WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent in my Planet Ocean 2500c for a service, I was told it would take 9 weeks! Seems like a long time to me. Is that normal?

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
550 Posts
I sent in my Planet Ocean 2500c for a service, I was told it would take 9 weeks! Seems like a long time to me. Is that normal?
I wouldn't say normal, but within expectation. OTOH, I just got mine from service and it took three weeks, so they may surprise you.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I sent my Planet Ocean into Omega for service in the middle of the pandemic shutdown in May of last year, got it back in August. Twelve weeks. So, nine weeks seems very realistic.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Normal. I work for a watch brand and repairs take anywhere from eight to twelve weeks, with around nine to ten weeks being the norm. Simpler jobs get done within four to six weeks.
Occasional parts delays can add to this time-frame, and Covid-related flight restrictions can throw a spanner in the works as well.
Also, I've noticed over the years that Jan/Feb can tend to be a little busier too. At least here in Australia, where it's summer during the Christmas/New Year period. We get a slightly higher rate of accidental damage (people maybe drinking too much and getting into mishaps or more exposure to risk of damage) and water-entry issues (people going into water with a non-water resistant watch or one that hasn't had its seals checked/replaced.)
Not only all of that, but there aren't as many watchmakers around as there were back in the 1950s, '60s and '70s.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sounds like what we usually see. For future reference, Nesbit's in Seattle is an excellent resource for factory-authorized service to Omega watches. Prices are equal to Omega prices, but quality control is very tight, they can be more accommodating, and turn-around is normally quicker.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That’s pretty normal. I sent in my wife’s quartz Seamaster through Omega Las Vegas and even that took a bit more than two months turnaround

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Some brands quarantine the watch for a few days before they work on them so 9 weeks is probably a conservative estimate in these days of covid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are factory authorized service centers dotted around the country that typically have it back to you in 4 - 6 weeks.

·
No Sellers Fees, No Buyers Fees
197 Posts
My Omega service took around 3 months. Given the current global situation, your time frame seems good to me. There is a service center in Seattle. In some cases, they send the watch to Switzerland if there are no parts available. That's what I have been told by my AD friend. Cheers.

·
Registered
40 Posts

In 2004 I sent this old timer in for rusted hands to Swatch Group Glen Iris Melbourne , via local Omega Dealer, told it had to go to Bienne Switerland, but it got lost in inventory for well over 6 months, it didn’t leave Melbourne…….waited ,waited for news, assumed it was overseas.
I finally rang and told they were looking for it.
After finding the 300 ,Swatch Melbourne overhauled it here $600 in 2004, I was quite happy with head repair but they left a few tell tale case scratches and dented 1039 bracelet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just got my 2500 a few months ago. It took a few months. I will say who ever did the case finishing did a very sloppy job and obviously didn't check their work. I emailed Omega about this and they were going to have the sevcie center in Miami contact me about it. They never did, of course. Omega offered to have me send the watch back at thier expense and it would be put to the front of the line, no thanks. I ended up selling it a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have a mint 2254.50 I’ve owned for quite a few years but it’s been modded with a 2230 non-AC dial and hands which I love. I want to have it serviced but I’ve been told that Omega would either refuse service or send it back with a stock dial and hands. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I have a mint 2254.50 I’ve owned for quite a few years but it’s been modded with a 2230 non-AC dial and hands which I love. I want to have it serviced but I’ve been told that Omega would either refuse service or send it back with a stock dial and hands. Anyone have any experience with this?
That's the right way to think. Omega will either restore it to their specs or refuse it. Nesbits will call you to discuss what you want done, present an estimate, discuss the line items, then proceed only after your approval. They're not much cheaper, if at all, but they will do what you want.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I dropped mine off earlier this month & they just came back with the 9 week quote. Sounds like their standard line. The jeweler told me it will likely be done end of march.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This 9 week wait thingie, is it just them overestimating and erring on the side of caution, or does it really take 9 weeks?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was going go add that, I had no idea when I sent my vintage 300 through to Omega Service that to request to replace hands only was pretty naive and that’s not how they operate. They replace everything to ensure its pressure compliant.

Yes, it had been completely stripped down and serviced, but also the crystal, crown as well as well the hands replaced.

With this in mind, I certainly would not send a vintage watch to Omega for Service because they will replace cosmetic parts that will reduce its desirability.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts