WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am having a trouble choosing between these two or three watches
the Rolex sub date or the Omega PO(planet ocean) or the Rolex Sea Dweller
Wich one do you think is better? and more nice looking and tough? and what brand do you like better? Rolex vs Omega? and please give me Pros and Cons
tanx in advance:-!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have both a PO and a Submariner 50th Ed., personally, I think the PO is a nice as the Sub date or SD, I wear the PO daily because I like the more substantial feeling of the watch and the larger dial and AR coating. Both are from prestige swiss makers and their movements are robust so with some cares they would last a life time.

It depends on how much you want to spend. Have fun shopping.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have both a PO and a Submariner 50th Ed., personally, I think the PO is a nice as the Sub date or SD, I wear the PO daily because I like the more substantial feeling of the watch and the larger dial and AR coating. Both are from prestige swiss makers and their movements are robust so with some cares they would last a life time.

It depends on how much you want to spend. Have fun shopping.
Well, you just mess up my mind more :-s
Now I don't know for sure what to choose

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Wich one do you think is better?
My next watch is going to be a 42mm PO (Not 45mm, because I think it´s a more classic size), so that would be my first choice. Next I would go with the dweller but it would have to be slightly used to be in the same price range.
and more nice looking and tough?
PO all the way(I like the arrow hands and better built bracelet) but dweller above a sub. My choice in a sub would be the non date one, I love the classic look it has.
and what brand do you like better?
OMEGA, but you are asking the wrong crowd. You should also post this at the Rolex forum to get another biased answer and form your opinion out of the two
Rolex vs Omega? and please give me Pros and Cons
Both are good so It´s really just a matter of personal taste. Price/benefit ratio is a pro for Omega and con for Rolex. I don´t like the bling factor associated with Rolex and thats why I like the dweller over the sub. It´s not as known as the sub date, more rugged, water resistant to 4000ft, has an automatic helium scape valve plus there´s not much of a price difference between one and another.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Go with the PO

Wich one do you think is better? and more nice looking and tough? and what brand do you like better? Rolex vs Omega? and please give me Pros and Cons
I don't have a Rolex, so I can't vouch for anything on that end, but I do own a PO and have commented before that I think the PO is one of the finest dive watches on the market today. The cal 2500c has demonstrated amazing accuracy and the fit and finish of the watch is truly superb.

And the best part, is that with discounts, you can easily pick up a PO for half the cost of a Sub or Sea Dweller. My advice to you is to pick up a PO and a Speedmaster Professional. You could get both(with readily available discounts) for what you would pay for the Rolex, and you would have two very fine timepieces to swap out.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Go with the PO

I don't have a Rolex, so I can't vouch for anything on that end, but I do own a PO and have commented before that I think the PO is one of the finest dive watches on the market today. The cal 2500c has demonstrated amazing accuracy and the fit and finish of the watch is truly superb.

And the best part, is that with discounts, you can easily pick up a PO for half the cost of a Sub or Sea Dweller. My advice to you is to pick up a PO and a Speedmaster Professional. You could get both(with readily available discounts) for what you would pay for the Rolex, and you would have two very fine timepieces to swap out.
:-!
So, you arn't recommend the Rolex? isn't worth the extra $$$ ?
I know it is an expensive watch, but I want a watch that will be classic, a one that I will proudly give to my son some day - know days I don't have much money, but I guess one day I will have and get all the above watches (PO,SPEEDMASTER PRO, and so on), so I want a one special watch that I will allways come back to and be proud of it

and most of all I am afraid of the "ROLEX SYNDROM" - I mean buying a not Rolex watch like Omega and than thinking "what if..." :-s

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Re: Go with the PO

:-!
So, you arn't recommend the Rolex? isn't worth the extra $$$ ?
I know it is an expensive watch, but I want a watch that will be classic, a one that I will proudly give to my son some day - know days I don't have much money, but I guess one day I will have and get all the above watches (PO,SPEEDMASTER PRO, and so on), so I want a one special watch that I will allways come back to and be proud of it

and most of all I am afraid of the "ROLEX SYNDROM" - I mean buying a not Rolex watch like Omega and than thinking "what if..." :-s

I faced the same decision several years ago when I bought my first Omega, a seamaster 300. I really wanted the Sub, but I could not justify the exorbitant price. Would I like to have a Rolex Sea Dweller, of course I would, but not at that price. And consider the Speedmaster. It has remained virtually unchanged since the 60s when It was introduced, and is the only watch to have been worn on the moon, and is considered by many one of the finest hand wound chronograph movements ever made.

You know, I still every now and then have those what ifs, but I simply could not live with myself if I paid that much for a watch when in my mind, the only benefit would be to say I own a Rolex. Its the accountant in me and I have never been one to make a purchase based on name recognition. I am completely satisified with my decision to go with Omega over Rolex, and my two Omega's have been extremely good watches for me. And, no one has ever asked me if my watch is real or fake!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've got the PO and really like it. I've been contemplating purchasing a Sub date, but I can't justify spending the extra money on one. I'm sure the Sub. is a stellar watch, but I've been very pleased with the PO. :-!

·
6,880 Posts
I don't want to offend any Rolex owners so I'll preface this by stating this is only my opinion, not fact. I think the Rolex beats the Omega in these areas:

1) The Sea Dweller's movement has been around much longer than the Planet Ocean's, so it has a much longer history of reliability, durability, and accuracy.

2) The Rolex clasp has a "fine adjustment" capability, which is lacking on the PO. I think the overall quality of the Omega bracelet and clasp is better, but the Omega's clasp lacks the fine adjustment ability.

3) The Rolex has a greater depth rating and has a built-in, automatic helium relief valve (unlike the PO's which has to be opened manually). However, unless you are a serious diver who plans to use the watch below 600 meters, I doubt either of these things will mean anything to you.

4) The Rolex has no outer anti-reflective coating on its crystal which can easily be scratched. Of course, the Rolex also has no inner coating, and its crystal is flat, so the PO's domed crystal is better at reducing glare. The outer coating can also easily be removed if it becomes too scratched up for your liking.

5) The white gold encased dial markers add a nice, classy touch to the Sea Dweller's dial.

In all honesty, though, I am in 100% agreement with those who feel the Rolex is greatly overpriced. After all, $5375 is the current MSRP for a Sea Dweller, and you won't get a discount from that price. With a PO retailing for $3400 and 30% discounts to be had, you could buy two PO's and still spend less than you would on one Sea Dweller. I don't for a minute believe that the Sea Dweller is actually worth $5375, but I believe Rolex is simply doing what any company in their position would do - they are charging that much because people will pay it. The Rolex name alone is worth a lot of money to people, so if people will pay it, Rolex will charge it.

Just my 2 cents....
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

It all comes down to what you want.
I would pick whichever one you think looks the best on you and makes you the happiest.:-!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm in total agreement with John, too.

But the trouble with Rolex is, once you've been there, you can't go back. You may wear your other watches and all, but when the occasion calls for it; whether you want to make an impression or for a significant event even if no one see it, the SD gets slapped on again.

Being a new owner of the 42mm PO, it's the current flavour of the week. But once the novelty wears off and all things being equal, it'll be the SD back in it's 'rightful place' again. Don't get me wrong, it's not a snob thing. Just this intangible feeling that this thing is indestructible and if it does get banged up, biting off more than it can chew, the elves in Rolex-Singapore will be around to do their magic. I tend to baby my other watches, but never with the SD. But with what I've heard about the Customer Service for Omega, I might change my mind about babying the PO too much as well.

Here in Singapore it's S$5100 vs S$8400($7800 being the norm) list. Of course, discounts of above 20% can easily be had for the former. The PO remains a whole lot of watch for the money and IMHO, the ONLY shortcoming being the external AR coating. Period.

BR,
w a y

·
Registered
18 Posts
For what it's worth........

I have been seriously looking at buying a Planet Ocean for a few months. Money is not an issue and I love the look and feel of the watch. But.............I wear, everyday, a beautiful Rolex Thunderbird that I've had for 25 years and can't imagine I would wear the PO enough to do it justice. The T-Bird still catches my eye even after owning it this long. As mentioned above, this is only my opinion but once you go Rollie........

Good luck!

WS

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
If possible you should visit a store that sells both and handle both.
You may be surprised.
I used to be sure I wanted a Rolex sport watch of some type and I knew I mostly wanted the "name" (I'm shallow like that).
I made the mistake of visiting a jeweler and trying on some Rollies while wearing my Stowa Seatime, a 900$ German watch.
The Subs n such just felt like plastic on the wrist after the Seatime.
Not that heavier is necessarily better but all aspects of my relatively cheap german diver, to my eye, were at least as nicely done.
I'd wager anything that if you could find 100 mythical people that had no clue about the Rolex name and have them handle it and my Stowa and have them put a 900$ price on one and 5k+ on the other in a blind test, the Stowa would win in a landslide. I may very well still get A Rolex one day, but I'll be careful what I wear to the jeweler!

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I faced the same decision several years ago when I bought my first Omega, a seamaster 300. I really wanted the Sub, but I could not justify the exorbitant price. Would I like to have a Rolex Sea Dweller, of course I would, but not at that price. And consider the Speedmaster. It has remained virtually unchanged since the 60s when It was introduced, and is the only watch to have been worn on the moon, and is considered by many one of the finest hand wound chronograph movements ever made.

You know, I still every now and then have those what ifs, but I simply could not live with myself if I paid that much for a watch when in my mind, the only benefit would be to say I own a Rolex. Its the accountant in me and I have never been one to make a purchase based on name recognition. I am completely satisified with my decision to go with Omega over Rolex, and my two Omega's have been extremely good watches for me. And, no one has ever asked me if my watch is real or fake!
WOW, great rpley
I think you right when it come to price, I mean having a 2000-3000 $ is much more sutible and "easy" than 5000-6000 (it is twice the price o| )
about the SPEEMASTER PRO - I love watches, but want an AUTO one, not hand wind, even thought I will get myself one day this watch because it is a classic :)
Also, I don't like that much CHRONOs, I want a "simple" watch with hours, seconds a minutes markers, nothing more "sophisticated"

About the name, well Rolex is a good name, but so is Omega!
So I don't care that much about the name
I do care about the durabilty and strong of the watch, and being have a good mechanical movement - but both have a very nice, so it is hard to choose.
and about people asking me if it is real or fake, not even that I don't care; I am a shy guy, so I will probably say its fake;-)
As long as I know what its worth, that what important.

I've got the PO and really like it. I've been contemplating purchasing a Sub date, but I can't justify spending the extra money on one. I'm sure the Sub. is a stellar watch, but I've been very pleased with the PO. :-!
REally? how good is the PO ? it look damm nice, but will it design be something that will last? what if Omega decide to turn it off few years from now or something?

I don't want to offend any Rolex owners so I'll preface this by stating this is only my opinion, not fact. I think the Rolex beats the Omega in these areas:

1) The Sea Dweller's movement has been around much longer than the Planet Ocean's, so it has a much longer history of reliability, durability, and accuracy.

2) The Rolex clasp has a "fine adjustment" capability, which is lacking on the PO. I think the overall quality of the Omega bracelet and clasp is better, but the Omega's clasp lacks the fine adjustment ability.

3) The Rolex has a greater depth rating and has a built-in, automatic helium relief valve (unlike the PO's which has to be opened manually). However, unless you are a serious diver who plans to use the watch below 600 meters, I doubt either of these things will mean anything to you.

4) The Rolex has no outer anti-reflective coating on its crystal which can easily be scratched. Of course, the Rolex also has no inner coating, and its crystal is flat, so the PO's domed crystal is better at reducing glare. The outer coating can also easily be removed if it becomes too scratched up for your liking.

5) The white gold encased dial markers add a nice, classy touch to the Sea Dweller's dial.

In all honesty, though, I am in 100% agreement with those who feel the Rolex is greatly overpriced. After all, $5375 is the current MSRP for a Sea Dweller, and you won't get a discount from that price. With a PO retailing for $3400 and 30% discounts to be had, you could buy two PO's and still spend less than you would on one Sea Dweller. I don't for a minute believe that the Sea Dweller is actually worth $5375, but I believe Rolex is simply doing what any company in their position would do - they are charging that much because people will pay it. The Rolex name alone is worth a lot of money to people, so if people will pay it, Rolex will charge it.

Just my 2 cents....
WOW, totally agree with all that you said!
I do think that Omega bracelet and clasp are much better than Rolex, also sea depth and helium escape arn't important for me, because I am not a PRO diver, can't see myself dive for more than 60 M
The Sea Dweller's movement is an amazing one, sure beat Omega here I think
even thought it isn't that much decortaed as Omegs.
Also I prefer having a watch with anti-reflective, because I love to see my watch clear in all conditions.

The white gold encased dial markers - this is something I really liked!!! give some good points cradit for Rolex, also the "black" style of Rolex is cool!
The only problem I guess is the PRICE , Rolex is just over over rating their price, I don't think the SD is worth more than 3800$, and taking for it 5500$ is just too much

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

It all comes down to what you want.
I would pick whichever one you think looks the best on you and makes you the happiest.:-!
Yep, just need to have the money too ;-)

I'm in total agreement with John, too.

But the trouble with Rolex is, once you've been there, you can't go back. You may wear your other watches and all, but when the occasion calls for it; whether you want to make an impression or for a significant event even if no one see it, the SD gets slapped on again.

Being a new owner of the 42mm PO, it's the current flavour of the week. But once the novelty wears off and all things being equal, it'll be the SD back in it's 'rightful place' again. Don't get me wrong, it's not a snob thing. Just this intangible feeling that this thing is indestructible and if it does get banged up, biting off more than it can chew, the elves in Rolex-Singapore will be around to do their magic. I tend to baby my other watches, but never with the SD. But with what I've heard about the Customer Service for Omega, I might change my mind about babying the PO too much as well.

Here in Singapore it's S$5100 vs S$8400($7800 being the norm) list. Of course, discounts of above 20% can easily be had for the former. The PO remains a whole lot of watch for the money and IMHO, the ONLY shortcoming being the external AR coating. Period.

BR,
w a y
What you mean by "But the trouble with Rolex is, once you've been there, you can't go back"
I mean what is wrong with wearing Omega as a dress watch and as a "tool" watch?

and what about Customer Service ? wich one is better?
So, I could't understand, Do you like the PO or not? and why not wearing it?

For what it's worth........

I have been seriously looking at buying a Planet Ocean for a few months. Money is not an issue and I love the look and feel of the watch. But.............I wear, everyday, a beautiful Rolex Thunderbird that I've had for 25 years and can't imagine I would wear the PO enough to do it justice. The T-Bird still catches my eye even after owning it this long. As mentioned above, this is only my opinion but once you go Rollie........

Good luck!

WS
Yeah well for it's worth is a lot of money, I would but even higher rate watches like patek philippe - but the $ is still and issue<|

If possible you should visit a store that sells both and handle both.
You may be surprised.
I used to be sure I wanted a Rolex sport watch of some type and I knew I mostly wanted the "name" (I'm shallow like that).
I made the mistake of visiting a jeweler and trying on some Rollies while wearing my Stowa Seatime, a 900$ German watch.
The Subs n such just felt like plastic on the wrist after the Seatime.
Not that heavier is necessarily better but all aspects of my relatively cheap german diver, to my eye, were at least as nicely done.
I'd wager anything that if you could find 100 mythical people that had no clue about the Rolex name and have them handle it and my Stowa and have them put a 900$ price on one and 5k+ on the other in a blind test, the Stowa would win in a landslide. I may very well still get A Rolex one day, but I'll be careful what I wear to the jeweler!
Yep, I saw the PO, really loved it, so it is an hard choise, also I am a man that get used to things, so I guess allmost any watch that isn't too much small will look and feel nice on me

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi EAD,

Exactly what I mean. How do you think Rolex has managed to sell their watches at the prices they've asked for? It's that intangible emotional aspect of wearing something 'legendary' for the lack of a better word. Something I have yet to experience with other brands; not very widely exposed if I might add due to limited funds. :-d

Frankly, nothing wrong with wearing the PO as a dress or tool watch. But why risk marring the external AR coat which anyone here would know is not as durable as the base sapphire crystal itself? OTOH, the bracelet of the PO is beautifully executed for the price range. Excellent design considerations! The bracelet of the SD marks itself to hell the moment you size it, engage the clasp and/or extend the diver's extension! Just check out the sides of the links in questions as well as the link in contact with the clasp! And I haven't even gone into the stamped sheet metal bit yet. :)

And from what I've read, Omega's Customer Service is great! Not like the mafia- or cartel-like business model Rolex has chosen to adopt. I mean, what's with the not returning the swapped-out parts and centralising of all spare parts at only their regional service centres? Though yet to experience it, I'd say that Omega's Customer Service takes this one hands down.

And have you met anyone who'd buy something he or she didn't like? :) Mind you, I had to save a whole year to get my hands on a PO.

BR,
w a y

What you mean by "But the trouble with Rolex is, once you've been there, you can't go back."

I mean what is wrong with wearing Omega as a dress watch and as a "tool" watch?

And what about Customer Service ? wich one is better?
So, I could't understand, Do you like the PO or not? and why not wearing it?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Compare them in person

I think John offers some excellent advice here:
If possible you should visit a store that sells both and handle both...
Find a shop that carries both brands and compare them in person. Just a couple of nights ago, I was out with a couple buddies who both received very nice Christmas gifts. One received a Seadweller and the other a SMP Bond GMT. We passed them around, studied them both, felt their heft and presence on the wrist.

When all was said and done, all three of us agreed that the SMP looked and felt like the more substantial watch, even my buddy with the Rolex. (I happened to be wearing Speedy, which made the comparison even more interesting). I have no doubt that if we had been comparing a PO instead of an SMP, the sentiment would have been the same.

Both are extremely rugged, solid watches that will last a lifetime and beyond. It comes down to your aesthetic preference and how much you want that little crown on the dial.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

eric

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I agree with much of what has been written here. I am an omega die hard fan, but i think that in terms of which is the better watch, the PO or the rolex, the seadweller wins hands down... i had a similar decision to make and bougfht the seadweller

The seadweller is what i would call a real diving watch, it was made / designed with comex for diving when rolex as a manufacturer was in the tool watch business rather than the jewellry buisness which it seems to head towards today... Altough the PO is a great watch, i would classify it more of a desk diver.. it wasnt made as a watch primarily to serve as a tool to divers like the SD was.. more of a luxury product which also is a dive watch.

The 3135 movemnt is the ultimtae tool movement. Although i am a great fan of the co-axial movement (i own an AT) i think that the 3135 movement is a better movement for a toolwatch.

I also think that the seadweller is much more of a timeless design.

Do i think that the rolex is worth the $$$$... NO WAY! i think if money was no object i would 100% buy the seadweller.. but given that these days you can buy 2 PO's for 1 SD then the decsion is much more difficult. In terms of what you get for your $$$$ there is no comparison.. the PO wins hands down.
In your position i personally would try to buy a gently used SD which seem to sell for $3500-4000 usd.. although as others have said, try both on and see which smiles to you.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with much of what has been written here. I am an omega die hard fan, but i think that in terms of which is the better watch, the PO or the rolex, the seadweller wins hands down... i had a similar decision to make and bougfht the seadweller

The seadweller is what i would call a real diving watch, it was made / designed with comex for diving when rolex as a manufacturer was in the tool watch business rather than the jewellry buisness which it seems to head towards today... Altough the PO is a great watch, i would classify it more of a desk diver.. it wasnt made as a watch primarily to serve as a tool to divers like the SD was.. more of a luxury product which also is a dive watch.

The 3135 movemnt is the ultimtae tool movement. Although i am a great fan of the co-axial movement (i own an AT) i think that the 3135 movement is a better movement for a toolwatch.

I also think that the seadweller is much more of a timeless design.

Do i think that the rolex is worth the $$$$... NO WAY! i think if money was no object i would 100% buy the seadweller.. but given that these days you can buy 2 PO's for 1 SD then the decsion is much more difficult. In terms of what you get for your $$$$ there is no comparison.. the PO wins hands down.
In your position i personally would try to buy a gently used SD which seem to sell for $3500-4000 usd.. although as others have said, try both on and see which smiles to you.
So it is an hard choise to mad! :-s
I do think the SD is a great Dive watch, but I want also a classic look watch that can be also a dress watch
also I want one watch that will handle every sport and extrem active I do like GYM or Diving and so on, and the PROBLEM is $$$$
It is allmost twice the money,
and how is that in Omega forum so many love the SD? what about giving me both pros and cons of both of them ?

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Interesting how these often end up as the final choices....

Find a shop that carries both brands and compare them in person.
eric
for a lot of folks. I had this same dilemma just last week, and so I went to an AD and tried on both the SD and the PO. I wanted to see first-hand how each felt on the wrist and the level of quality of each. While the SD is an amazing watch with a fine lineage, the PO just felt a bit more solid and better executed, a great bracelet too. And the coax movement was a factor too.
I went with a 42mm black PO.
DW

ps: after selling off my speedies and seamasters a couple of years ago, this is my first modern omega.

·
Premium Member
13,251 Posts
Re: Interesting how these often end up as the final choices....

I think the other solution is to buy a used sea dweller or sub so you won't have to spend so many bucks. I prefer the sub/sea dweller because of its conservative designed and proven movement but I can't deny that a PO offers more than a lot for the money for example great legibility, comfortable rubber bracelet, great steel bracelet and as well as a warrnty of three years. The choice is up to you. Both Omega and Rolex being very great brands with significant history,the final choice is just a matter of personal preference.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts