WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

38mm or 41mm - 6.5 inch wrist

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to buy an AT on the rubber strap in Black dial. Torn between the 38mm and 41mm variants, I am unsure of the wrist presence of each. I have tried on the 41 at an AD, but they are out of 38s at the time. The 41 looks ok, but since my wrist is only 6.5 inches I have a feeling the 38 will fit better! :/

If anyone has any wrist shots of this watch, particularly the 38mm size, please do share, along with your wrist size!:)

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
38. My wrists are also 6.5 inch and my basic rule of thumb is 34mm to 38mm for dress watches and 39mm to 42mm (max!) for sports watches. The AT has a lot of dial, due to the thinnish bezel and personally, I think the 41mm model will stand out on your wrist.
Of course, if that’s the look you’re going for...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
38mm for sure. There are several considerations; the proportion of the diameter-to-thickness ratio for one. Proportion of the dial itself- for example, I'd only ever get the 36mm Explorer rather than the 39mm. I just feel the proportions are better. Then think about how it fits on your wrist... I have an 8" wrist and can wear pretty much anything- I wore a vintage Omega today, it was 36mm. I also have the 45mm PO (yeah, too big to be sure, but it fits my wrist just fine...) I think my favorite daily is my Tudor Black Bay 58 at 39mm. It's big enough but still has a vintage vibe, and it just disappears on the wrist, you forget you're wearing it until you need to know the time.

Finally, as a guy you want your wrist (and arm) to look big, not your watch. In this case, smaller is better...

38mm, my friend.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

41.5 on my 6.5inch wrist. This is a close-up so looks bigger. I think it works very well.
What I would consider more than the width (both will be OK I am sure), and the ration height vs width. Some smaller diameter Omega seem to look "too heigh" proportion wise for the smaller dials.
Probably worth seing both IRL to compare and see how you feel about it on your wrist.

·
Registered
10,796 Posts
With your 16.51 cm wrist (6.5'') I'd definitely go 38mm. Here is my 39.5mm on my slim 17cm wrist. I think it fits me perfectly. So, 38mm on your wrist would be perfection.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for your valuable feedback!
More cases for the 38 with my wrists size, I am also now leaning more towards that! The 41 on the rubber strap did not fel too bulky or big on my wrist which was strange, however, definitely going to hold off pulling the trigger until i can try on the 38 as well. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With your 16.51 cm wrist (6.5'') I'd definitely go 38mm. Here is my 39.5mm on my slim 17cm wrist. I think it fits me perfectly. So, 38mm on your wrist would be perfection.
Wish there was 39.5 with the rubber strap
Try the 38 when you get the chance and decide which one you like better.
FWIW here's a 41.5 on a 6.75" round wrist. It's a closeup so it actually looks bigger than it is because of the wide angle. I tried the 38 and it was too small for my taste.
View media item 15248669
Looks great! The 41 had a similar look on my wrist as well, holding out till I can try out the 38 as well!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have owned both the 38 and 41 in blue. My wrist is 7.25". Ended up selling the 38 because it seemed a little too smaller. Just a little though. The lug width of 19 was the main downside. The 41 sometimes seems a little too big. Mainly because of the thickness.
They are both great watches. Here the only wrist shot I have of the 38.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Most people would say 38mm given your wrist size, but with the Aqua Terra, I find the 41mm more proportionate. The current Aqua Terra has more compact lugs so a 41mm from this generation wears smaller and more comfortably than the 41.5mm from the prior gen.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to buy an AT on the rubber strap in Black dial. Torn between the 38mm and 41mm variants, I am unsure of the wrist presence of each. I have tried on the 41 at an AD, but they are out of 38s at the time. The 41 looks ok, but since my wrist is only 6.5 inches I have a feeling the 38 will fit better! :/
38.5 mm for anything under a 7.25" wrist.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts