WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
Interesting article. It predicts Omega will increase prices on all models this yer and a green SMP.

The majority of their 2021 predictions were wrong sooo....
  1. Green SMP300: Wrong
  2. Mars Speedy: Wrong
  3. Speedy 57' Ceramic Dial: Wrong
  4. SMP 300 GMT: Wrong
  5. Red AT: Wrong
  6. Annual calendar Globemaster: Correct
  7. Limiting of SKUs: Ehh maybe? Not really? We had plenty of Olympic editions and other special editions
  8. Releases spread out the year: Hasn't this always kinda been the case? But ok sure, correct.
  9. No price increases: Wrong
  10. No changes to Ladies models: Wrong
So if I'm being generous, they got 3 out of 10 predictions right lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The majority of their 2021 predictions were wrong sooo....
  1. Green SMP300: Wrong
  2. Mars Speedy: Wrong
  3. Speedy 57' Ceramic Dial: Wrong
  4. SMP 300 GMT: Wrong
  5. Red AT: Wrong
  6. Annual calendar Globemaster: Correct
  7. Limiting of SKUs: Ehh maybe? Not really? We had plenty of Olympic editions and other special editions
  8. Releases spread out the year: Hasn't this always kinda been the case? But ok sure, correct.
  9. No price increases: Wrong
  10. No changes to Ladies models: Wrong
So if I'm being generous, they got 3 out of 10 predictions right lol.
Good catch.
I didn't know they do yearly Omega predictions.:LOL:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can confirm that there will be a price rise (in the UK at least) on 1st Feb 2022. I picked up a New SS 321 (amazing piece) this week and I asked the manager and she confirmed it is happening.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
I can confirm that there will be a price rise (in the UK at least) on 1st Feb 2022. I picked up a New SS 321 (amazing piece) this week and I asked the manager and she confirmed it is happening.
Congrats on the 321 - my AD hasnt had one yet despite long waiting list n order

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Thanks so much, I got mine from the Boutique - I'm not sure if they have filtered through to the ADs yet. It is definitely worth the wait - amazing piece.
What a stunning piece. If I were ever to spend that much dough on a watch, it would definitely be this. People are spending more than that on a hulk/pepsi and I find that to be insane.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Thanks so much, I got mine from the Boutique - I'm not sure if they have filtered through to the ADs yet. It is definitely worth the wait - amazing piece.
perfection

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
As a Canadian, have to say this is the best take on Omega’s pricing in our country - well said.

If it were for the 22% discount I got on my 3861 Hesalite, no way I would have bought it. Like you, I’m only working with ADs for Rolex now. There are some good grey dealers through Canadian watch forums, but none are the size of say DavidSW. On top, if you don’t live in Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver, just seeing watches to try on is a real chore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree that it is becoming harder and harder to see watches here in Canada, let alone buy them, although I'd say that both Calgary and Winnipeg have some excellent ADs in my experience.

My interest in Omega began with an inherited 1961 Seamaster -- still among my favourites on its BoR bracelet. When I started with modern watches 5-6 years ago it was still possible to try and buy, and while the baked-in 30% discount seemed more legendary than reality in my Omega shopping ventures, it was still possible to buy into the SMP at or just below CAD 5k, a little more for the Aqua Terra if you wanted it in blue or black, and sometimes even less for a hesalite Speedy Pro -- heck, my first FOIS was well under 5. Now it's getting harder to find popular models in the display cases and certainly harder to negotiate on them.

Now the SMP is a mid-7k watch, the AT is heading for 8k, and I expect the sapphire 3861 to hit 9k with minimal discounting as wholesale prices rise. Good for Omega, I guess, and for those who bought in before 2020, but it does push the brand out of reach for most, as used prices rise apace, and does seem to impact the brand ethos of technically superb industrialized watchmaking for the many, if not the most.

I've gone through several SMPs, too many Speedies and one Snoopy, and with a recent AT, I'm out, excluding vintage. Plenty of superb Omegas, but plenty of other marques also, and I agree with others here that while getting hosed on retail pricing vs the US is a typically Canadian experience, it has become increasingly galling of late. 2020 saw, IIRC, three separate price hikes; how many more before we see the bread-and-butter models hitting 5 figures?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Does anyone have an update on what % increase is coming? I hope its not the 10% as rumoured. SMP in Canada just went up like two months ago and may go up again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Raising prices and limiting/eliminating discounts. Good luck with that. Yeah the watch market is nuts right now but it's not going to last forever.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Raising prices and limiting/eliminating discounts. Good luck with that. Yeah the watch market is nuts right now but it's not going to last forever.
They have been saying that about Real Estate for sometime now.... I am still waiting for that bubble to burst...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Neither is irreversible if/when the market goes soft. And resuming discounting would be the least obvious rollback.

I think we forget that the vast majority of retail customers are probably not aware that discounting new watches is a common practice for many AD's. I suspect it never occurs to most buyers unless the dealer offers a discount to get them off the fence, or they've spent time researching and comparing prices. Therefore a small price increase at a time when the cost of just about everything is going up is not likely to be the deal killer we think it is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Does anyone have an update on what % increase is coming? I hope its not the 10% as rumoured. SMP in Canada just went up like two months ago and may go up again.
It looks like it’s going to be 10% across the board. Yikes!
Glad I bought all the Omegas I wanted a year ago.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yep. A new 3861 with the 10% increase plus taxes will set you back almost 9k. 😳
Lol. Wont set me back one cent since I won’t be buying one. Based on experiences here the pre owned market has a glut of nice watches on it that aren’t moving. That tells me we are reaching the end of this craziness. Prices across all brands are out of control. Oris wants 4k for their watches. I’ll let others take the loss. I have plenty of discretionary income but once you get into the 5s and 6s for watches that used to cost in the 4s something has to give.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts