WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Custom-made thermocompensated Omega Seamaster 300M

I bought a Bond-style Omega Seamaster 300M with Cal.1538 (ETA 255.461). I replaced the electronic module on the movement with the electronic module from the ETA 255.563 (used in the latest issues of the original Longines VHP - non-perpetual calendar - as caliber L.237.2) and as a result I ended up with an ETA 255.563 thermocompensated movement in my new Seamaster. 'Special edition' and unique as it was the first thermocompensated movement from ETA that used a single oscillator design with built-in thermistor on the IC replacing the dual-oscillator design. Performance (accuracy-wise) is identical to the dual-oscillator ETA movements as well as the current ETA Thermolines as these movements also use the
"inhibition" scheme for thermocompensation.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...I bought a Bond-style Omega Seamaster 300M with Cal.1538 (ETA 255.461). I replaced the electronic module on the movement with the electronic module from the ETA 255.563 (used in the latest issues of the original Longines VHP - non-perpetual calendar - as caliber L.237.2) and as a result I ended up with an ETA 255.563 thermocompensated movement in my new Seamaster...
That's the way Omega should have manufactured the Seamaster in the factory!:-!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Congrats Vizi for the wise upgrade performed.:-!
I'm also interested in such "chimere" watches and wonder how you did the "grafting". You did it yourself? A watchmaker? An AD eventually?
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
Pedro

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I cannot begin to explain how impressed I am with this surgery - where did you source the module?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Congrats Vizi for the wise upgrade performed.:-!
I'm also interested in such "chimere" watches and wonder how you did the "grafting". You did it yourself? A watchmaker? An AD eventually?
Thanks for sharing your experience with us!
Pedro
It was my idea to replace the original movement (the electronic module of the movement). A friend of mine is a watchmaker so he carried out the procedure.

I made the exchange at this;https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=92227

·
Registered
745 Posts
Cool. How different is this to a cal 1441?

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Cool. How different is this to a cal 1441?
"...I ended up with an ETA 255.563 thermocompensated movement ...it was the first thermocompensated movement from ETA that used a single oscillator design with built-in thermistor on the IC replacing the dual-oscillator design. Performance (accuracy-wise) is identical to the dual-oscillator ETA movements as well as the current ETA Thermolines as these movements also use the "inhibition" scheme for thermocompensation."
The ETA 255.561 (Omega Cal.1441) has dual-oscillator.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"...I ended up with an ETA 255.563 thermocompensated movement ...it was the first thermocompensated movement from ETA that used a single oscillator design with built-in thermistor on the IC replacing the dual-oscillator design. Performance (accuracy-wise) is identical to the dual-oscillator ETA movements as well as the current ETA Thermolines as these movements also use the "inhibition" scheme for thermocompensation."
George,in this manner true:-!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ooops, that will teach me not to skim read.... Ive just bought some 255.561s with a view to mounting them instead of the 1438/1538s I have. Do you know how hard swapping the electrics is on these? I know some movts like the f300 are split really easily - electrics on one plate and mechanicals on the other. Are these the same?

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
...Ive just bought some 255.561s with a view to mounting them instead of the 1438/1538s I have. Do you know how hard swapping the electrics is on these?...
All I know that fellow forumer, Vizi, managed to do it himself.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Excellent, and interesting work.

Although I have to say, my standard Bond Seamaster quartz was quite astonishingly accurate, rarely being off by more than a few seconds between GMT/BST changes.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Omegines!

Lomega!

Franken ETA quartz!

Horrors!!!

Resuming normal transmission... "Salut" sir, for a very interesting customization.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Excellent, and interesting work.

Although I have to say, my standard Bond Seamaster quartz was quite astonishingly accurate, rarely being off by more than a few seconds between GMT/BST changes.
Says thanks to you ,1538 original movemnts accurate but not thermocompensated movement.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
All I know that fellow forumer, Vizi, managed to do it himself.
I am suprised this worked. I was under the impression the thermistor was mounted on an additional module which then attached to the control module.

Hummmm.... I have all the docs somewhere... The doc giving the parts explosions are the relevant ones... It will be a week or so before I'll have time to dig up everything.

Priorities... always Priorities :roll:

Reactions: tomsimac
1 - 20 of 68 Posts