WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking for a 1971 Birth Year watch(I had no idea other people actually did that until I started researching the one I bought), I saw a watch on EBAY that popped out at me . It was a 1971 Geneve. It fashionably screamed 1970s with white hands and a blue dial. The Ebay add was very descriptive and honest about the watches faults.

I loved the watch when it arrived. But then as I looked further into I started to worry about a few things. One was that it was a 1480 movement but their was only one watch in the entire Omega database with a 1480 movement and this one wasn't it. This watch was supposed to use the 1481. I have found other watches for sale not listed in the database also using the 1480 so I am wondering if maybe the database isn't 100%. Likewise the hands seem different then a lot of the others listed as 1971 Geneves online. This watch has one area on open rectangular area on each hand where many others have two separate sections.

Another question is the word Automatic just under Omega on the dial. The letter M has vertical sides as apposed to the slanting sides of the M in the Omega. At first I thought this was a dead giveaway of a fake but I have found a good many Geneve watches with the same M. It also appears to be identical in shape to the M in Swiss Made at the bottom of most of the Omega watches I've seen. I worry that it is either a fake or the Automatic was added to the dial when it was restored. However I have found a very similar dial setup with the same face / hands setup and the same straight sided M in automatic. While I have found a half dozen or so other darker faced Omega watches with the suspect M none were close to the model I bought. The other one on EBAY was not restored and showed some age so now I am wondering maybe the one I bought isn't a fake or if it was a fake it would have had to be at least a vintage fake. The original images from my Geneve on EBAY are mostly gone except for an EBAY.UK page that shows the thumbnail and has a complete description:

1971 vintage OMEGA Geneve cal1480 automatic watch (339) | eBay

The recent listing which is a very similar dial is here:
Omega Geneve Calendar Original Blue Dial Stainless Steel Automatic | eBay

What I am hoping for here is some reassurance on the 1480 (I'd rather have the correct movement in the watch if the watch is authentic) and some opinions on that M.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Regarding the ' M '. The watch has a refinished dial. That is listed in the description as restored BUT means the dial has been repainted. This will explain why the font on the dial does not look factory....because it is not.
The movement issue is more vague. The 1481 would be correct according to the vintage omega database but that information is notorious for being incomplete. The 1480 may also be correct or the movement could have been replaced over the years with one that was close and fit correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for replying. This is my first automatic watch. I wanted something more then a quartz run of the mill. I like the idea of the craftsmanship and design and little gears spinning. I bought the tool to open the watch and look inside. Everything is clean and looks authentic and as advertised. The date function is rather annoying.

After looking at the case back. I figured out the extra zero in the number 166.0098 helped identify it on the database. The EBAY add listed it as 166.098. It definitely matches my birth year. It is still listed as 1481 though. Good news is that once I started wearing it daily it started working well. The refinished dial makes me more likely to wear it because it isn't so original I have to worry about damaging it. And keeps time better then the quartz Skagan I bought in 2001 that I recently stopped wearing after it failed a seal test.

Regarding the "M" Ive seen the same thing on a lot of Omega's Geneves. I have also seen places claiming to be Omega repair shops selling new replacement dials with the same "M". I wonder if I sent it to Omega for a service if I would get at least the same color dial if they replaced it.

I like the smaller size too. Some Automatics look like you'd be tying a brick to your arm. I might look for something just a tad bigger for the next purchase because my eyes don't work as well as they used to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts