WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I'm new to the forum. I've been snooping around for over a year and finally joined the community when I bought my first luxury timepiece. For years I've been lusting over the Planet Ocean 42mm 8500 and the Rolex Submariner. When I saw the new Planet Ocean released in 2016 with the 8900 movement and the liquid metal bezel, I knew I just had to have it. I was drawn to the liquid metal bezel because i felt that it would be virtually indestructible. I felt that I wouldn't have to be concerned with scratching the minute markings off the bezel or scratching the bezel itself.

About 2 months ago I purchased the watch and wore it practically everyday. I always looked at it with excitement and felt that I made the right decision. I never wore it in risky situations where I could potentially damage the watch. Imagine my shock when I pulled up my sleeve to check the time and my sweater snagged on something. At first I thought my sweater was caught on the bezel grips. When I released the sweater from my watch I ran my finger over the bezel and something sharp cut me. I took a closer look and noticed that the upper part of the 3 at the 30 minute marker had pulled away from the ceramic, almost as if the liquid metal started separating from the ceramic. I am not even sure how that is possible. There is no damage, chips or scratches in the surrounding area. I've included images below. You can see how the 3 is lifted off the ceramic and how there is some fabric caught underneath.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of or experienced something similar? Is this a common issue? I don't think I've seen anyone mention this in all my research. Based on how I treat the watch I doubt this was caused by me. Could this be a defect with manufacturing? I am going to take it to the AD tomorrow to have it checked out. Hopefully they will be able to resolve the issue in a timely manner under warranty.

Has anyone dealt with a warranty issue with Omega? Whats the typically turnaround time?

Analog watch Watch Metal Fashion accessory Titanium
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Metal Titanium

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had to send my SMP in for,warranty service to have it regulated. It was losing a minute per day. The AD sent it to Omega and I had it back in less than a month. Good luck!
Jeff

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's really surprising, given Omega's dedication to quality.. Did you purchase the PO from an authorised dealer / reliable seller? Either way I would send it in tho the AD immediately to have it rectified under warranty, totally unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Wow, when you watch the Omega video on the Liquidmetal process it looks like the metal inlay is much thicker than this. This only appears to be a few thousands of an inch. I'm sure they will take care of you OP. It's well within warranty. I have recently been considering picking one up. This gives me pause. Thank you for sharing. I hope you get fast resolution.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
That does not look too good at all. I am surprised to be honest. My humble 8500 PO, has taken some beating on the bezel but nothing like that has happened. Make sure you get them to fix that under warranty because that definitely looms pretty poor. They should also treat you with a nice extra as well, pretty unacceptable for the quality they are boasting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Quite a disappointment indeed. Keep us apprised of the situation. I'm particularly disappointed in that I was putting aside money to buy my own PO. I'm not put off entirely--not at all--but I am now a bit chastened. Oy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Absolutely! If you're covered by the warranty, you're golden. Get it fixed and enjoy that beautiful watch.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
The liquid metal Planet Oceans are stunning - sorry to see this and hope for a solid resolution. I too am surprised to see how thin those numbers are!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this really possible? Looks like a nightmare. Watched the demovideo and maybe there has been some hacking on the omega metalmachine Have they changed the bezel technology since 8500 model? I have seen comments about more "shiny" effect. Still wating mine to arrive. There is some delay, seller says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
220 Posts
As an omega fan I keep looking at the photo, each time cringing inside. Reminds me of the first time I saw the broken lug GSOTM. I really hope the rectifying process goes well OP, and thank you truly for sharing.
Sincerely, David.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would be dissapointed if that were my omega. Hopefully they not only fix it but take care of it quick.

Something like that I would guess omega would simply switch out the bezel and get the timepiece back to you quick as this would be counted as a quality escape.
If the metal did not stick to the ceramic, from a manufacturing and assembly standpoint, wonder if it is possible this may be a batch issue. What if there are more out there with this defect.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.