WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a blue seamaster 300 on someone’s wrist today at eatily in nyc and it was beautiful. Only one thing bothered me - the damn faux lume.

I just got a glance it was on the guy in front of me I didn’t ask to see it or anything. It got me thinking. Am I missing something - are there any of these without aged lume? Or is the lume not meant to look aged at all and just a different color?

just trying to figure it out. In a perfect world I would buy the blue but with the same lume in the sandwich dial as my 300m has.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I saw a blue seamaster 300 on someone’s wrist today at eatily in nyc and it was beautiful. Only one thing bothered me - the damn faux lume.

I just got a glance it was on the guy in front of me I didn’t ask to see it or anything. It got me thinking. Am I missing something - are there any of these without aged lume? Or is the lume not meant to look aged at all and just a different color?

just trying to figure it out. In a perfect world I would buy the blue but with the same lume in the sandwich dial as my 300m has.

You saw one of the new 300 blues in the wild!! That's good news. I'm very interested in that watch, but no one seems to have it. For me, the sandwich lime looks very attractive. Somewhere on this site was a post that reworked the photo to show it w/the white lime - still attractive.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts

It’s one thing that bothers me as well. I have a strong feeling that in 5-10 years all those fauxtina watches will look dated simply because it will go down as a fad. I hope I’m wrong because I do like some fauxtina’d watches, but it must not be overdone. I haven’t made up my mind about the new 300. I want to see it in person before I judge.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’mm
It’s one thing that bothers me as well. I have a strong feeling that in 5-10 years all those fauxtina watches will look dated simply because it will go down as a fad. I hope I’m wrong because I do like some fauxtina’d watches, but it must not be overdone. I haven’t made up my mind about the new 300. I want to see it in person before I judge.
I ultimately need to go to a boutique. It wasn’t even on my radar. I bought a 300m and absolutely love it. I knew of the watch but the faux lume just immediately made me move on. Now tonight I’m looking online and I see that it illuminates the same blues and greens as my seamaster 300m so now it’s got me thinking.

I have a pretty large sum for a new watch since I was thinking Rolex but I’ve just been kind of turned off by them lately. I bought my 300m and it really got me looking around.

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
The vintage market has never been hotter. As a result, many manufacturers are looking to vintage models for heritage inspired styling and the change in lume color is often part of their effort. Some lume colors look great, like the 300mc, while others are big miss for me, like the Pelagos LHD.

I thought the 300mc had a light cream color in real life. Here's a picture of mine:

On the other hand, I thought the lume on the Tudor looked like it was soaked in tinkle:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I don’t mind faux patina lume. The problem is once you go outside on a sunny day and that lume begins to glow and turns into super bright green and looks so misplaced. I have one watch that behaves like that and even though I love the way it looks inside I almost never wear it.

·
Premium Member
7,540 Posts
Are you sure it was actually a SM300 and not a homage? Because the lume is not really noticeable IRL. The faux lume is more obvious on the 60th anniversary version because it's darker, but on the 41mm MC, it's more exaggerated in photos.
20190629_160918.jpg

·
Registered
988 Posts
A new pristine watch with "aged" lume just looks wrong. An old watch wears it's patina well because that "damage" is earned rather than faked.
Same with old Levis. Genuine wear can look good. The ones with factory ripped knees from (K or Wal)Mart? Not so much.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The vintage market has never been hotter. As a result, many manufacturers are looking to vintage models for heritage inspired styling and the change in lume color is often part of their effort. Some lume colors look great, like the 300mc, while others are big miss for me, like the Pelagos LHD.

I thought the 300mc had a light cream color in real life. Here's a picture of mine:

View attachment 15932005

On the other hand, I thought the lume on the Tudor looked like it was soaked in tinkle:

View attachment 15932023
You’ve confused me more. The 300 looks white? Or maybe it’s my phone.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A new pristine watch with "aged" lume just looks wrong. An old watch wears it's patina well because that "damage" is earned rather than faked.
Same with old Levis. Genuine wear can look good. The ones with factory ripped knees from (K or Wal)Mart? Not so much.
Couldn’t agree more. I have always bought jeans new and worn them in. Not to get this thread on jeans

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you sure it was actually a SM300 and not a homage? Because the lume is not really noticeable IRL. The faux lume is more obvious on the 60th anniversary version because it's darker, but on the 41mm MC, it's more exaggerated in photos.
View attachment 15932121
To me that’s very noticeable. Again we are looking on screens. I really need to go to a boutique and decide in person. Really wish you could just order it in pristine new condition with a retro vibe in style not the faux lume

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I think people calling this "faux" aged lume are sort of missing the point that the lume in many watches wasn't white when new. There is ample evidence that lume in many watches was off white to start with, as these advertising images show (note that things like text on the dial and paint on the hands is white, so this is not a colour balance issue):

The cream coloured lume used now is often recreating what new lume would have looked like on the watches when made, and is not "faux aged" as people like to claim.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think people calling this "faux" aged lume are sort of missing the point that the lume in many watches wasn't white when new. There is ample evidence that lume in many watches was off white to start with, as these advertising images show (note that things like text on the dial and paint on the hands is white, so this is not a colour balance issue):

View attachment 15932546

View attachment 15932548 View attachment 15932551

The cream coloured lume used now is often recreating what new lume would have looked like on the watches when made, and is not "faux aged" as people like to claim.

Cheers, Al
I’ve thought of abs agree with this to a point. It is in my opinion they over exaggerate it now though to copy the aged look. I do see your point though and it is certainly valid.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I’ve thought of abs agree with this to a point. It is in my opinion they over exaggerate it now though to copy the aged look. I do see your point though and it is certainly valid.
To me it's just coloured lume, which is used all over the place on various watches (including many Omegas) and no one thought anything of it, until the colour looked like creamy tritium. Then the outrage machine started, and quite honestly it seems that people have gone off their rockers ranting about it being "faux" without really understanding any history of what the older lumes looked like when new.

If people don't like coloured lume that's up to them, but the consistent need to call it "faux" is somewhat ignorant of the facts, and simply feeds the outrage machine.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
14,389 Posts
Here's a grouped shot for a greater comparison
You’ve confused me more. The 300 looks white? Or maybe it’s my phone.
No, it's not white, more of light cream, but it's not very pronounced. Here it is next to a watch with white lume for comparison:

·
Premium Member
2,230 Posts
If you are looking at just the Omega, I guess you have to get what they have to offer. Me personally, I like some of the "aged" colors on some lume. If you are looking for a watch that is a vintage recreation watch, but does not have the "aged" lume, I would suggest a Toppers Oris 65 Maxi. They have a couple left I think. Its the current 65, but they released it as a "what would this watch look like if you bought it brand new in 1965." It is no date and has standard colored brand new looking lume....which is why I bought it.

Sorry if I hi-jacked an Omega only thread, but I brought it up if your looking for a vintage recreation with new lume.

Being that Topper's is a HUGE Omega dealer as well, and they are VERY knowledgable on anything Omega....give them a call if you have any questions. I've never "not" been able to get Omega info from them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are looking at just the Omega, I guess you have to get what they have to offer. Me personally, I like some of the "aged" colors on some lume. If you are looking for a watch that is a vintage recreation watch, but does not have the "aged" lume, I would suggest a Toppers Oris 65 Maxi. They have a couple left I think. Its the current 65, but they released it as a "what would this watch look like if you bought it brand new in 1965." It is no date and has standard colored brand new looking lume....which is why I bought it.

Sorry if I hi-jacked an Omega only thread, but I brought it up if your looking for a vintage recreation with new lume.

Being that Topper's is a HUGE Omega dealer as well, and they are VERY knowledgable on anything Omega....give them a call if you have any questions. I've never "not" been able to get Omega info from them.

that is a good looking oris. Always a big oris fan. I have one and have had a few. Beat bang for your buck out there.

you hit the nail on the head. I want the watch to look like it is bought brand new back then. I like that it has the more modern proportions and tech. I love a few longines that are vintage styled but I just don’t like the lume or the “aged” dials. Really a shame.

I will follow up with toppers though that’s a good call. Almost has me wondering the cost to get it painted. Although that’s something I know I will never actually do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts