WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking you folks because I trust your judgement as Omgea owners. I have the Seamaster GMT. It was a huge purchase for a poor collector. I have managed to save up about 700.00 over the last year.

Now its burning a hole in my poket for another watch(s). I wanted to get something nice but to replace the Seamaster from my daily abuse when doing abusive work. I bought a Tag F1 chrono...took it back after it quit within 48 hrs. Tag did not make a good impression on me as you people said...so I was wrong and you all were right.

Now what?...It needs to be 200m and I like dive watches, no chronographs, too busy for my taste. An serious suggestions? I doubt I could save enough for another Seamaster anytime soon and then I would still not want to beat it up either, but I may. I do like an automatic and the bracelet over a strap.

Thanks Omega Crew!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm asking you folks because I trust your judgement as Omgea owners. I have the Seamaster GMT. It was a huge purchase for a poor collector. I have managed to save up about 700.00 over the last year.

Now its burning a hole in my poket for another watch(s). I wanted to get something nice but to replace the Seamaster from my daily abuse when doing abusive work. I bought a Tag F1 chrono...took it back after it quit within 48 hrs. Tag did not make a good impression on me as you people said...so I was wrong and you all were right.

Now what?...It needs to be 200m and I like dive watches, no chronographs, too busy for my taste. An serious suggestions? I doubt I could save enough for another Seamaster anytime soon and then I would still not want to beat it up either, but I may. I do like an automatic and the bracelet over a strap.

Thanks Omega Crew!
seiko do a great range of divers. their unbeatable value and i'm sure you'd be delighted. my brother still wears a seiko chrono despite owning a breitling aerospace.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
My watchmaker hates the quality of Seiko movements these days (except for the high-dollar models like spring wind, etc.), but my personal hit is that they are great values for the $$.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Friend of mine recently picked up a Seiko pepsi diver, day date, auto, SKX 175, very comfortable bracelet, around $220 - Really likes it. Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
My watchmaker hates the quality of Seiko movements these days (except for the high-dollar models like spring wind, etc.), but my personal hit is that they are great values for the $$.
i can't speak for the autos but my brother's quartz is still going fine after 10 years with only 2 battery changes. i can also state that the seiko he had before that was also a quartz and when i removed the battery, also after 10 years (i don't know when it failed), it hadn't leaked at all. it was a seiko battery too. new seiko battery (£2.50) and it works fine.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
+1 on that suggestion. And I'll throw Citizen into the mix, too. Any number of watches from these two companies will be more than adequate.

All the best,

Alex

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Seiko quartz movements used to be top-notch - metal and screws for movements. Now it's plastic and rivets.

Citizen is good -my watchmaker says far better than same priced Seikos.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Seiko quartz movements used to be top-notch - metal and screws for movements. Now it's plastic and rivets.

Citizen is good -my watchmaker says far better than same priced Seikos.
plastic is a perfectly good material if used appropriately. i guess the rivits just indicate that there is nothing economically serviceable.

for what it's worth, i'll recount a tale about a car door central locking motor. there were three cogs gearing down the final drive from the electric motor to the plunger. the first was aluminum. the second and third were integrated and nylon. the motor jammed. the aluminum cog had worn down so the teeth were razor sharp and were digging into the nylon. the nylon cog teeth were unworn.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the Pepsi ato diver I got in 1985, it was my first atuo for a long time, but it no longer has any lume to it. I thought I liked Citizens but have gone through two Citizen divers in about 10 months a SS and a Titanium...I was thinking about another Seiko Auto or Kinetic Diver. Somone else said Hamilton and I found one a kahki chrono auto SS white face, but it was 700.00 and only 100m.

BTW I am learning as I go( you guys are great)and although most don't understand it that I have 12+ watches i still want something new. I have already passed several on to my oldest son who shares my fascination. Unfortunatly he is also hard on watches.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Have you seen this quartz movement from Seiko?

I don't see any plastic in this one...quite possibly the best quartz movement in the market place, in terms of finishing. In fact, many of Seiko's quartz movements are finished to a similar (all be it slightly lower standard) to this one. The 9F is found in this model...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about the Tissot Seastar 1000 Auto; blue w/ss ???
Would that be OK? Again i know its not an Omega, but what do you guys think? its 400.00 shipping.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
What about the Tissot Seastar 1000 Auto; blue w/ss ???
Would that be OK? Again i know its not an Omega, but what do you guys think? its 400.00 shipping.
i have a tissot titanium seven and my mum has a ladies tissot seastar. the quality seems OK to me and it certainly should be a cut above some of the more economical options.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You all know what's going to happen...I'll get discouraged and say forget it and keep saving for another Omega...lol...problem is they seem to be outpacing my spending cash before I can ever save up enough...lol

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
You all know what's going to happen...I'll get discouraged and say forget it and keep saving for another Omega...lol...problem is they seem to be outpacing my spending cash before I can ever save up enough...lol
perhaps you should look for a good second hand omega. that's possibly the best of both worlds. not necessarily mint condition and not as expensive either.

most of my watches are pre-owned. i couldn't afford them if they were all new. also, many of the ones i like are no longer available new. i have now decided that if i get any more i'm going to flip the some of less desirable ones. i'm eyeing a number of possible purchases at the moment.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I'm leary of that and have no idea where to look? ebay?
i've bought most of my waches on eBay. but i've been stung there repeatedly on watch parts. eBay is fine if you know what to look for. if i were you, i'd start with the 'for sale' section of this forum and, dare i say it, timezone. also, many ADs have second hand watches at fairly reasonable prices. it's really a matter of putting in the time to find the right deal.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We have one local dealer in a city of 300K, so I might start there, I just have to clam down and look for something I really want, because its a want; not a need, now I have to convience myself.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
We have one local dealer in a city of 300K, so I might start there, I just have to clam down and look for something I really want, because its a want; not a need, now I have to convience myself.
if you keep your eyes open you'll certainly find something. as a general rule of thumb don't be too keen. there are only a couple a deals i regret not closing and both were on vintage watches. also, if you decide you don't want to buy then don't look because there will always be something to spend your money on.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I am in the same boat,,, I have a new SMP, , and I also have a nice Raymond Weil W1..

But I am thinking a Hamilton, Oris or Tissot, as these can be found in Australia for around $600. I think I would prefer these to a seiko, citizen etc etc.

AC/DC

1 - 20 of 28 Posts