WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I think you forget the whole Moon watch thingy
You know you are absolutely correct. The Omega Moon watch was my second Omega and I remember watching the TV with my Dad with the original lunar landing, what a great day that was. I don't think the younger people realize the importance that event or the Apollo 13 story. Certainly other current events are much more in everyone's thoughts.

My first Omega was a previously owned one. My father owned a service station and I started working there as a kid. Some times some one needed a little gas to get home and did not have ready cash with them so they would leave some kind of collateral. Well someone left this Omega and after a few weeks it became my first watch. It went through high school and college, was well lubricated by several oil baths and occasionally cleaned by a dose of gasoline. It was finally retired when I got married and my wife bought me a new watch. I don't know the model or what ever happened to the watch. It was a wind up type and I remember the Omega symbol. The Moon watch is the bomb.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You got that right! I don't like working so hard to spend my money. Haha...

Between empty displays, 'relationship' building, crazy 2nd hand new watches at gray dealers.
Schtick gets old... spending money on unnecessary items is supposed to be a enjoyable experience.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
First of all, congratulations on your new watch.
... and then: What makes you think Rolex would not be up to the challenge?
The Geneva-based watchmakers are probably the only ones who can sell almost their entire production without discount, while Omega always offers a 10 to 20% discount. Those in charge at Rolex have succeeded in creating a veritable myth around the brand. Every Rolex Sport model launched, no matter how ugly it is, immediately becomes a best seller, the brand is known even among non-watch nerds and everyone wants one. Rolex had a global market share of 24.9% in classic wristwatches, Omega "only" 8.8% by comparison.
Of course, the Geneva-based company could ramp up production and sell many more watches, the only question is at what price. Will the hype around the brand continue if everyone who wants one gets one right away? Will prices then remain stable?
I think Rolex is doing everything completely right.
Exactly. Rolex are the masters of marketing, right up there with the likes of Apple. Product-wise alone, there's definitely room for debate about their place. I doubt Omega are complaining about their measly 8.8% of the global market too much. That's still impressive numbers.

Why should I waste 10yrs waiting for the dubious privilege of wearing a common watch (mugger magnet) and jumping through the AD hoops of having to be vetted and given permission to buy a Rolex watch? Sheep can continue to do that. In the meantime, I can wear my Omega and Breitling (pick any other brand) models today and enjoy them immensely.

·
Registered
348 Posts
One thing I really appreciate about the current Rolex bubble is how it keeps the Chinese counterfeiters busy.

No one has ever asked me if my Omega Railmaster is real, and I doubt anyone ever wondered. The counterfeiters are surely capable of faking other brands expertly, but the Rolex market is so crazy, why bother? I've seen (virtually) a pretty good Seamaster 300M fake, but that was a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure Rolex now sucks most of the air out of the counterfeit market.

So thank you Rolex. And thank you Rolex owners, who absorb the oft-unspoken but very common question in people's minds, "Is that watch fake?" so I don't have to.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Congratulations, you picked up the best colour SMP :)

I often stop to look in the window of a local AD who deal in Breitling, Omega, Rolex and a couple of others. It's actually amusing to see a whole empty window display with a Rolex sign sitting proudly above - I'd be embarrassed to own a shop with no stock! I know, I know...Rolex fans will claim 'you just don't get it' and I suppose that's true in one sense...I won't be getting one simply because the other brands are happy to supply me with a watch. The crux is that life is far too short and I want to enjoy my watches now, not in 10yrs when some brand who excel at marketing above all else can be arsed selling me one. Thanks to Omega and Breitling for the years of enjoyment I have already had with their products.
I agree. For that model, Blue is the way to go.
Which way does that cut? On one hand, Omega is somewhere in the middle of the Swatch group brands in retail price - Breguet, Blancpain, Glashutte Original and a few others all tend to price higher. On the other, Omega is, unless I’m mistaken, the largest revenue generator among the group’s watch brands and benefits from greater advertising support than the others. Daniel Craig isn’t wearing a Fifty Fathoms in that movie…
That's the thing, swatch group decides on it's positioning within the umbrella. I don't think they want Omega to move beyond the middle. Who knows if it would've made more or less if it expanded or shifted up or down.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Damn those... movies, with their... imaginary characters, ugh!

Aye, total failure again
I don’t think I ever accused the Bond movies of being financial failures. I accused them of being mediocre and over-the-top. I stand by that opinion. You’re entitled to yours.

And as for imaginary characters, if wearing the same watch as an fictional, emotionally unavailable secret agent who everyone in the movie seems to know by name floats your boat, more power to you. But I don’t think the bond connection is what is keeping Omega competitive. I for one can’t imagine being attracted to buying something just because James Bond, Luke Skywalker, or Clifford the Big Red Dog featured it as a product placement. I expect I am not alone.

Imagine if Omega was a relatively new company that made crap watches that Bond producers at some point saw fit to adorn Daniel Craig or Pierce Brosnan with. Would that advance the Omega brand? Would that make Omega a serious competitor to Rolex? What if Bond (like real secret agents or special forces operators) wore something more akin to a G-shock or Garmin? Would that meaningfully advance the fortunes of Casio or G-Shock?

I doubt it. There may be some impact but nothing to build a long-term business on.

·
Registered
348 Posts
What if Bond (like real secret agents or special forces operators) wore something more akin to a G-shock or Garmin? Would that meaningfully advance the fortunes of Casio or G-Shock?
Yes, there would be a bump in sales. Look at the Casio Royale. That's how advertising works. Edifice sponsors Alpha Tauri's F1 teams, and the two drivers wear their Edifice watches at press events. It works. If it didn't work, companies wouldn't pay for product placement and sports sponsorships.

I do understand your point that you are immune to advertising or product placement and hold it in disdain. But you aren't most people. And I'm sorry you don't like James Bond movies, but the box office numbers demonstrate that you are in a decided minority on that point as well.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Congrats on your Seamaster! I was in the same boat. Had I been able to walk into a store and buy a white dial Rolex Explorer II out of the case I would have done it. I might have even waited a short time for one to come in. But time was of the essence when it came to making a purchase, and I've always admired Omega watches on their own merits. Plus, I'm really turned off by the current situation with Rolex. I ended up purchasing one of my other dream watches, and I don't regret it one bit. Happy to be an Omega man (insert Charlton Heston joke here).

View attachment 16254590
What reference is this? First speedy I've seen that I like, with a date (which I need). Thanks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Reactions: aaceofspades

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
I think the two biggest boom to Omega has been;
1) The James Bond franchise, and
2) the unwillingness or inability for Rolex to meet customer desires.
I'm an Omega fan also, owning a Seamaster Planet Ocean. That said, your point about Rolex's inability to meet customer desires is debatable, given they sell more watches than any other Swiss mechanical brand by a longshot. And, given their insane pricing on the gray market, demand seems to be pretty strong. I would agree that Omega is more available at an AD than Rolex. Rolex is most certainly available - just at grossly inflated prices via the GM.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts