WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am on the verge of purchasing an Omega Planet Ocean and am faced with deciding whether to go with the 42mm case or the 45.5mm case.

I have fairly large wrists (about 7.75") and regularly wear other watches in the 44-45mm range (e.g. - Doxa SUB 5000T, Oris Williams F1 chrono, Zixen Trimix 1000m GMT). I also regularly wear smaller 42-43mm cases (e.g. - AirNautic Early Bird, Steinhart Ocean 1, Ebel 1911 Discovery chrono, Zenith Defy Classic Aero).

Omegas have more rounded and cushioned cases. This is something I think might be a mitigating factor in "shrinking" the appearance of the 45.5mm case - the domed crystal, sloped bezel, "twisted" case.

Obviously, I am going to drop some considerable coin on one of these watches. One fear is that I will get the 42mm and it will seem too small (I already have a SMP 300m which I rarely wear because it seems small compared to my other watches). The other fear is that the 45.5mm will be so big it will look "cartoonish" (think Flavor Flav on your wrist). I have bought - and flipped - watches in the 46-48mm range for just that reason. The 45mm limit that I have imposed on myself has worked well and ... well, 45.5mm is larger than 45mm.

Another concern would be a big disparity in the L2L length between the 42mm and the 45.5mm PO. Again, Omegas tend to bend the lugs down more for a more contoured fit, but I still seek to keep the L2L below 52mm. If the taper is more pronounced, I can live with up to 54mm.

So, to those of you who have bought a PO for yourself and wrestled with this same dilemma, I would like to know which watch you wound up with and why.

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
604 Posts
Re: Omega Planet Ocean: 42mm or 45.5mm?

I do not currently have a PO... but did and regret selling it. I also have a 7-3/4" wrist and the 45.5mm case was Fantastic!! I'm quite sure the 42mm would not have suited me at all. My watch flavors of choice right now are my Sinn U2, Doxa 750T GMT and currently wearing my Anonimo Polluce... So 44-47 are my size of choice. I do on occasion wear my 47MM MM20 and it's about as large as I'd go.

Another factor at least for me is how Tall a case sits on my wrist. If it is to 'top heavy' they also don't get any wrist time. The PO 45.5mm case is a really nice overall size and case design to me. If you are able to try them on at a dealer then that would be optimal, but my vote is for the 45.5mm.

·
Registered
767 Posts

I just bought the 45.5mm PO - I have 7-1/2" wrists - at 6' 215lbs I could not be happier with the size choice. It is not clownish by any means. Actually, when I first opened the box, I had to make sure it really was the 45.5 and not the 42m -

I have owned large watches: Doxa 750t, JSAR, Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro, Nauticfish 1000, Ball Aviator - This watch doesn't sit nearly as tall (at least by perception) as the JSAR or Nauticfish. In my opinion it is a perfect size. I would have been disappointed if it were smaller. It does feel substantial on the wrist, which is something that I prefer.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts

IMG_0305.jpg IMG_0206.jpg I think you already answered you own question! You said you hardly ever wear your SMP because of the smallish size!! I have the 45.5mm PO and my wrist is about 6.75" and it fits and wears GREAT!! Go for the BIG boy, you won't be disappointed!

I recently traded my SMP 2254 because of the same reason, after I got the PO I NEVER wore it!!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts

I own the 45.5 and it is AMAZING! I get more compliments on this watch than most of my Collection! I have smaller Wrists than you and I tried on both and the larger size is just more watch for the money and wears nicely. Will probably look even better on your wrists! :) Post pics!!

·
Registered
4,796 Posts

I don't actually own one, but I would definitely go with the 45,5mm with your wrist!!! And do you really care about the extra 0,5mm!??

·
Registered
801 Posts

It sounds like the 45.5 would be better for you if you think your SMP is smallish. The PO 45.5 doesn't look that large in person, to me at least, although I think the 42 has better proportions and looks better, when compared side by side. But both are great looking watches.

·
Registered
10,604 Posts

I don't think the 45.5 is cartoonish at all, especially compared to some of the huge watches that are popular around here. I ended up going with the 42 myself, because on my 7" wrist the 45.5 just never sat right. It was great with a strap, but I'm a bracelet guy and that just didn't work. I've got other watches that are even larger, but they have more of a curve to them while the PO is very flat on the bottom. FWIW, there have been many times when someone has commented on how big my watch is, despite the fact that around here some consider 42mm to be tiny. Perceptions of watch size are somewhat warped in the DWF... :-d

·
Registered
907 Posts

Go for the 45.5mm. It is a fantastic watch that would be a travesty if you didn't wear it simply because of the size. My wrist is just a hair over 7" and I love my 42mm, but I think you'd be happiest with the larger one for your wrist size and preference. So short answer, sell me your SMP and get the 45.5!

·
Banned
248 Posts

I would opt for the 42 mm one; sure, the trend right now is for big divers but if you plan (which I guess you do with that caliber of watch) to keep it for a long time you want something that will stand the test of time. Also, if you plan to use it as a "dress" diver the 42 mm seems a better choice. And remember, just a few years ago a 42 mm watch was considered a big watch...
Skane

·
Registered
215 Posts

I didn't even consider the 42 mm. I have an 8 inch wrist. The watch is not at all overly large it sits nicely on the wrist. I was somewhat surprised that the 45.5 actually still accommodated my dress shirts. Fantastic watch.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts

I had the 42mm and I sold it. I should have bought the 45. I'm 6-2 220 but have rather ordinary wrists at 7.25". The dial opening on the PO is smaller than you think. At the time I had the PO I also owned a Seamaster and the surface area of the dial on the Seamaster seemed larger. I would definitely get the 45. There are a couple of very long threads on this over at the Omega forum. Several years old, but still relevant

·
Registered
764 Posts

I bought the 45.5mm last month after trying them both on. My wrist is over 8" and the 42mm was just too small. I also echo G&T's comments, as I've worn it under dress shirts and suits without issues.

·
Registered
735 Posts

I would have to agree with most who have responded.
The 45.5 PO does not really wear big, and you have also indicated a large wrist size, so it seems to be a natural fit so to speak.
I would like to throw out two different ideas though. First, the smaller PO wears like a classic 14060M sub to me, which is a really great fit. I am trying to expand my preferences beyond the large (44mm-47mm) even though I do prefer them. I think having a smaller piece can be a good thing if you'll find the occasion to wear something smaller, or if you are open to that kind of variety in your collection. So if you are looking for something more formal/classic then go for the smaller one.
Secondly, if you are after more of the "toolish" diver then go big. As aforementioned, I prefer the larger PO due to my size preferences. Some have said the dial is less balanced compared to the smaller one, but I disagree. I think the bezel is great and on a rubber it just looks fantastic. So ultimately I think that you should decide what you want to add to the collection in terms of variety (already an awesome one I might add!:-!), the purpose (formal wear etc...) and size preference. This all sounds obvious I know, so apologies if I am being redundant here.
Regardless, a great dilemma to have!
Best regards
Aaron

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

I like both sizes and I too have 7 3/4 wrist... on my wrist the 42mm looks better on bracelet, but prefer the look of the 45mm on rubber strap... take that for what it is worth... 42mm has much more wrist presence than the "ultra slim" SMP even though spec wise and in some pictures it doesn't look this way, again just just my opinion though.

For longevity sake I personally think the 42mm is more classic size that will stand the test of time if it is a lifetime keeper type ... (not saying the 45 won't ... just that the 42mm size is surely "not" going to go out of style..

·
Registered
2,609 Posts

I would go with the 45.5mm insead of the 42 because you are about the same size as I am. I have a Speedy at 42mm and its the perfect size for that type of dressier watch but a diver for my size wrist I think 45 would be perfect. I have tried on both and the 45mm is a perfect size for that diver.

·
Registered
21,050 Posts

45.5, all the way.

·
Registered
8,547 Posts

I can't recommend trying them on strongly enough... It's great to have others' opinions, but the fact is that we have differently shaped wrists, even if they are of comparable diameters. Not to mention different tastes... I've tried on both, on rubber and steel, and it's considerable to me how different they are on-wrist vs. looking at innumerable pics in ways I did not anticipate: e.g., I like the 45 on rubber, but the 42 on steel (FWIW I have a 7.5" wrist).

However if you are more interested in reading about impressions, I know there are quite a number of threads on this topic in the Omega forum (quelle surprise!).

Great watch either way, good luck in your search.

Cheers,
HBL

·
Registered
8,547 Posts

I like both sizes and I too have 7 3/4 wrist... on my wrist the 42mm looks better on bracelet, but prefer the look of the 45mm on rubber strap... take that for what it is worth... 42mm has much more wrist presence than the "ultra slim" SMP even though spec wise and in some pictures it doesn't look this way, again just just my opinion though.

For longevity sake I personally think the 42mm is more classic size that will stand the test of time if it is a lifetime keeper type ... (not saying the 45 won't ... just that the 42mm size is surely "not" going to go out of style..
Crue I just noticed you'd made the same point re: the 45 on rubber and steel, I missed that... and I'll add a +1 to the classic aspect of the 42. That is actually the deciding factor for me on this watch.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts