WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27,720 Posts

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
It was probably the Alpha in Reno's photo, but I know Invicta makes a PO homage too, Model no. 4793.
I just looked at the page for that Invicta on Amazon.com, and it's not shabby at all, aesthetically! :-!

Will Invicta be better quality than Alpha?

·
Registered
27,720 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
double post, curse my slow internets.

·
Premium Member
17,578 Posts
Both brands have their QC issues, though IMHO you are less likely to have trouble with the Invicta out of the box as it uses a Miyota 82xx movement, a workhorse in the true sense of the word. However, you could get the Alpha and buy a spare Miyota movement to replace the original and have a watchmaker drop it in for you, which may be cheaper than the initial outlay for the Invicta.

I went through 3 Alpha PO's, only one had a non-stuttering second hand. By then I had Northeast Watchworks install a Miyota into my first one, and it has run like a champ ever since. The second one I gave to my son's friend, it died so I gave him the third one as I felt guilty for giving him a bum watch for his birthday!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've also been looking at this watch for a little while now, though I've been a bit worried by the various stories that pop up about alpha here and there. Would it really be cheaper to get the Miyota movement and have it put in? That might be the way to go if it isn't too expensive...

·
Registered
27,720 Posts
By then I had Northeast Watchworks install a Miyota into my first one, and it has run like a champ ever since.
Whoa. So that can be done o_O

I was wondering if that was possible... that's a cool info :-!

It's good to know we can keep those little things running, if the movement breaks down |>

·
Premium Member
17,578 Posts
The Miyota movements can be had for $30-50 I believe, at least it was when I had it done two years ago. The movement that was in my Alpha was same size and the hands have the same size holes too.

Cheers,
Griff

P.S. I like that Seiko mod too, very nice!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You need some luck with the PO from Alpha as quality control isn't great (issues with streaking under the glass, dud movements, etc have been posted regularly on the Chinese subforum) but for the money it's a fun throw-away watch. Wear it for a while, enjoy it, throw it away when it breaks. Buy a real Omega if you really, really decide you liked wearing it.

I also very much recommend wearing it on orange shark:

·
Registered
27,720 Posts
I also very much recommend wearing it on orange shark:

Guysie, I just realized that one year ago, when I started looking for an orange PO homage, I first saw your picture :-!

So, YOU are the guy I have to blame for my current ALPHA addiction :-d

What can I say ?...
THANKS !

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Guysie, I just realized that one year ago, when I started looking for an orange PO homage, I first saw your picture :-!
So, YOU are the guy I have to blame for my current ALPHA addiction :-d
What can I say ?...
THANKS !
Hehe, happy to oblige. I just made my first step up price-wise (bought a Stowa Antea) but I've loved my Alpha's dearly and few brands if any beat them at that pricepoint. Though I prefer the Paul Newman to the PO - the classic racing dial with a brown leather strap is just perfect.

·
Registered
27,720 Posts
Hehe, happy to oblige. I just made my first step up price-wise (bought a Stowa Antea) but I've loved my Alpha's dearly and few brands if any beat them at that pricepoint. Though I prefer the Paul Newman to the PO - the classic racing dial with a brown leather strap is just perfect.
Well, I went the opposite road ;-)

I actually bought my Speedy Pro first (and I love it to death), then I discovered the enchanted realm of unexpensive timepieces :-d

So when I talk about the quality of Alphas, I have comparison points ;-)
They're really great...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Both brands have their QC issues, though IMHO you are less likely to have trouble with the Invicta out of the box as it uses a Miyota 82xx movement, a workhorse in the true sense of the word. However, you could get the Alpha and buy a spare Miyota movement to replace the original and have a watchmaker drop it in for you, which may be cheaper than the initial outlay for the Invicta.

I went through 3 Alpha PO's, only one had a non-stuttering second hand. By then I had Northeast Watchworks install a Miyota into my first one, and it has run like a champ ever since. The second one I gave to my son's friend, it died so I gave him the third one as I felt guilty for giving him a bum watch for his birthday!

Cheers,
Griff
WOW,so you went through 3 watches and approx $162.00 just to get 1 good Alpha :-( and I though 1 out of 2 and wasting $20.00 on a mushroom mechanical Chinese was bad.I have been eyeing up the jump hour alphas and the GMT Alphas,but now I think I will just save my money and get a Seiko.My luck I will get 4 dud movements <|
Am I expecting too much to get a affordable mechanical watch that works out of the box and will last a few years?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here is the Invicta PO homage next to the real thing:

I sold the Invicta to pay for my Omega mesh. I had originally bought the Invitca to "test drive" the look of the PO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.