WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello respected watch-philes...

I've been reading quite a bit about the 1940s Omega Officer watch which appears to have been sold largely to Sweden during WWII (like the Suveran). I did this research because I stumbled across one at a very local, small and kinda sketchy antique place in Kowloon, Hong Kong. I checked this watch out with great doubt, but it appeared real and running - I plan to return tomorrow to photograph it and pull the serial number.

I found this photograph online of a similar watch and wanted to get an idea of what would be a reasonable price to pay. The Chinese gentleman selling the watch immediately took me for a Gweilo (foreigner which I am) and offered me a very high price.

I'm a history lover and think this watch would make an interesting collectors piece but I dont want to get taken for a ride.

Any advice or comments are appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
They indeed have an interesting history, having only been sold in Sweden during the war with a certain percentage from the selling price went to finance the military. Other than that they are not really special (at least to me). Their size is quite small even compared to vintage Omegas and their movement is the 15-jewel, sub-second 26,5 T3 PC. Price-wise I saw them advertised for very optimistic $800-900+ but in reality a fairly preserved piece can be picked up for pretty much half of this price. They are a bit rare though.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blaise - that is interesting about only being sold in Sweden yet showing up in a very small shop in the middle of a Triad controlled section of Kowloon.

$800-900 is quite a bit higher that I was thinking - I am going to try to get the watch for around USD 250.

I like the idea of it being a bit rare - I've only been able to find that one picture of a silver faced Omega Officer watch - there seems to be a ton of darker faced ones.

Thanks again for the help on the price point - if anyone else has seen them listed, please let me know...I cannot find on on eBay or anything else right now.

More to come tomorrow!!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Try and search on ebay.se There are some listed there, for a hefty price though...

There was a thread on this very forum about these watches not too long ago. Search the forum and you might end up some results.

Sent from my phone using Forum Runner

·
Registered
586 Posts
There was two special models that where only sold in Sweden - Officer and Suverän. Both are nice but I think the Suverän fits better these days. It's 35 mm instead of 32 and most of the have a more interesting case back.

If you want to find them, check out Kaplans Auktioner - Förstasidan which is an auction house that sell these frequently. In fact, there are at least one for sale at tomorrows auction. You can also check out Sweden's version of ebay, tradera.com (owned by ebay).

Also, check out

https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/new-omega-suver%E4n-851199.html
http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-677/pi-5773618/ti-850568/s-0/
The Omega Suveran: A Cash Cow for the Swedish Government In the 1940s — HODINKEE - Wristwatch News, Reviews, & Original Stories

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice gents - I'll be heading across the Harbour again in a few hours and will post some pictures and an update on my plans later today.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I went back today to check out the Officer watch - its in pretty good shape and the serial number appears to validate its date....so i'm doubtful that its a fake or counterfeit.

I negiotiated with the gentleman for a few minutes, but he stuck hard to his price of USD 450 (for just the watch - no strap).

This seems a bit too high to me - does anyone have any thoughts on that price? Again its in good shape - not great...about the same as the picture I posted above.

Also, if anyone is interested there is an Omega Electronic F300hz Seamaster available as well!

Thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
So I went back today to check out the Officer watch - its in pretty good shape and the serial number appears to validate its date....so i'm doubtful that its a fake or counterfeit.

I negiotiated with the gentleman for a few minutes, but he stuck hard to his price of USD 450 (for just the watch - no strap).

This seems a bit too high to me - does anyone have any thoughts on that price? Again its in good shape - not great...about the same as the picture I posted above.

Also, if anyone is interested there is an Omega Electronic F300hz Seamaster available as well!

Thanks!
450 is a little high, but not much. To be honest, 450 isn't a lot for a vintage Omega in decent condition that also has some history to it.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with it. The price is not that good (bad sign #1) and the vendor is not willing to play his part and discount even the tiniest bit (bad sign #2) not to mention that he's not even a reputable one (bad sign #3).

I'd look for a better/cheaper/trusted piece instead. But it's just me, I could be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts