WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to wrangle a trade in for about nine watches of mine for a watch and cash, but I'm having a tough time choosing between those two watches. Yes, I do know the two are like night and day, but I'm looking for a decent dress watch which I might gift my dad.

I think the Eberhard is a bit rarer and more of a classy watch. The 8 day power reserve is really nice feature as well (handwind). The Omega is a bit more versatile and can dress-down, unlike the Eberhard. I might also be getting the Eberhard at a slightly lesser price (both are brand new) ... ahh, might as well go ahead and welcome me officially to flipperville now, Dennis :-d

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Which social setting does your dad find himself the majority of time? Does he wear watches during specific outings, or is he likely to wear one, day in, day out?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He likes to wear his watches most of the day, just takes them off when he's out golfing - usually wears a quartz then. He used to have a very impressive collection of vintages, so I think he'd prefer something a bit old-fashioned.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
He likes to wear his watches most of the day, just takes them off when he's out golfing - usually wears a quartz then. He used to have a very impressive collection of vintages, so I think he'd prefer something a bit old-fashioned.
How could you go wrong :-!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The Eberhart.
The Railmaster is the least visually nice Omega since the early 1970ies. IMO.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How could you go wrong :-!

This one might be a slightly older model, but just as beautiful as the ones you've displayed, I think. And, I suspect the case of this model is SS, not gold.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
This one might be a slightly older model, but just as beautiful as the ones you've displayed, I think. And, I suspect the case of this model is SS, not gold.
Oh yes! I like that even more.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I would definitely go for the Eberhard. Seem like a really nice watch wth a special movement. The Railmaster is just another Omega like the Aquaterra to me.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would always opt for the more rare and unique watch if given the choice...an 8 day power reserve is not something usually found in this price point to my knowledge and is a pretty cool feature. Also, I don't know about you, but I've had a harder time finding Eberhard watches than Omegas...which means that if you or your father change your mind, picking up an Omega won't be hard.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would always opt for the more rare and unique watch if given the choice...an 8 day power reserve is not something usually found in this price point to my knowledge and is a pretty cool feature. Also, I don't know about you, but I've had a harder time finding Eberhard watches than Omegas...which means that if you or your father change your mind, picking up an Omega won't be hard.
That's very true, and he prefers the tactile feel of handwinds - he can wind his watch whenever he winds his two wall clocks (both 8 days, too), and that's a bonus! :-!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What kind of caliber does Eberhard use? Is it in-house or what? I'm surprised that at this price point (as pointed by Chris right above) there aren't any other offerings from other manufactures (or at least none that that I am aware of)

The Railmaster is a nice watch and at some point before settling for an U2 I was quite interested with it but in the end the lack of a date feature was a deal breaker.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Oh yes! I like that even more.
I had one with Arabic dial.

BEAUTIFUL movement, but alas, they did not make displayback (I believe recent ones have viewing window)

There is NOTHING coming CLOSE to this caliber at this price point. However, I believe the movement is modified pseux 7001 with additional barrel added with 6 ft long spring. The movement is exceptionally well finished, however, I do not believe your local watchmaker will be able to service this particular one, I opened up mine in hopes of regulating it, but after admiring the movement, just closed it up as I could not figure out the regulation mechanism (I am SURE it can be done but as a watch novice, I could not figure it out)

However, be aware that depreciation on Eberhard is HARD! Flipping this one will cost you an arm and a leg.

My pics:

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful pics, thanks for sharing! Well, I don't think my dad will flip it, he'll definitely keep it if he likes the watch. Anyways, even if he does I'm sure it'll give him a few years of joy :)

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is what I got from a search -
Eberhard cal. 15 896-1 manual wind movement (based on Peseux 7001) with 8 Days power reserve.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Since it's a gift (and thus resale value isn't much of an issue) the Eberhard. 8 days reserve and great looks.
The Omega just isn't that special.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts

Easy choice.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20