolex generates about $8.5 billion in revenue annually; Omega about $3 billion. I’m sure the folks at Rolex are shaking in their diamond-encrusted boots. They’re both nice watches. If you like the one that’s more accessible and less expensive, seems to me that’s good all around.
Not sure if it's fair to compare an independent watchmaker to one that's under a conglomerate and may not be in full control over its direction and finances.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bond is nonsense - a lot of fuss over an imaginary character starring in a slew of largely mediocre and over-the-top films.
You and I think alike- that franchise ran its course years ago. And the Bond thing (or man on the moon for that matter) definitely do not inspire me to buy a watch.

Having said that, I like Omega and have two. They're very nice watches.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts